Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 12:02 AM, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

Yes, it can definitely handle 900 lbs plus some.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Most likely it will be OK. Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

the "1/2 ton" nomenclature has nothing to do with carrying capacity.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 6:35 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Most likely it will be OK. Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.

the "1/2 ton" nomenclature has nothing to do with carrying capacity.

I beg to differ. It has everything to do with carrying capacity, as
long as you understand the weight of the driver and passengers are to be
considered part of the payload (as the previous poster wrote).

The bottom line is what the owner's manual says it can carry. in 1989,
there were D100, D150 (both half ton), D250 (3/4 ton) and D350 (one ton)
models.

Newer Rams can carry more than their designation would suggest but
that's an '89 model.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 6:00 AM, Jay Hanig wrote:
[...]

You can beg all you want, the fact is that a so called "1/2 ton" truck
can carry a whole lot more than 1000 lbs and all you have to do is look
at the payload ratings for the truck to see that. The nomenclature of
1/2, 3/4 etc etc is a throwback to very early years of trucks. It has
nothing to do with payload capacities today.

Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

So what does it mean?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, put the load as far
forward in the bed as possible and it will handle a little better
(less sway).

However...if you're concerned about having that much weight near the
center of the frame (I don't know whether you should or not) then
either spread it out and drive slowly or make two trips and load it
forward.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Fishel wrote:
Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, put the load as far
forward in the bed as possible and it will handle a little better
(less sway).

Or put it directly over the rear axle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 2:27*pm, Tony wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

What does any marketing term mean?

Posted to alt.home.repair

keith wrote:
On Jul 14, 2:27 pm, Tony wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

About a half a ton of bull and a whole ton of ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 2:27 PM, Tony wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

It doesn't mean anything. The only place the word is used is in laymens
conversations. It's not mentioned in mfgr's literature.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

the "1/2 ton" nomenclature has nothing to do with carrying capacity.

So what does it mean?

At one time it did mean 1/2 ton, but that was a long time ago. Now it is
just a marketing word. Sort of like "dialing" a number on a phone, we now
"press" numbers, yet still call it dialing. (FYI - For you young whipper
snappers, phones at one time had a dial on them as well as a wire connecting
them to the wall.)

Trucks have all sorts of options you can order. Different transmissions,
axles, springs, wheels, etc. Here is a list of GM options for example...
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/96transam/rpocodes.html

For large cities and "vanity" trucks people drive around in without a
scratch, no one ever uses these to haul anything, so they frequently have
the lowest weight ratings. But in a rural area where they are using the
trucks for hauling anything and everything, they want hauling capacity and
that is what the dealers order and have on the lots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:35:58 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 1:28 AM, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

What does it have to do with then?
A half ton truck has a MINIMUM of 1000 lb carrying capacity - usually
1200 or more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A half ton truck has a MINIMUM of 1000 lb carrying capacity - usually
1200 or more.

Go to a truck lot and look at the labels on the drivers door on the various
trucks...

I used to have a 81 Ford F-100 "1/2 ton" pick-up which had a cargo weight
rating of 800 lbs - label on the driver's door...

I now have a "3/4 ton" pick-up which has a weight rating of 1900 lbs (label
on the door). I have this truck because I got tired of replacing the rear
bearings on the "1/2 ton" truck...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 1:28*am, Tony wrote:
Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags..

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Unless the frame is totally gone, 900lbs should be a walk in the part
(for the truck, anyway).

Most likely it will be OK. *Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. *If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, but in real life you can go a
little over that. *Keep in mind you add all of the load including driver
and passengers and all that stuff behind the seat.

"Half-ton" is the class, not the cargo rating. You'll likely find
that the cargo rating is 1500lbs, or even more (mine's 1750lbs, IIRC).

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Tony wrote:
... Ask Dad if it's a 1/2 ton truck. If so
legally you can carry a total of 1000#, ...

There is no state that I'm aware of that has load tag limits on
light-duty trucks other than the highway axle limits that are far beyond
what OP's asking to carry so legality is not going to an issue whatsoever.

