Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:17:36 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 14, 8:00 am, LSMFT wrote:
Kate wrote:
Hi All,

My Dad is loaning me his 1989 Dodge Ram, the sports model so it is
not a
huge truck, to haul concrete and posts, etc. for a new vinyl gate
and
fence. I just finished gating in one end of my back yard, but now
am
ready to do the other end.

I need 15 bags of pre-mixed concrete. Each bag weighs 60 pounds.
Can this little truck handle 900 pounds?

I sure don't want to risk damaging this truck. You may get a
chuckle out
of it, but Dad keeps it spit shined, and it only has 21,000 miles
on it.
The only thing I really miss in it is that there are no air bags.

I will be hauling the concrete 24 miles from my home.

Thanks for your help.

Kate

I can haul a pallet (one ton) of pellets on my Nissian Frontier with
no
problem. That's 2000 lbs. Even better now since I added 1500lb
spring
boosters.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.- Hide quoted text -

Brakes are big part of ratings, sure you can haul 2000lb but it wont
stop well, get in an accident thats your fault and your weight could
be a charge of negligence.

"Half ton" used to mean that there was a payload of 1000 lbs. What it
means now, who knows? But I would think 900 lbs would be at the high
end of what you can carry. The cost to make two trips will be a lot
less than the cost of having to replace shocks and whatever else might
go wrong.

Virtually every "half ton" truck on the road today will handle a full
ton of payload if properly distributed and driven sensibly on
reasonable road surfaces. Handling will not be fantastic, and you need
to drive carefully to avoid having to do panic stops -
but 900 lbs will definitely not hurt any half ton truck in reasonable
condition under normal on-road driving conditions.