Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non-auto circuit breaker

On Jul 27, 10:07*am, bud-- wrote:
mm wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:12:31 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:46:19 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Bought a "non-auto" circuit breaker (60A, 2 pole) from eBay. *Now that I
have the unit, I realize that it isn't an overcurrent device, but just a
switch that fits into a breaker box. *Oops.

Oh yeah, and the damn thing doesn't even work (intermittent "on" when I
If it's intermittent, I'd take it back. *You have to remove it anyhow
to put in what you want.

jiggle the stab connectors). *Fortunately it wasn't that much money.

Is a "non-auto" circuit breaker covered for any use approved by current
NEC?

Thanks,

Jon
They're used for disconnects. Often for AC condensers
Does that mean the breakers next to my outside AC unit will never trip
unless I trip them by hand!
If they're circuit breakers they can trip, if they're just switches that
look like circuit breakers, they won't. The switches usually have a sticker
on them that says something like "no overcurrent protection"

I didn't see a sticker. *I'll go look again for whatever there is.
Thanks.

You don't need a circuit breaker next to your AC condenser. The circuit
breaker is at the panel.

--
bud--- Hide quoted text -

You can't say that arbitrarily. Majority of the time you don't need
one. But there are various wiring solutions and I have seen breakers
at the ac units. We have a number of houses on my street with a
"main" panel at the ac units and the panel most of us consider a main
installed as a sub elsewhere.