Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New a new refrigerator - any recommendations?

Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message
Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be
staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

--
Bobby G.

I think you answered your own question when you said you do not want to
spend a lot and you are moving soon. If that is anything less than two
years, then look for the least expensive price and do not worry about the
modle.

If I was wanting a good one, then it would be Whirlpool.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Robert Green wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads
call-in show, newspaper, etc., ... there are almost always well-working
units available very inexpensively even in this pretty small town from
moves, remodeling, upgrades, etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/26/2010 09:38 AM, dpb wrote:
Robert Green wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be
staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads
call-in show, newspaper, etc., ... there are almost always well-working
units available very inexpensively even in this pretty small town from
moves, remodeling, upgrades, etc., ...

--

Craigslist.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Thanks. We've been moving since 2008 when the real estate market tanked, so
we could be here until the market "shakes out." How long that will be is
anyone's guess, but I suspect that by 2011, people will be unable to wait
out planned life changes much longer. My wife's decided she needs to
continue to work as long as she can instead of retiring last year because
the future is so uncertain. What was once a nice nest egg is a runny,
soft-boiled mess.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 12:34*am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? *Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be staying
behind. * Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

--
Bobby G.

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote
dpb wrote:
Robert Green wrote:

behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads

Craigslist.

Or Freecycle. Whichever is locally better run. In my little neck, the
craigslist isnt well run but the Freecycle is. Just has to do with the
local moderator is all. I see Fridges (working) at least once a week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote
dpb wrote:
Robert Green wrote:

behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads

Craigslist.

Or Freecycle. Whichever is locally better run. In my little neck, the
craigslist isnt well run but the Freecycle is. Just has to do with the
local moderator is all. I see Fridges (working) at least once a week.

Craigslist? Moderated? I don't think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

Or Freecycle. Whichever is locally better run. In my little neck, the
craigslist isnt well run but the Freecycle is. Just has to do with the
local moderator is all. I see Fridges (working) at least once a week.

Craigslist? Moderated? I don't think so.

Doesnt seem to be here either and rather a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

Do they still make them like that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? *Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be staying
behind. * Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

--
Bobby G.

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.- Hide quoted text -

Whats the point of having it on the back as a peference, I got a sears
a few years ago because it was the most efficent I could get, the coil
is underneath, so efficency isnt a reason, The old 20 yr unit I
replaced is on the back, so it shoudnt be resessed in a tight area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 4:49*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

Do they still make them like that?

Probably not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 26, 2:49*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

Do they still make them like that?

Yes they do. My mother bought a new one for my son’s house a few
months ago and I she had me pick it out for her. If you want I can
call her and ask her if she knows the make and model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

replaced is on the back, so it shoudnt be resessed in a tight area.- Hide quoted text -

Unless you have a character like Felix Unger or Monk you either will
neglect to clean the coil under it or you wont be able to clean it
enough which will cause the compressor to overheat and shorten its
life or the condenser fan which is a necessity when you have the
condenser coil in the bottom will burn out its motor for one reason or
another and you will not notice it which will again cause the
compressor to overheat and shorten its life. As far as efficiency goes
I don’t know what kind of logic or formula the air heads use to
calculate that but how is running a condenser fan motor which uses
electricity more efficient than not running one? They probably use the
same logic they apply to dishwashers that use less water but take
twice as long to wash the dishes, and no it shouldn’t be recessed in a
tight area but thank God we don’t live in a third world country where
every home is a tight area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/26/2010 07:00 PM, ransley wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:58 am, Molly wrote:
On Jun 26, 12:34 am, "Robert
wrote:

[...]

so you can clean it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Swapsheet, craigslist, Goodwill, referalls, word of mouth, etc. Buy
used.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message
Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I
can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not
very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be
staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
Robert Green wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be

staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads
call-in show, newspaper, etc., ... there are almost always well-working
units available very inexpensively even in this pretty small town from
moves, remodeling, upgrades, etc., ...

