Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 12:02 AM, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

Yes, it can definitely handle 900 lbs plus some.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Most likely it will be OK. Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

You might wanna be kind to the object of your dad's affection.
Spend $6 and make two trips.

I once piled the trunk of an older, but low mileage car with all
my belongings and moved cross country. Blew the seals out of the
shock absorbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:51:28 -0700, mike wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

Not the same, but I put a cargo carrier on the back of my Lebaron
Connvertible, via the trailer hitch receiver, and then put 10 or 15
pieces of semi-dry sod on it. Made the mistake of doing it while the
car door was open and then I couldn't shut the door. Car bent in the
middle. Had to put half of the sod in the backseat, and then it was
okay. I drove slow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

the "1/2 ton" nomenclature has nothing to do with carrying capacity.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 1:51 AM, mike wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

the way you loaded it had nothing to do with the shocks starting to
leak. They are designed to work properly all along their full stroke.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 6:35 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Most likely it will be OK. Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.

the "1/2 ton" nomenclature has nothing to do with carrying capacity.

I beg to differ. It has everything to do with carrying capacity, as
long as you understand the weight of the driver and passengers are to be
considered part of the payload (as the previous poster wrote).

The bottom line is what the owner's manual says it can carry. in 1989,
there were D100, D150 (both half ton), D250 (3/4 ton) and D350 (one ton)
models.

Newer Rams can carry more than their designation would suggest but
that's an '89 model.

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:02*am, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Its nearly 22 years old so go easy on it, sure it can take 1/2 ton
total weight with passengers if its a 1/2 ton- 1000 lb but old metal
and rubber parts get weak, is there any rust on this 22 yr old then be
even more carefull, do it in 2-3 loads 3 is better on rough roads Ive
broken springs and bushings with only a few hundred pounds hitting a
bump and city driving in cars. Im not sure if fuel is part of the load
rating, but im pretty sure people are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:00*am, LSMFT wrote:
Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle out
of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on it..
The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I can haul a pallet (one ton) of pellets on my Nissian Frontier with no
problem. That's 2000 lbs. Even better now since I added 1500lb spring
boosters.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.- Hide quoted text -

Brakes are big part of ratings, sure you can haul 2000lb but it wont
stop well, get in an accident thats your fault and your weight could
be a charge of negligence.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 8:00 am, LSMFT wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

"Half ton" used to mean that there was a payload of 1000 lbs. What it
means now, who knows? But I would think 900 lbs would be at the high
end of what you can carry. The cost to make two trips will be a lot
less than the cost of having to replace shocks and whatever else might
go wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 8:17*am, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

On Jul 14, 8:00 am, LSMFT wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

go wrong.- Hide quoted text -

I think gasolene , spare tire, and people were never part of the
rating, so a half ton with 2 -200lb passengers, 20 gallon of gas and a
50 lb tire can only carry 450 lb and be at 1/2 ton, I had a full size
blazer that would sag badly with 2-300 lbs and at 22 years and dads
pristine toy I would not risk a heavy load, im sure it would be fine
but ive broken my cars and trucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote in
:

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not
a huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air
bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

20 yrs old? 21K miles!

Sounds like a gem. Considering that, what might be considered wasteful
may be wise. Two trips might be a warm fuzzy. Since you are driving 24
miles just for concrete which can be got most anywhere, I can assume
there's not a nearby HD/Lowes where you can get a truck for $20/75min?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck.

The only way to be sure is not to use it.

If you take it be aware with some vehicles they will start to sway at
higher speeds when loaded.

Also, that usually harmless pothole/bump/whatever can do some nasty
things when loaded.

My story: An old 1/2T pickup I loaded up with bags of concrete. It was
more than 15. Went well. Next inspection I had a cracked leaf spring.

Another thought is take dad on a road trip. Spend some time with him. At
least if anything goes wrong you won't feel so bad like it's neglect on
your part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:02*pm, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I'll stay out of the load rating but...

