Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non-auto circuit breaker

Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I
jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I
jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current
NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

They're used for disconnects. Often for AC condensers

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:46:19 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I

If it's intermittent, I'd take it back. You have to remove it anyhow
to put in what you want.

jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current
NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

They're used for disconnects. Often for AC condensers

Does that mean the breakers next to my outside AC unit will never trip
unless I trip them by hand!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:46:19 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I

If it's intermittent, I'd take it back. You have to remove it anyhow
to put in what you want.

jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current
NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

They're used for disconnects. Often for AC condensers

Does that mean the breakers next to my outside AC unit will never trip
unless I trip them by hand!

If they're circuit breakers they can trip, if they're just switches that
look like circuit breakers, they won't. The switches usually have a sticker
on them that says something like "no overcurrent protection"

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:12:31 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I didn't see a sticker. I'll go look again for whatever there is.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:36:46 -0500, wrote:

That'll teach you about buying stuff from ebay.

Ebay. I missed that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:51*am, mm wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:36:46 -0500, wrote:
That'll teach you about buying stuff from ebay. *

Ebay. *I missed that.

Nothing wrong with ebay. I get tons of good deals off ebay. Just
about everything can be researched with a few google searches. Or ask
the seller. There are bargains on ebay and there is junk on ebay.
You need to make sure you know what you are buying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:57*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 27, 7:51*am, mm wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:36:46 -0500, wrote:
That'll teach you about buying stuff from ebay. *

Ebay. *I missed that.

Nothing wrong with ebay. *I get tons of good deals off ebay. *Just
about everything can be researched with a few google searches. *Or ask
the seller. *There are bargains on ebay and there is junk on ebay.
You need to make sure you know what you are buying.

Same here. I've done over a 100 transactions on Ebay and only had one
bad experience. On all the rest I got excellent deals and saved a
ton of money. And I've sold items with no problem that I would never
have been able to sell without Ebay. You just have to use due
diligence, which includes looking at how many transactions the seller
has done, their feedback rating, and carefully read the description of
what you are buying.

In fact, when looking for something, I often go to Ebay first, because
it can be easier to find the item there and get better descriptions of
it quickly, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

You don't need a circuit breaker next to your AC condenser. The circuit
breaker is at the panel.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now
that I have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device,
but just a switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on"
when I jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much
money. Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by
current NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

They're used for disconnects. Often for AC condensers

Ah, gotcha, thanks.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 10:07*am, bud-- wrote:
mm wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:12:31 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

bud--- Hide quoted text -

You can't say that arbitrarily. Majority of the time you don't need
one. But there are various wiring solutions and I have seen breakers
at the ac units. We have a number of houses on my street with a
"main" panel at the ac units and the panel most of us consider a main
installed as a sub elsewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:00:53 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jul 27, 10:07*am, bud-- wrote:
mm wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:12:31 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thanks. Yes. Regardless of whether I need one or not, regardless of
what I have, I want to know what I actually have. It might come in
handy some day. It's always good to know what the facts are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
On Jul 27, 10:07 am, bud-- wrote:
mm wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:12:31 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If there is just a single device in the box, for the one condenser only,
there is no need for it to be a circuit breaker.
If you have a panel or sub panel at or near the location of the condenser,
usually feeding more than just the one condenser, it would most definitely
need to be a circuit breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:37:53 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I
jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

That'll teach you about buying stuff from ebay. Never ever buy
anything electrical from ebay. Buying books on ebay is about the only
thing that's relatively safe. Better yet, block ebay in your browser.
I did.

Now call and email that seller about 20 times a day to **** him off,
do this for a week, then give the worst feedback you can.

Why did you jump to the assumption that the seller wouldn't accept the
item back and refund the purchase price?

Why not advise th OP to wait and see if and how the seller responds
before giving him the advice you did?

I've been using eBay for nearly 10 years now and only got screwed once,
back when eBay let ivory carvings be listed. I bought a carving from a
guy in Brooklyn which turned out to be plastic and the seller wouldn't
repond to me. Shortly after that the seller was no longer on eBay.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He bought an inexpensive item. It will be his responsibility to pay to ship
it back, and probably not worth the money or effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

He bought an inexpensive item. It will be his responsibility to pay
to ship it back, and probably not worth the money or effort.

Unfortunately, that is the situation. It was a $12 item which cost me $6.00
to have shipped to me, and would cost me another $6.00 to ship it back.

The seller was careful not to describe the item as being tested by him, only
describing the item as being "fully functional" from a "working service".

If this actually had been a circuit breaker (and not just a switch, aka
"non-auto breaker"), I would return it for replacement, but as it is, I'll
just write it off.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 7:51 am, mm wrote:

[...]

I too, love buying stuff on Ebay. I even sold a thirty year old tractor and
got way more that it was worth, at least to me. But, one thing I found out
first hand, if things go horribly wrong, Ebay sucks. I don't care if you're
the buyer or the seller, they're worthless. Their "buyer protection" is just
a total farce. You're on your own.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

one thing I found out
first hand, if things go horribly wrong, Ebay sucks. I don't care if you're
the buyer or the seller, they're worthless. Their "buyer protection" is just
a total farce. You're on your own.