The overall vehicle weight rating is the limiting limit but there's a
lot of conservatism in them compared to reality.

The possible actual limiting factor for an old truck w/ almost no miles
_MIGHT_ be the condition of the tires--are they still original or have
they been replaced sometime in a relatively recent time frame?

The actual GVWR for the actual vehicle will be on a plate on the door
column or in the glove box or somewhere else on the vehicle. If it's
this pristine, there's likely the OEM book in the glove box as well.

As for the half-, 3/4-ton, etc., it is as someone noted, only a class
rating that distinguishes basic group of
axles/suspension/transmission/engine packages available. Each
manufacturer is a little different but each tries to out-spec the other
by a few pounds in their ratings for advertising purposes so they can
tout "highest payload" and so they leapfrog each other from one model
year to another.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

You might wanna be kind to the object of your dad's affection.
Spend $6 and make two trips.

I once piled the trunk of an older, but low mileage car with all
my belongings and moved cross country. Blew the seals out of the
shock absorbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:51:28 -0700, mike wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

Not the same, but I put a cargo carrier on the back of my Lebaron
Connvertible, via the trailer hitch receiver, and then put 10 or 15
pieces of semi-dry sod on it. Made the mistake of doing it while the
car door was open and then I couldn't shut the door. Car bent in the
middle. Had to put half of the sod in the backseat, and then it was
okay. I drove slow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 1:51 AM, mike wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

the way you loaded it had nothing to do with the shocks starting to
leak. They are designed to work properly all along their full stroke.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:37:20 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 1:51 AM, mike wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

But they are NOT designed to go full stroke all the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/14/2010 1:51 AM, mike wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

The suspension stops will not allow the shocks to bottom out.

Won't stop them from fully extending though. A heavy load makes LONG
rebounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

Just load the 900 lbs forward in the box to spread the load between
the axles and Bob's your uncle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:02*am, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Its nearly 22 years old so go easy on it, sure it can take 1/2 ton
total weight with passengers if its a 1/2 ton- 1000 lb but old metal
and rubber parts get weak, is there any rust on this 22 yr old then be
even more carefull, do it in 2-3 loads 3 is better on rough roads Ive
broken springs and bushings with only a few hundred pounds hitting a
bump and city driving in cars. Im not sure if fuel is part of the load
rating, but im pretty sure people are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote in
:

Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not
a huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air
bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

20 yrs old? 21K miles!

Sounds like a gem. Considering that, what might be considered wasteful
may be wise. Two trips might be a warm fuzzy. Since you are driving 24
miles just for concrete which can be got most anywhere, I can assume
there's not a nearby HD/Lowes where you can get a truck for $20/75min?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck.

The only way to be sure is not to use it.

If you take it be aware with some vehicles they will start to sway at
higher speeds when loaded.

Also, that usually harmless pothole/bump/whatever can do some nasty
things when loaded.

My story: An old 1/2T pickup I loaded up with bags of concrete. It was
more than 15. Went well. Next inspection I had a cracked leaf spring.

Another thought is take dad on a road trip. Spend some time with him. At
least if anything goes wrong you won't feel so bad like it's neglect on
your part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:02*pm, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I'll stay out of the load rating but...

Due to it being a cherry rig, be sure to pad the bed. Sacks of that
stuff leak a bit and will leave scratches and lots of dust in an
unprotected bed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 11:52*am, Harry K wrote:
On Jul 13, 10:02*pm, Kate wrote:

[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Good idea; put a cheap 'tarp' in the back under the bags to catch the
dust.

A half ton truck can presumably handles 1000 pounds easily.

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

225lbs IS extremely obese for most people. Unless it's a very
athletic/muscular man over 6' tall. It's 75-110lbs overweight for women.

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote in
:

.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I'll stay out of the load rating but...

Due to it being a cherry rig, be sure to pad the bed. *Sacks of that
stuff leak a bit and will leave scratches and lots of dust in an
unprotected bed.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Good idea; put a cheap 'tarp' in the back under the bags to catch the
dust.

