Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Can a circuit breaker go bad?

Last night we had a thunderstorm and this morning, one entire circuit in
our box is dead.

The breaker was not tripped. I even turned it off and on again but that
did nothing.

One other breaker was off, but that only goes to the indoor tub\jacuzzi
which is not working so I MAY have turned it off myself a while ago, but I
don't think so. I turned that back on.

The dead circuit is for the garage door openers and some lights and
outlets in the upstairs bathrooms for the most part.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Thanks so much.

Joy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joy wrote:
Last night we had a thunderstorm and this morning, one entire circuit
in our box is dead.

The breaker was not tripped. I even turned it off and on again but
that did nothing.

One other breaker was off, but that only goes to the indoor
tub\jacuzzi which is not working so I MAY have turned it off myself a
while ago, but I don't think so. I turned that back on.

The dead circuit is for the garage door openers and some lights and
outlets in the upstairs bathrooms for the most part.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Yes it could be the circuit breaker. Could also be a bad connection on the
circuit.

If there's not 120 on the hot side of the circuit breaker, the circuit
breaker is the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Joy wrote:

Last night we had a thunderstorm and this morning, one entire
circuit in our box is dead.

The breaker was not tripped. I even turned it off and on again but
that did nothing.

One other breaker was off, but that only goes to the indoor
tub\jacuzzi which is not working so I MAY have turned it off myself
a while ago, but I don't think so. I turned that back on.

The dead circuit is for the garage door openers and some lights and
outlets in the upstairs bathrooms for the most part.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Yes it could be the circuit breaker. Could also be a bad connection
on the circuit.

If there's not 120 on the hot side of the circuit breaker, the
circuit breaker is the culprit.

Uh, don't you mean the "load side" (its output terminal)?

We should also remind Joy that sometimes one needs to push the circuit
breaker lever firmly towards the OFF direction before moving it back
to the ON position to achieve a recet.

Yes, you're right. But don't you mean "reset?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Joy wrote:

[...]

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joy Joy is offline

Default Can a circuit breaker go bad? SOLVED

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:33:23 -0400, Joy wrote:

Last night we had a thunderstorm and this morning, one entire circuit in
our box is dead.

The breaker was not tripped. I even turned it off and on again but that
did nothing.

One other breaker was off, but that only goes to the indoor tub\jacuzzi
which is not working so I MAY have turned it off myself a while ago, but
I don't think so. I turned that back on.

The dead circuit is for the garage door openers and some lights and
outlets in the upstairs bathrooms for the most part.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Thanks so much.

Joy

I am such a dolt. My electician neighbor asked me what was on the circuit
and then took 5 seconds to suggest checking the GFIs in the bathrooms.
I immediately remembered this happened years ago and I went right to the
GFI in the powder room.

Problem solved. Probably tripped by the thunderstorm.

Might be a sign of old age or an over-full brain.

Thanks for the help I know I would have received.

Joy

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Joy wrote:

[...]

That "thwock" you just heard was me, giving myself a dope slap on the
forehead.

So.......

Don't push on that button again,
You've pushed it until it's worn thin.
It ain't no reset,
On that you can bet,
So wipe off that **** eating grin.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 2, 12:33*pm, Joy wrote:
Last night we had a thunderstorm and this morning, one entire circuit in *
our box is dead.

The breaker was not tripped. I even turned it off and on again but that *
did nothing.

One other breaker was off, but that only goes to the indoor tub\jacuzzi *
which is not working so I MAY have turned it off myself a while ago, but I *
don't think so. I turned that back on.

The dead circuit is for the garage door openers and some lights and *
outlets in the upstairs bathrooms for the most part.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Thanks so much.

Joy

I do a lot of handyman work and you would not believe how many times
that I find a non-working garage door is simply the result of a GFI
that has been tripped by a hair dryer or heater plugged into the bath
circuit. Don't feel too bad that you didn't catch it earlier. What
you went through is very common.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davebf303" wrote in message
On Apr 2, 12:33 pm, Joy wrote:
[...]

I have a house I bought nearly two years ago. Just a few days ago, I
finally found out ALL the outlets that go out when a GFCI pops in the
bathroom. One really feels stupid when this happens.

Steve