Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Preventing black gunk in sink drains

I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the result of
using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap that is less
prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example, would a soap with
Triclosan help, or any other type that might help? If I were to use liquid
dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my hands in the bathroom, would
this still result in black gunk buildup?

Thanks,

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry about the dupes, that was due to a computer glitch.

J.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote in message ...
Sorry about the dupes, that was due to a computer glitch.

J.

I was beginning to think it was caused by "black gunk." ;-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

Cheri wrote:
jaynews wrote in message ...
Sorry about the dupes, that was due to a computer glitch.

J.

I was beginning to think it was caused by "black gunk." ;-)

Cheri

The problem with soaps are that they have a foaming agent, which stops
it just running off your hands. Its the same as bubble bath and
shampoo. Also most soapsare full of fats, some animal and some types of
vegetable. Sounds gross but the build up is also down to sweat and
grime that comes off the people washing. Pubs and restaurants have a
lot of problems with this due to the amount of stuff going down the
drains and often use biodegrading fluid.
Best thing is to use whatever soap you like and use a sink unblocker
like Mr Muscle as it will break the build up down and leave it clean
again. At least you are a washer though!

Stu
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote:
I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the result of
using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap that is less
prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example, would a soap with
Triclosan help, or any other type that might help? If I were to use liquid
dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my hands in the bathroom, would
this still result in black gunk buildup?

Bar soap is notoriously unsanitary and worth avoiding. I have been
using the same soap for almost 30 years. It's called Dr. Bronners Pure
Castille Soap and is available with different theraputic essential
oils such a peppermint. It is great soap,very concentrated and always
found at natural foods co-ops and groceries.
All-One-God-Faith-Incorporated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jaynews wrote:

Sorry about the dupes, that was due to a computer glitch.

J.

I thought maybe you were having a big emergency with the drain gunk,
sort of like in the movie "The Blob", and were sending out an S.O.S.

I don't know what's good for cleaning out gunk quickly, but in the long
term, weekly or monthly treatment with one of those enzyme powders can
help. They're sold by hardware stores, plumbing supplies, home
centers, Wal-Mart, and maybe even supermarkets. Consumer Reports
evaluated them in the Jan. 1994 issue, p. 45.

Roto-Rooter Concentrated Drain Cleaner (excellent on grease) $2.50/use
Sears Bioactive Drain Cleaner (very good on grease) $3.00/use
Plumb Clean (excellent on grease) $0.29/use
BioFree (good on grease) $2.00/use
Enforcer Drain Care (good on grease) $0.20/use
Roebic K-67 Bacterial Drain & Trap Cleaner (fair on grease) $0.28/use

Notice the 15:1 spread on per-use cost, with Plumb Clean being not only
one of the best but also one of the cheapest. It's also sold by mail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stu wrote:
Cheri wrote:
jaynews wrote in message ...
Sorry about the dupes, that was due to a computer glitch.

J.

I was beginning to think it was caused by "black gunk." ;-)

Cheri

The problem with soaps are that they have a foaming agent, which stops
it just running off your hands. Its the same as bubble bath and
shampoo.

Shampoo does not contain soap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in
oups.com:

jaynews wrote:
I keep getting black gunk in my bathroom sink drain which is the
result of using soap. I was wondering if there is any type of soap
that is less prone to forming black gunk in drains? For example,
would a soap with Triclosan help, or any other type that might help?
If I were to use liquid dish soap instead of regular soap to wash my
hands in the bathroom, would this still result in black gunk buildup?

Bar soap is notoriously unsanitary and worth avoiding. I have been
using the same soap for almost 30 years. It's called Dr. Bronners
Pure Castille Soap and is available with different theraputic
essential oils such a peppermint. It is great soap,very concentrated
and always found at natural foods co-ops and groceries.
All-One-God-Faith-Incorporated.

I have been
using the same soap for almost 30 years.

Glad I kept reading. I was gonna say...you need to visit it more
frequently or it's one hell of a big bar of soap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in
oups.com:

jaynews wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Origin of Castille soap is Spain. I never use bar soap. Liquid soap,
liauid shower gel is our choice.