Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 14:15:34 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote Re Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets:

My mother used a method called "spank de arse"...that seemed to train
the toddlers to keep out of the drawers and doors. Somehow in this
modern age that method is frowned upon.

Bingo! The best solution is so simple.

My generation was spanked and became spankers...out of date for most
people. My children do not spank their children...my three grandkids
are well behaved, good students, well DISCIPLINED. "Time out" works
wonders...two minutes sitting on a chair, without toys or TV, is an
ETERNITY for a toddler....have to gauge discipline to the child's age
and ability to understand. When they refuse to sit in a chair for a
time out, sit down with them on your lap to enforce it. I tangled with
a resistant grandson once...at the same age he was able to tell an adult
that "you shouldn't treat children like that." (in reference to other
means of discipline).

Depending on the age/strength of the toddler, a loop of bungee cord
around handles might be sufficient deterrent. If the toddler is there a
great deal of the time, then it is time to rearrange and remove hazards
while teaching that some areas are off limits. A door or drawer of her
own makes a teachable arrangement...little ones often like to play with
pots/pans or plastic bowls. When an area is off limits, and the child
is ALWAYS being supervised, then the off-limits areas are enforced with
a strong "No!" and intervention. Kids don't need punishment unless they
commit a crime...discipline is not punishment, it is teaching.