That's a good idea. I'm leaning towards new just because it's too easy to
inherit someone else's problem, which I definitely don't want to do) and
because the vendor will deliver the new and remove the old, saving me much
hassle. I'm too old and beat up to wrangle anything bigger than my head
around and I have the strangulated hernia scars to prove it. Double!

Thanks for your input! DPB - mind if I call you D?

Pet peeve, why do people like DPB not adopt a first name of some sort just
to make it easier to interact? It seems more and more the style. Maybe I
am just an old fogey . . . If "initial only" posters are not proactive
enough, they could get stuck like Piggy in the Lord of the Flies with a
first name they don't like at all!

D for . . . hmmmm (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be
staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads
call-in show, newspaper, etc., ... there are almost always well-working
units available very inexpensively even in this pretty small town from
moves, remodeling, upgrades, etc., ...

--

Craigslist.

Thanks Nate. I watch the People's Court a lot because the judge Marilyn M.
comes from a contractor family and thus they have a lot of small claims
contractor related cases. My own sister is a judge - more like Judge Judy,
so it's a bit of an addiction because sis watches too, and it give us
something to talk about at holidays. Anyway, more and more cases are
starting out "I found the defendant on Craigslist."

As I noted in a previous message, my double hernia (with revisions!)
dictates I not wrangle refrigerators around, so I guess that means buying
new. I'd also be afraid of getting one that had roach eggs or worse in the
innards. The box I have now, which came with the house, had the coils
coated in strawberry jam which I only discovered when I took it apart after
a freezeup. In fact, it failed because I manhandled the coils during the
cleanup.

Thanks for your input!

Did I really right "New a new" - I mean write! God, senility is gaining on
me!!!

Anyway, NEED a new - I should have indicated that NEW meant brand new and
not just new to me.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Nate Nagel" wrote
dpb wrote:
Robert Green wrote:

behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads

Craigslist.

Or Freecycle. Whichever is locally better run. In my little neck, the
craigslist isnt well run but the Freecycle is. Just has to do with the
local moderator is all. I see Fridges (working) at least once a week.

Gawd, it's tempting, especially if I find someone who's willing to deliver
and haul the old one away for some extra $. But I remember working on the
refrigerator in the walkup I lived in. It was basically the Kingdom of the
Roaches. I am sure experienced appliance repair folks have seen it before.
Warm, dark, near food - a perfect roach mansion.

I am afraid I will be sticking with new units and looking for advice and
which have been the most trouble free for users.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be

staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

--
Bobby G.

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

What are the other options and why are they not good?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Jun 26, 2:49 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Molly Brown" wrote

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

Do they still make them like that?

Yes they do. My mother bought a new one for my son’s house a few
months ago and I she had me pick it out for her. If you want I can
call her and ask her if she knows the make and model.

I would appreciate knowing the make/model if you don't mind, and any gripes
she might have about it. I've been Googling about what's best, side by
side, freezer top and freezer bottom. I think, because it's a small
kitchen, I would go with side-by-side, although one site claimed they were
less efficient than the over-under design.

Thanks for your input, Molly. Are you really unsinkable or is that just a
rumor? (0:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Swapsheet, craigslist, Goodwill, referalls, word of mouth, etc. Buy
used.

See my other notes. I'll look into it simply because I've got a lot of
stuff to sell before we move, or so my wife says when she stands by my bank
of Pentium III machines with her arms crossed saying "THOSE are not coming
with us."

I should have said I wanted experience with people who have bought new units
recently. We might move next month or it might take years. My wife now
wants to work until they force her out because her pension savings took such
a mighty hit when the market collapsed in 2008.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

With those new paramaters..... I don't like the new GE with the
circuit board. Nor, Amana, which is also complicated. I've worked on a
couple LG, and they are also complicated.

Whirlpool, tends to be simple. I've heard good about Maytag, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message

I am afraid I will be sticking with new units and looking for advice
and
which have been the most trouble free for users.