Due to it being a cherry rig, be sure to pad the bed. Sacks of that
stuff leak a bit and will leave scratches and lots of dust in an
unprotected bed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 11:52*am, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 13, 10:02*pm, Kate wrote:

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Good idea; put a cheap 'tarp' in the back under the bags to catch the
dust.

A half ton truck can presumably handles 1000 pounds easily.

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 1:28*am, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags..

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Unless the frame is totally gone, 900lbs should be a walk in the part
(for the truck, anyway).

Most likely it will be OK. *Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. *If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. *Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.

"Half-ton" is the class, not the cargo rating. You'll likely find
that the cargo rating is 1500lbs, or even more (mine's 1750lbs, IIRC).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

225lbs IS extremely obese for most people. Unless it's a very
athletic/muscular man over 6' tall. It's 75-110lbs overweight for women.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brakes are big part of ratings, sure you can haul 2000lb but it wont
stop well, get in an accident thats your fault and your weight could
be a charge of negligence.

True!

FYI - 1/2 ton means nothing! I had a 1/2 ton with a cargo weight rating of
800 lbs. The same truck with different factory options could carry more than
1/2 ton. Depends on how the truck was ordered and built!

The weight rating can be found on a label on the driver's door or in the
glove compartment typically. This is the weight rating for THAT specific
truck.

The weight rating is not just how much weight the truck can hold, rather it
is how much weight it can hold and still be driven SAFELY. This means
braking when going downhill (and not having the brakes fail), turning
corners and not rolling over, being able to suddenly brake and turn to avoid
a kid running out in the street, etc.

Also if you load a vehicle with too much weight, the wheel bearings can get
wrecked. Axles, bearings, wheels, and tires have weight ratings as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:02:07 -0700, Kate
wrote:

[...]

I had 15 bags of sakrete in a 86 LeBaron. I did put "Low Rider"
on the
MP3 player when I was leaving Home Depot.

That is less than a half ton, what the smallest pickups are
rated for

It'll be fine, Kate. It's a good idea, though, to have them stack
the bags of mix toward the front of the truck's bed to equalize
the load a bit.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jul 14, 8:00 am, wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Stops just fine.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:28:40 -0700, "Nonny" wrote Re
How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?:

I had 15 bags of sakrete in a 86 LeBaron. I did put "Low Rider"
on the
MP3 player when I was leaving Home Depot.

That is less than a half ton, what the smallest pickups are
rated for

It'll be fine, Kate. It's a good idea, though, to have them stack
the bags of mix toward the front of the truck's bed to equalize
the load a bit.

+1 on that. You won't have any problem with that load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-14, Bill wrote:

Also if you load a vehicle with too much weight, the wheel bearings can get
wrecked. Axles, bearings, wheels, and tires have weight ratings as well.

Bingo!!

Look at a real 3/4 ton rear axle, then your 1/2 ton rear axle.
Whole different animal. As for tires, you betchya! I was once
stopped and cited in a company gravel truck because the FRONT TIRES!
were not the proper ply/weight rating.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote the following:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not
a huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Look on the sticker on the drivers door frame. The load limit will be
posted there.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:02*am, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

How old are the tires and what type, be sure to inflate them cold to
just under the maximum, if the are 89 or have visable rot forget the
trip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

So what does it mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, put the load as far
forward in the bed as possible and it will handle a little better
(less sway).

However...if you're concerned about having that much weight near the
center of the frame (I don't know whether you should or not) then
either spread it out and drive slowly or make two trips and load it
forward.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 2:27*pm, Tony wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

What does any marketing term mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Just load the 900 lbs forward in the box to spread the load between
the axles and Bob's your uncle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:35:58 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

What does it have to do with then?
A half ton truck has a MINIMUM of 1000 lb carrying capacity - usually
1200 or more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:37:20 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 1:51 AM, mike wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

But they are NOT designed to go full stroke all the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:17:36 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 8:00 am, LSMFT wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Virtually every "half ton" truck on the road today will handle a full
ton of payload if properly distributed and driven sensibly on
reasonable road surfaces. Handling will not be fantastic, and you need
to drive carefully to avoid having to do panic stops -
but 900 lbs will definitely not hurt any half ton truck in reasonable
condition under normal on-road driving conditions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tony wrote:
... Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, ...

