Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

Kate wrote in
:

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not
a huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air
bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

20 yrs old? 21K miles!

Sounds like a gem. Considering that, what might be considered wasteful
may be wise. Two trips might be a warm fuzzy. Since you are driving 24
miles just for concrete which can be got most anywhere, I can assume
there's not a nearby HD/Lowes where you can get a truck for $20/75min?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck.

The only way to be sure is not to use it.

If you take it be aware with some vehicles they will start to sway at
higher speeds when loaded.

Also, that usually harmless pothole/bump/whatever can do some nasty
things when loaded.

My story: An old 1/2T pickup I loaded up with bags of concrete. It was
more than 15. Went well. Next inspection I had a cracked leaf spring.

Another thought is take dad on a road trip. Spend some time with him. At
least if anything goes wrong you won't feel so bad like it's neglect on
your part.