Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Can a circuit breaker go bad?

HeyBub wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

Joy wrote:

Last night we had a thunderstorm and this morning, one entire
circuit in our box is dead.

The breaker was not tripped. I even turned it off and on again but
that did nothing.

One other breaker was off, but that only goes to the indoor
tub\jacuzzi which is not working so I MAY have turned it off myself
a while ago, but I don't think so. I turned that back on.

The dead circuit is for the garage door openers and some lights and
outlets in the upstairs bathrooms for the most part.

Any ideas of what may have happened?

Yes it could be the circuit breaker. Could also be a bad connection
on the circuit.

If there's not 120 on the hot side of the circuit breaker, the
circuit breaker is the culprit.

Uh, don't you mean the "load side" (its output terminal)?

We should also remind Joy that sometimes one needs to push the circuit
breaker lever firmly towards the OFF direction before moving it back
to the ON position to achieve a recet.

Yes, you're right. But don't you mean "reset?"

That "thwock" you just heard was me, giving myself a dope slap on the
forehead.

So.......

Don't push on that button again,
You've pushed it until it's worn thin.