Default Oil buildup in drains, preventing -Cheaper alternative to Shaklee Basic I ?

I presently use Shaklee Basic I to prevent my bathtub/shower drain from
getting clogged up.

[After massaging with sesame oil, I take a shower, and if I don't pour
some diluted Basic I into the drain after showering....and rinse the
drain out with hot water just before I use the shower the next
time...the drain will clog up after about 7-to-14 showers]

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Shaklee Basic I.

A friend told me that Shaklee Basic I is just a wetting agent, and that
I could use a kitchen dish detergent and get the same results. I'm
hesitant to try his advice, because if he's wrong, or if I don't use
the detergent in the proper way or in the right concentration, it's a
real pain to clean out the clogged drain.

So my questions a

1] Is my friend right?
2] If he is, is there a particular kitchen dish detergent that is
better than others?
3] What concentration/dilution should I use?
4] Any special instructions or suggestions [or alternatives]?

Thanks
Bob.

m Ransley

Default Oil buildup in drains, preventing -Cheaper alternative toShakl...

What a dumb question. Did you ever hear of Draino, give it a try, oil is
for cooking, motors, lubricating metal not pipe enemas

Terry

wrote in message
oups.com...
I presently use Shaklee Basic I to prevent my bathtub/shower drain from
getting clogged up.

[After massaging with sesame oil, I take a shower, and if I don't pour
some diluted Basic I into the drain after showering....and rinse the
drain out with hot water just before I use the shower the next
time...the drain will clog up after about 7-to-14 showers]

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Shaklee Basic I.

What a weird question! Flush a bunch of vegetable oil down a drain and then
use what appears to be (from reading a Shaklee supplier's site) a
biodegradable wetting agent, which in normal use, is mixed/diluted with
water! Might be better to flush something caustic (or dish detergent) down
the drain, mixed with water?

For info.
We used dish detergent for some 15 years on a regular basis for washing
hair, while taking a shower. Best was usually the cheapest and least
scented; avoiding anything with an extreme colour that might have contained
dyes (Dyes bad for the environment anyway!).

More recently we have used the cheapest white soap we could find; we stopped
using a popular brand because what we had thought was staining due to our
copper water pipes, was actually the green colour from that particular brand
of soap! The colour was probably unnecessary anyway?
No blockages!

Soap itself is a pretty basic and ancient product comprising some form of
animal/fish or mineral grease/oil/fat prepared with lye (caustic soda). One
form of caustic soda being from wood ash, the same ash that can be used as
fertilizer; again a fairly natural by-product!
In many world wide rural communities preparation of soap from available
sources of raw materials was just one of many domestic chores; no more than
100 years ago. I wasn't surprised when my late wife mentioned that her
mother made soap for her family in the early years of the last century
(1910 - 1920 etc.) in rural Atlantic Canada and even though I grew up in an
industrialized country I knew the what the soap-making process entailed.

Great people those rural homemakers!

Today it's buy the most advertised or fashionably 'greenest' brand of
overpriced concoctions popular at the moment! Bah humbug!

BTW ten bars of soap for $1.69 (which recently jumped in price to $1.99!)
can be used for hair washing also, consistently available at local
supermarket. No scent and seemingly no dyes and leaves minimum scum etc?
Single person uses about one bar every week to two weeks and then uses the
remaining slivers for hand washing. The best soap for hair washing used to
be that old hard yellow bar soap once used for washing floors etc.

Terry

Wow...sorry I didn't make myself clear:

After doing an sesame oil massage each morning, I get in the shower and
use a regular bar of hand soap [and regular shampoo] to shower in the
normal manner. Then, once I'm out of the shower, I put two teaspoons of
Shaklee Basic I into a gallon of warm water and slowly pour this down
the drain. Then I let that sit in the drain until I take my next shower
[that night, or the next morning]. [Before I take that next shower, I
make sure to run hot water down the drain for about 30 seconds.]

