Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:15:34 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote Re Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets:

My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train
the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this
modern age that method is frowned upon.

Bingo! The best solution is so simple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:15:34 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote Re Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets:

My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train
the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this
modern age that method is frowned upon.

Bingo! The best solution is so simple.

My generation was spanked and became spankers...out of date for most
people. My children do not spank their children...my three grandkids
are well behaved, good students, well DISCIPLINED. "Time out" works
wonders...two minutes sitting on a chair, without toys or TV, is an
ETERNITY for a toddler....have to gauge discipline to the child's age
and ability to understand. When they refuse to sit in a chair for a
time out, sit down with them on your lap to enforce it. I tangled with
a resistant grandson once...at the same age he was able to tell an adult
that "you shouldn't treat children like that." (in reference to other
means of discipline).

Depending on the age/strength of the toddler, a loop of bungee cord
around handles might be sufficient deterrent. If the toddler is there a
great deal of the time, then it is time to rearrange and remove hazards
while teaching that some areas are off limits. A door or drawer of her
own makes a teachable arrangement...little ones often like to play with
pots/pans or plastic bowls. When an area is off limits, and the child
is ALWAYS being supervised, then the off-limits areas are enforced with
a strong "No!" and intervention. Kids don't need punishment unless they
commit a crime...discipline is not punishment, it is teaching.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

No one can ALWAYS watch what they do. It's a nice dream,tho.

I would argue that...I'm a parent and a grand-parent, so I speak from
experience. Living in Florida, I read about every other week of another
toddler drowning in a swimming pool and often in the care of someone
other than the parent or when there is a gathering and the parents are
distracted.

My husband and I had three grandsons for an extended vacation when they
were quite small...2,3 and 5. We were sitting on the patio with the
children nearby. I went inside to check on dinner and probably wasn't
inside more than two or three minutes. In that time, the two year old
went out back to the seawall...I found him lying on his tummy, looking
into the water from the edge of the seawall, as we often did to watch
the critters. He could have fallen off a dock or wandered into the
street. Hubby wasn't accustomed to watching little ones or just not
cautious.

Two is old enough to open a door and go into the street or be taken, get
into a medicine cabinet or a purse to get medicines...only takes
moments. Grandparents, I think, might be less aware of hazards to
little ones because the hazards are the grandparents' "normal".
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

As the original poster, I want to simply say that I entirely agree with
the idea of adult vigilance and supervision.

My own belief is that this is a home repair forum, and that an obvious
answer such as "Supervise the kid", sterilize the parents, use a BB
gun, and all of the other wise-guy comments are people who need to show
off, and make what are entirely stupid and irrelevant remarks.

Those people who come to this forum and try to offer useful helpful are
to be commended and thanked for their generous offerings of expertise
and time.

Those who think they have some earth-shattering and valuable comment to
offer such as "forget the cabinets and get a BB gun" are sick people
who inflict their perverse and counter-productive crap on the rest of
us.

I, for one, am so disgusted with the childish, self-serving commentary
that entirely and deliberately ignores the purpose of this forum and
the sincere attempt some people are making to connect to others with
more experience.

Telling someone to go and Google misses the point, since the benefit of
actual expertise and experience is what others are usually seeking.

As the reply suggesting Google correctly indicates, the number of
Google choices from doing a search is enormous. The purpose of asking a
question here is not to find an enormous variety of choices, but rather
to find the relatively few very good choices only discovered through
actual experience. This and other newsgroups attract legitimate experts
whose advise I highly respect. Learning from other newsgroup members is
what makes this such a powerful method of research.

I have helped many hundreds of people with tons of questions on this
and several other forums and newsgroups over my retirement years, and
genuinely enjoy helping others. I learned a lot in 35+ years of
engineering, and also a lot in 35+ years of home improvements DIY.

I deeply respect those who come here to help others. And I hold in
great contempt those who pervert and disgrace these groups with
wise-guy comments, for no other reason than to show-off how clever they
can be.

Someone suggesting a BB gun and slingshot to supervise a child just
makes me sick.

And those who seek to hijack these threads by starting outrageous
dialogs on gun control, religion, and all the other un-related topics,
are a disgrace to the very causes and crusades they represent.

End of rant....................
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote

Someone suggesting a BB gun and slingshot to supervise a child just
makes me sick.

Good, then maybe you won't come back. What makes me sick is people that
would actually think someone would do that. Sign of deep seated problems if
you don't understand it was dark humor.

Unfortunately for you, this is a non moderated newsgroup and no one needs
your approval to say anything we please. Most of the "regulars" here have
been giving solid and helpful advice for years. We don't need a nanny

I feel sort of bad four you. I'm guessing you've not had a good laugh for
years and are busy being PC to everyone. But thanks for taking the time to
express your disapproval of us. Yes, go ahead and say it. You won't be
the first to call me an ***hole today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I feel sort of bad four you.

Ed,

Your stupidity shows in each and every way. I fell sort of bad "four"
you too.........

**** you sideways you big dope.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I feel sort of bad four you.

Ed,

Your stupidity shows in each and every way. I fell sort of bad "four"
you too.........

**** you sideways you big dope.....

OK. so a typo makes me stupid. Unlike you, I can converse without using
foul language. I hope you are saving a copy of this to show your
grandchildren so you can brag what a wonderful grandfather you are. The
world needs role models like you. They can take a printed copy to school
for "show and tell" some day. That'll make them proud.