Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets

On 7/3/2010 4:03 PM, Smarty wrote:
As grandparents, my wife and I do frequent toddler babysitting.

The kitchen cabinets, drawers, and other compartments are very tempting
for our grand-daughter to investigate. We are looking for a way to keep
this closed and inaccessible to a young child, while still allowing
adults to easily open and close the doors and drawers.

Unlike 30 years ago when our own children were toddlers, we now have
very high quality custom cabinetry and drawers, and do NOT want to
drill or attach any fasteners which deface or damage the cabinets /
doors. The fasteners were used 30 years ago required drilling holes
into both the doors and the cabinets in order to attach the plastic
latches. This is NOT an option for our current cabinets.

Does anybody know of any device or fastener or method which provides a
secure and reliable latch to children, easy access to adults, and easy
removal without leaving any permanent damage to the custom cabinetry?

Thanks in advance for your assistance and suggestions.

Put little boxing gloves on the tykes. ;-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You know, if they'd have wrapped that rascal, there wouldn't be any
little toddlers to worry about.

Jay
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Or maybe child sized handcuffs (With hands behind their backs.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Good thought, Jeff! As an E.E. and half century plus Extra Class of
comparable vintage, I would have expected you to offer an RF technique,
a capacitive alarm warning, something beyond "handcuffs".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smarty wrote:

jeff_wisnia wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

I've always believed that the essence of pragmatism can be expressed as,
"If it works, use it".

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Keeping a toddler out of drawers and cabinets Zz Yzx Home Repair 8 July 4th 10 09:08 PM
TODDLER BED J T Woodworking 0 March 1st 06 06:20 PM
TODDLER BED J T Woodworking 0 August 28th 05 01:06 AM
Rear mounting sockets for Scheirich cabinets/drawers Desperado Woodworking 0 June 3rd 05 09:49 PM
Toddler killed by fireplace Owain UK diy 0 July 21st 03 06:35 PM