I've filed three formal "substantially not as advertised" claims and got
exactly what I asked for each time. Twice it was a significant price
reduction (i.e. partial refund) and most recently a full refund of price
and shipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

one thing I found out
first hand, if things go horribly wrong, Ebay sucks. I don't care if
you're
the buyer or the seller, they're worthless. Their "buyer protection" is
just
a total farce. You're on your own.

I've filed three formal "substantially not as advertised" claims and got
exactly what I asked for each time. Twice it was a significant price
reduction (i.e. partial refund) and most recently a full refund of price
and shipping.

Sure, because the sellers were willing to work with you. What you got didn't
come from Ebay. The "buyer protection" says something like:

If you buy a book and they send nothing, you'll get your money back
If you buy a book, and they send you a crappy book, you're SOL
If you buy a book and they send you a doll, you are guaranteed price paid
plus original shipping, once you send the doll back. Why should you have to
pay for return shipping for the sellers mistake?

Then when you amplify this non protection system, you get a scenario like
one I had:
Through Ebay, I asked a seller if an implement would fit my skid steer.
His reply, "yes it will". (Note: these are new, the seller is a fabricator)
I buy the implement , pay for it plus shipping $420.
I receive it, and it's not even close to the mount of my machine.
I contact him, through Ebay to correct the situation and I'm ignored.
I file with Ebay through "buyer protection system".
Seller contacts me, offers to pick up implement and refund me or pick up
implement and deliver one that fits my machine. I choose getting an
implement that fits my machine.
Seller neither picks up or delivers promised implement as offered.
I go to stage 2 through "Ebay buyer protection", and half an hour later they
email me. They've reviewed my claim and rule in my favor. Just send the item
back to the seller, and I'll get my $420 back.
After about an hour I finally got a human from Ebay on the phone to explain
that shipping a 500 pound implement 1000 miles will cost me $400, and to
explain to me,why there is no burden on the seller to pay for his mistake.
Totally fruitless effort, I may as well been talking to a rock. "That's our
policy", and stop yelling at me or I'll disconnect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

[...]

I do realize stuff like that happens. In my cases, all three times,
buyer declined or refused to "work with me" until I initiated the formal
claim.

One thing I refuse to do is buy anything from anyone with less than a
99% positive rating (or more than one negative if less than 100 sales.)
I also like to scan through their feedback to see how they responded to
any negative feedback. If they responded graciously, and it seemed like
an honest mistake, fine. But if they responded with hostility, I walk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 7:21*am, "RBM" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news
In article , "RBM"
wrote:

[...]

Seems like the real issue here is the shipping cost, which is a valid
point. You are pretty much always out the shipping, probably both
ways if they seller sends you something. And that's why I avoid
sellers that have shipping costs that are way high and totally out of
line. Not only does it mean you would be out the shipping, but it
points to the seller being dishonest. I believe charging higher than
true shipping costs is against ebay policy, but I don't see them doing
anything to enforce it. You can find loads of sellers where the item
is $2, small and the shipping is $8. The seller is making most of
their money in that case off the shipping.

Most times the shipping isn't a big issue, but with a 500lb widget, it
is.

On the other hand, I have had problems where the seller refunded not
only the item cost, but also the shipping. Case in point, I bought a
used tire for my Porsche from a guy that shipped it from TX to NJ.
Upon mounting, it had a leak. He refunded the cost plus shipping and
told me to keep the tire. I later got another one and it was fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 27, 10:20*pm, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
RBM wrote:

He bought an inexpensive item. It will be his responsibility to pay
to ship it back, and probably not worth the money or effort.

Unfortunately, that is the situation. *It was a $12 item which cost me $6.00
to have shipped to me, and would cost me another $6.00 to ship it back.

The seller was careful not to describe the item as being tested by him, only
describing the item as being "fully functional" from a "working service".

If this actually had been a circuit breaker (and not just a switch, aka
"non-auto breaker"), I would return it for replacement, but as it is, I'll
just write it off.

Jon

He doesn't have to say he tested it for you to have a valid claim.
The description says that it is "fully functional" and since it is
faulty, it is NOT. If it were me, I would contact the seller and ask
for a refund, just so they don't get one over on me. Even if it costs
$6 to ship it back, you still wind up $6 better off than you are now.
That assumes of course they actually refund you the money, which if
they have good feedback they very likely will. Also, I have had
cases where the seller refunded shipping too. And cases where the
seller refunded my money and told me to keep the item.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 28, 9:38*am, wrote:
On Jul 28, 7:21*am, "RBM" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article , "RBM"
wrote:

[...]

told me to keep the tire. *I later got another one and it was fine.- Hide quoted text -

Part if that is because ebay charges a percentage of the sale price
but nothing out of the shipping. So if you sell an item for 2 with 8
shipping and it really costs you 2 to ship you don't have to pay ebay
a percentage of the 6 you made. Since shipping is really shipping AND
handling ebay has a hard time proving one way or another that you
don't have 6 in "handling" costs. If you buy in bulk isn't all the
costs of inventory, preparing orders, etc handling? Some poeple say
it is. They can only enforce the rule when it is blatantly obvious
like 10 for a diamond ring, 200 for shipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I
jiggle the stab connectors). Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current NEC?

Thanks,

Jon

Hmmm,
Way back some guy used to sll guranteed coat hook ++ Jack nail!
There are guys who play with words and guys like you who fall for it.