Thanks for your input!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The other option is condensor under the fridge, and fan to blow the
heat out. I prefer the condensor under models. I figure the fan forced
air is more effective.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Green" wrote in message

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

What are the other options and why are they not good?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote
"dpb" wrote

In that case, I'd suggest looking for used via the local free radio ads

That's a good idea. I'm leaning towards new just because it's too easy to
inherit someone else's problem, which I definitely don't want to do) and
because the vendor will deliver the new and remove the old, saving me much
hassle. I'm too old and beat up to wrangle anything bigger than my head

I was wondering if that might be an issue. Some folks even on freecycle
will help with moving.

Thanks for your input! DPB - mind if I call you D?

Pet peeve, why do people like DPB not adopt a first name of some sort just
to make it easier to interact? It seems more and more the style. Maybe I
am just an old fogey . . . If "initial only" posters are not proactive
enough, they could get stuck like Piggy in the Lord of the Flies with a
first name they don't like at all!

Grin, It's lots of reasons but you'll find after a while, many of us have
posted at least a first name. Though they often refer to me as 'cshenk' or
'Shenk' there's plenty here who will pop up and tell you I'm Carol if asked.

There's quite a few regulars here who are ladies if you didn't know that.
Oddly, I think a higher percentage than in most groups. Every now and
again, you'll see a little OT note about something related to that and it
can ge pretty funny when someone new finds out the 'guy who was helping them
learn how to (insert whatever)' was a lady. D might be Debbie!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

Or Freecycle. Whichever is locally better run. In my little neck, the
craigslist isnt well run but the Freecycle is. Just has to do with the
local moderator is all. I see Fridges (working) at least once a week.

Gawd, it's tempting, especially if I find someone who's willing to deliver
and haul the old one away for some extra $. But I remember working on the
refrigerator in the walkup I lived in. It was basically the Kingdom of
the
Roaches. I am sure experienced appliance repair folks have seen it
before.
Warm, dark, near food - a perfect roach mansion.

I am afraid I will be sticking with new units and looking for advice and
which have been the most trouble free for users.

No problem Bobby! Hey, here's one next idea. I have a local Maytag repair
place who also sells refubished units. They provide installation and haul
away for a fee (40$). I've gotten many things there over time and always
had good luck.

My current fridge is an Amana, bought new 10 years ago and still going
strong. The one before it was a whirlpool that came with the house (age
unknown, may have been 35 or more).

When buying a new gas oven a bit ago, I looked at the fridges just for ideas
on what they cost today and there were many small but decent models in the
400$ range at the local Lowes. If retired military, you also get a 10%
discount there. (I;m retired Navy, 26 years).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote
"Molly Brown" wrote in message

I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

What are the other options and why are they not good?

Bottom or back are the options. Back is easier if you can move the fridge
to clean the coils now and again. They last longer but you have to
sporadically do that it seems. Also you have to leave more freespace behind
with those models.

Bottom coil units don't get cleaned the same and seem to not need that.
Probably sounds to me like a better unit for your needs would be the bottom
fan type.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Something made why Whirlpool, regardless of the brand -- Roper, Sears
Kenmore, Costco Kirkland, Estate, or Ingilis. Avoid Maytag, one of
the least reliable refrigerator brands, unless you can get proof in
writing that it's a Whirlpool design (Whirlpool took over Maytag last
year).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 03:34:09 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer and since older units are not very
energy efficient, I have decided it's time for euthanasia.

So I am looking for an equivalent (or slightly smaller) unit as a
replacement.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands and models? Don't want to
spend a lot because we'll be moving soon and the unit will likely be staying
behind. Don't need an icemaker or cold water dispenser, just a
straight-forward food cooler.

Thanks in advance for any input!

It doesn't make sense to buy a new frig--get a used one. When it is
time to sell the house, you can sell it on Craigslist or use it as a
bargaining item if the buyer doesnt have one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote

It doesn't make sense to buy a new frig--get a used one. When it is
time to sell the house, you can sell it on Craigslist or use it as a
bargaining item if the buyer doesnt have one.

If you don't want the icemaker water in the door models, an common fridge
can be had on Craigslist for cheap for one that is only a couple of years
old. That's what I'd do.

A friend of mine HAD to have one of the icemaker water in the door models.
Got one off Craigslist by placing a wanted ad, and got a 1.5 year old huge
one that cost $1200 for $400.

