Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

On Jul 14, 2:27*pm, Tony wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not
a huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Most likely it will be OK. Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.

the "1/2 ton" nomenclature has nothing to do with carrying capacity.

So what does it mean?

What does any marketing term mean?