A half ton truck can presumably handles 1000 pounds easily.

BTW 900 pounds is roughly four, not extremely obese, people.

Many moons ago I opened back slider window with mulch in the back. Mulch
storm in the cab.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:19:07 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

Many moons ago I opened back slider window with mulch in the back. Mulch
storm in the cab.

Don't you just hate that?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote the following:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not
a huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it. The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Look on the sticker on the drivers door frame. The load limit will be
posted there.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 12:02*am, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. *I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. *Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. *You may get a chuckle
out of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on
it. *The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

How old are the tires and what type, be sure to inflate them cold to
just under the maximum, if the are 89 or have visable rot forget the
trip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry? - Update

On 7/13/2010 10:02 PM, Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a chuckle out
of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles on it.
The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great posts. I even got some good
chuckles.

My problem has been solved, thanks to Dear Dad.

This morning he had the air in the tires checked, filled the truck up
with gas, and brought home 15 sixty-pound bags of concrete. Then he
said, "Here you go, it is a gift". He got it in town, one mile from
home, whereas I was going to go to Ziggy's where I have to go tomorrow
night to pick up the rest of the vinyl gate/fence material. My plan was
to fill the truck up with gas on my way home. I will still use the
truck for the rest of the material, but I owe my parents a very nice
dinner in the near future.

My parents are the best, and everyone here is too.

Many thanks.

Kate

I was pl

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote in
:

[...]

"Here you go, it is a gift".

He gave you the pickup? No, guess not huh... :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2010 8:56 PM, Kate wrote:
[...]

FWIW, I had an old Chevy 3/4 ton pickup and I used to carry about 2000
to 3000 pounds in it fairly regularly. I put 4600# in it once, but the
steering got kind of squirrely (brakes were still fine; it had huge
brakes.) The actual limit is usually the tires. With a 3/4 ton truck,
if you do overload it and break an axle they are easy to replace and you
don't even have to unload the truck. With a 1/2 ton truck, if you break
an axle you are in deep doo-doo.

Your little truck probably should handle 1000 pounds just fine if you
air the tires up to the maximum pressure that's stamped on the
sidewalls, but I can't really say because I can't see your tires from
here.

Put heavy loads towards the front of the cab so the front tires share
some of the weight. That also keeps them from shifting if you have to
slam on the brakes.

Buy your dad a nice steak dinner. :-)

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 19:52:05 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 8:56 PM, Kate wrote:
[...]

Pop hauled 2 tons of firewood on his F150 several times without
incident - but once, with the tires at the "recommended" pressure, and
on a bit of a side-hill in slightly soft ground, he rolled all 4 tires
off the rim at once. - and called ME to get him out of his fix. Jacked
it up with a HandiMan jack, removed the wheels and re-inflated them to
50PSI, put them back on, and away he went.

He had a Toyota "heavy Half" that almost always had over a ton and a
half on it for 6 years - and my old man has a heavy foot too. One
wheel bearing failure in those 6 years. It had a "barn" on the back
made of 1/2 inch plywood, and was always loaded to the gills with
rolls of copper wire and other electrical supplies, and several heavy
duty ladders on the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:02:07 -0700, Kate
wrote:

[...]

I had 15 bags of sakrete in a 86 LeBaron. I did put "Low Rider"
on the
MP3 player when I was leaving Home Depot.

That is less than a half ton, what the smallest pickups are
rated for

It'll be fine, Kate. It's a good idea, though, to have them stack
the bags of mix toward the front of the truck's bed to equalize
the load a bit.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:28:40 -0700, "Nonny" wrote Re
How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?:

I had 15 bags of sakrete in a 86 LeBaron. I did put "Low Rider"
on the
MP3 player when I was leaving Home Depot.

That is less than a half ton, what the smallest pickups are
rated for

It'll be fine, Kate. It's a good idea, though, to have them stack
the bags of mix toward the front of the truck's bed to equalize
the load a bit.

+1 on that. You won't have any problem with that load.