So... I'm not looking for something like Draino to unclog a clogged
drain, but rather, something cheaper that will prevent the clogging to
occur [Basic I works fine, but it's sort of expensive]

If I can get the same results by putting two teaspoons of dish
detergent into a gallon of water and putting that down the drain after
I've finished my shower and I'm out of the shower, I'll consider doing
that.

Sorry for the confusion.

Bob.

wrote:
[...]

Joseph Meehan

wrote:
Wow...sorry I didn't make myself clear:

After doing an sesame oil massage each morning, I get in the shower
and use a regular bar of hand soap [and regular shampoo] to shower in
the normal manner. Then, once I'm out of the shower, I put two
teaspoons of Shaklee Basic I into a gallon of warm water and slowly
pour this down the drain. Then I let that sit in the drain until I
take my next shower [that night, or the next morning]. [Before I take
that next shower, I make sure to run hot water down the drain for
about 30 seconds.]

So... I'm not looking for something like Draino to unclog a clogged
drain, but rather, something cheaper that will prevent the clogging to
occur [Basic I works fine, but it's sort of expensive]

I wonder if you would not get the same effect from using nothing at all.
I am sure the Shaklee product works for Shaklee and for the salesperson who
informed you of the problems you did not know you had.

In any case, I am not at all sure you need any product. It is amazing
how we all survived so long without all the products that are available
today.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

NH3 and hot water might do the same job. Pour in the Ammonia and then the
hot water.

I use 1/2 quart down each drain every month. I use a bowl full of water in
the sinks and pour in in before I use the tub.

I get my NH3 from the 99 cent store.

PipeDown

"SQLit" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Ammonia, that's good.

If you go with dish soap remember to get the Dishwasher detergent not the
stuff for the sink. Dishwasher detergent has enzymes that break down grease
(oil). Laundry detergent would have similar components. My new spa tub
recommends cleaning with dishwasher detergent periodically to get body oils
out of the works and says never use any oil based products with the bath.

"I wonder if you would not get the same effect from using nothing
at all. " :

Actually, I've tried a number of times not doing anything, and without
fail, the drain always cloggs up. But you have to realize, I'm not
talking about an occasional shower to remove some sesame oil. I give
myself full-body oil massages every morning when I wake up, so there's
a lot of oil that can build up.

Thanks, everyone, for your input and comments. I'll try some of the
ideas you've suggested.

Bob

Dr. Hardcrab

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

I wonder if you would not get the same effect from using nothing at
all. I am sure the Shaklee product works for Shaklee and for the
salesperson who informed you of the problems you did not know you had.

I may get blasted for this, but what a ripoff Shaklee is! I know because i
fell for it (20-some years ago?) and even sold it for about a year. Couldn't
understand why friends ran when I came around. You'd think I was selling
term life or something....

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to john3jersey, tennessee wrote:
Ammonia, that's good.
If you go with dish soap remember to get the Dishwasher detergent not the

stuff for the sink. Dishwasher detergent has enzymes that break down grease
(oil). Laundry detergent would have similar components. My new spa tub
recommends cleaning with dishwasher detergent periodically to get body oils out
of the works and says never use any oil based products with the bath.
Add reply
john3jersey posted on October 19, 2005, 9:25 pm
"I wonder if you would not get the same effect from using nothing at all.

" :
Actually, I've tried a number of times not doing anything, and without fail,

the drain always cloggs up. But you have to realize, I'm not talking about an
occasional shower to remove some sesame oil. I give myself full-body oil
massages every morning when I wake up, so there's a lot of oil that can build
up.
Thanks, everyone, for your input and comments. I'll try some of the ideas

you've suggested.
Bob
Add reply

with respect to all, just in case it helps, i was in Asia and getting massages
a lot recently. i purposely choose just touch massage with no lotion or
massage with lotion, almost never chose the oil massage...it is messy to get
off and can get everything else messy too, towel,, sheets, shower, drain.
though i guess it is ok or better if u can find just find someone to lick it
off. good luck!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-sh-42390-.htm