Ohaya

Default Leak under kitchen sink

Hi,

We discovered a small leak under the kitchen sink (one of the valves needed
to be tightened). We've fixed the leak, but the water had moistened the
cabinet bottom somewhat.

We've now dried all that up, and we cut a hole in the cabinet bottom, and
dried the area under that, cleaned it, and applied diluted Clorox bleach
several times.

What I'm wondering about is that that cabinet area under the sink still
smells like mildew. All of it, including the floor under the cabinet bottom
feels dry to the touch.

My wife feels like we should keep the cabinet doors closed, but I've read
that we should leave the doors open to get some air circulation under there.
I'm also thinking that we should keep some of the windows (just above the
sink area) open a bit to get more air.

What's the best way to get rid of this smell?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. We have someone coming in to see if they think that we need to do any
replacements, but assuming that that is not the case, I'm wondering how we
get to removing the odor....

Tom Baker

"Ohaya" wrote in message news:hKf_b.10572$f23.2323@lakeread02...
[...]

We've lived through similar problems more than once. You don't say
what materials are involved, but wood and wood composites can hold a
lot of water for a long time. Air circulation usually solves the
problem over time. If you have a fan that can help in the early
stages. Leaving the doors open is a help too. Closing the doors traps
a volume of air whichy picks up water more and more slowly as it
eventually reaches its capacity for holding moisture. Opening the
cabinet doors allows the moisture in the air to be distributed through
the volume of the room.

TB
m Ransley

Some areas are still moist thats why you smell mold, it could be in the
floor. Spraying bleach may get it to areas you missed. then let it dry
it may take a few weeks fo the smel to go away

Phisherman

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:50:19 -0500, "Ohaya"
wrote:

[...]

Empty out the cabinet, open the doors (or remove them), and run a fan
for a week blowing into the cabinet. A small heater is even better if
you practice safety precautions. Replace any wood that has rotted.
Placing a bowl of vinegar in the cabinet will temporarily remove odor
(as will Fabreez), but you need to get the source of the problem.

Ohaya

"Tom Baker" wrote in message
om...
"Ohaya" wrote in message

[...]

Tom,

Thanks. The cabinet/cabinet bottom material was typical, composite with
veneer. The flooring under the cabinet bottom is plywood. We've now
enlarged the hole in the cabinet bottom so that we can completely clean
under there.

The really sad part of all of this is apparently she had noticed this leak,
about 2 weeks ago, and didn't mention it to me because she "didn't want to
worry me" ... Simply tightening the valve nut stopped the leak...

Terry

A low power hair dryer or set on low heat and monitored can be a help to get
air circulating. Damp plus no circulation can equal dry rot!
If the moisture has got into composite wood materail such as a strand board
floor or the cabinet itself? it may take a while to dry out!
Makes the point too that with almost all home repair it's best to get at or
at least temporarily alleviate the problem; for example a small bowl or
empty can placed under the drip and emptied every couple of days?
I was once involved with a public housing authority. Some homes had
conscientous occupants who would either fix small items temporarily or would
phone the maintenance office at first opportunity. Their homes were always
in the best shape!

Ohaya

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

A low power hair dryer or set on low heat and monitored can be a help to

get
air circulating. Damp plus no circulation can equal dry rot!
If the moisture has got into composite wood materail such as a strand

board
floor or the cabinet itself? it may take a while to dry out!
Makes the point too that with almost all home repair it's best to get at

or
at least temporarily alleviate the problem; for example a small bowl or
empty can placed under the drip and emptied every couple of days?
I was once involved with a public housing authority. Some homes had
conscientous occupants who would either fix small items temporarily or

would
phone the maintenance office at first opportunity. Their homes were always
in the best shape!

Terry,

At this point, we've just about torn out the cabinet bottom (not the
flooring), so I think all that is gone now.

Re. your other comment, you may find this funny. Apparently my wife had
noticed the leak at least 2 weeks ago, and for some reason she decided not
to tell me about it. I think that she knows I worry about these things, and
was trying to find somebody to fix it, even though all it took for the leak
was tightening the valve .

Not sure what to do about that one !!!