Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default Preventing black gunk in sink drains

jaynews wrote:
I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the result of
using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap that is less
prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example, would a soap with
Triclosan help, or any other type that might help? If I were to use liquid
dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my hands in the bathroom, would
this still result in black gunk buildup?

Thanks,

J.

I have to ask what kind of stopper do you have in
the drain, a regular built in pull up and push
down fixture or do you just have a rubber stopper.
I don't see how you would know there was black
gunk in the drain if it is the former.

I personally don't care much what is in the drain
as long as it drains quickly. Maybe you should
switch to a modern built in stop mechanism or just
forget about what is in the drain.