There is no state that I'm aware of that has load tag limits on
light-duty trucks other than the highway axle limits that are far beyond
what OP's asking to carry so legality is not going to an issue whatsoever.

The overall vehicle weight rating is the limiting limit but there's a
lot of conservatism in them compared to reality.

The possible actual limiting factor for an old truck w/ almost no miles
_MIGHT_ be the condition of the tires--are they still original or have
they been replaced sometime in a relatively recent time frame?

The actual GVWR for the actual vehicle will be on a plate on the door
column or in the glove box or somewhere else on the vehicle. If it's
this pristine, there's likely the OEM book in the glove box as well.

As for the half-, 3/4-ton, etc., it is as someone noted, only a class
rating that distinguishes basic group of
axles/suspension/transmission/engine packages available. Each
manufacturer is a little different but each tries to out-spec the other
by a few pounds in their ratings for advertising purposes so they can
tout "highest payload" and so they leapfrog each other from one model
year to another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-14, Bill wrote:

Also if you load a vehicle with too much weight, the wheel bearings can get
wrecked. Axles, bearings, wheels, and tires have weight ratings as well.

Bingo!!

Look at a real 3/4 ton rear axle, then your 1/2 ton rear axle.
Whole different animal. As for tires, you betchya! I was once
stopped and cited in a company gravel truck because the FRONT TIRES!
were not the proper ply/weight rating.

nb

The front tires on a gravel truck carry a large portion of the
weight.
The gross vehicle weight for a D100, which is the lightest Dodge
pickup except for the Mitsubishi supplied D50, ranges from 4001 to
5000 lbs depending on equipment.
If it is a short box 6 cyl the curb weight is 2745 - and GVW is
4001,so the minimum payload capacity would be (4001-2745=)1256 lbs.
If it is an 8 foot box V8, curb weight is 3909 and GVW is 5000 lbs,
so payload is (5000-3909=) 1091 lbs..

This is on BASE MODEL D100 trucks - extra GVW options were also
available.
D150 would handle higher GVW (but is likely also a bit heavier empty)
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote in
:

.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I'll stay out of the load rating but...

Due to it being a cherry rig, be sure to pad the bed. *Sacks of that
stuff leak a bit and will leave scratches and lots of dust in an
unprotected bed.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Good idea; put a cheap 'tarp' in the back under the bags to catch the
dust.

A half ton truck can presumably handles 1000 pounds easily.

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

Many moons ago I opened back slider window with mulch in the back. Mulch
storm in the cab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 6:00 AM, Jay Hanig wrote:
[...]

You can beg all you want, the fact is that a so called "1/2 ton" truck
can carry a whole lot more than 1000 lbs and all you have to do is look
at the payload ratings for the truck to see that. The nomenclature of
1/2, 3/4 etc etc is a throwback to very early years of trucks. It has
nothing to do with payload capacities today.

Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 2:27 PM, Tony wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

It doesn't mean anything. The only place the word is used is in laymens
conversations. It's not mentioned in mfgr's literature.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

One day when you are bored, fill it with gas and two people, one driver, one
passenger, and take it to the local truck stop and have it weighed. Lots of
them will do it free. Get that weight stub. Now, look at your door plate
for GCVWR, or gross combined vehicle weight rating, which is the total
weight for the truck and everything you can put in it before it breaks.
That, for future reference is the MAXIMUM amount the truck can carry. It is
always good to do just 75% of that.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Post Quartermaster"
wrote

The cost to make two trips will be a lot
less than the cost of having to replace shocks and whatever else might go
wrong.

Well, then, fifteen trips should be VERY safe.

Steve