Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

On Jul 14, 11:52*am, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 13, 10:02*pm, Kate wrote:

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags..

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I'll stay out of the load rating but...

Due to it being a cherry rig, be sure to pad the bed. *Sacks of that
stuff leak a bit and will leave scratches and lots of dust in an
unprotected bed.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Good idea; put a cheap 'tarp' in the back under the bags to catch the
dust.

A half ton truck can presumably handles 1000 pounds easily.

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.