One of the small simple ones should run $100-$200.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:12:01 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
om...

[...]

You *are* an optimist. 2011 is going to be the double-dip that Obama'a
actions demand. It'll be another five years before this mess gets
straightened out.

My wife's decided she needs to
continue to work as long as she can instead of retiring last year because
the future is so uncertain. What was once a nice nest egg is a runny,
soft-boiled mess.

SWMBO would love to quit her job and retire but she got awfully tired of
staying home, too. I retired in '06. That lasted nine months. My current
plan is to work another five to eight years. By then I'll have all the toys I
need to retire in style. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2010 6:27 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Jun 26, 4:00 pm, wrote:
On Jun 26, 10:58 am, Molly wrote:

On Jun 26, 12:34 am, "Robert
wrote:

[...]

The very expensive high end priced up in the clouds home refrigerators
that are built more like commercial units have the condenser on top
where it should be. The fan/coil on the bottom acts like a vacuum
cleaner and grabs every bit of dust and debris kicked up by people
walking about a kitchen. It's the same thing with a PC when folks put it
on the floor under or next to their desk. I have a long brush and
a Shop-Vac that I use when servicing home refrigerators. Molly is right
about the convection cooled condenser coil covering the back of a
fridge, it's the only type that is virtually plug in and forget. About
the only problem you'll have with one is the mechanical motor driven
defrost timer or evaporator fan motor.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 4:21*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...9000P?prdNo=18

I'm not sure if she has any gripes about it. It's hard to tell when it
comes to my mother. She said something about a noise but when I asked
her how often the refrigerator makes that noise she wasn't sure. For
all I know it could be the ice maker making ice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 7:17*am, "cshenk" wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
I recommend buying a refrigerator that has its condenser coil on the
back and preferably covers the entire back and not just half way.

What are the other options and why are they not good?

Bottom or back are the options. *Back is easier if you can move the fridge
to clean the coils now and again. *They last longer but you have to
sporadically do that it seems. *Also you have to leave more freespace behind
with those models.

Bottom coil units don't get cleaned the same and seem to not need that.
Probably sounds to me like a better unit for your needs would be the bottom
fan type.

Are you kidding me? You should see some of the dust that I come across
every time I look at the condenser coil under peoples’ refrigerators.
Its like winter wonderland in an alternate universe down there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 7:17 am, "cshenk" wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote

[...]

reply: I have never seen a refrigerator that wasn't seriously dusted up,
and I never met a homeowner who knew it was there and required cleaning. I
just finally convinced my wife after eight years that refrigerators need
side and back clearance. She built a custom kitchen, and left 1/4"
clearance all around, and pushed the fridge back to the wall, leaving no
clearance all around. The fridge died last week. It is good to pull your
fridge from the wall, open that up every once in a while, and either vacuum
with a long pointy nozzle, or blow it out with air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-28, Steve B wrote:

reply: I have never seen a refrigerator that wasn't seriously dusted up,
and I never met a homeowner who knew it was there and required
cleaning.

Hi. My name is not Bob.

Yes, I know about it. After buying a repair manual and learning how
to replace defrost cycle timer, defrost ice-encased frostless coils,
and generally tear the thing apart, I learned much. I also learned
you DO need to clean them coils. It was hot where I lived and dirty
coils meant the difference between mere hours and two days to freeze a
tray of ice. Once a year cleaning is enough.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-26, Robert Green wrote:
Our 17 cu. ft. refrigerator has finally gotten to the point where I can't
find parts or keep it alive any longer.......

Since it appears you are capable of working on your fridge, consider
repairability as a criteria.

As an example, I was given a fairly new GE refrigerator that was not
running. I'm pretty good at repairing appliances and figured I could
get this one back online, no problem. PROBLEM! I discovered the
failure was due to a bad temp controller and I went down to my local
appliance parts place, and gave them the model and serial number. I
knew and trusted these guys, from long association, and they told me
this particular model, a low end one, was not worth the effort. They
said the specialized tool needed to effect said repair would probably
cost more than a similar model refrigerator. IOW, a disposable
cheapie design.

I'd ask a parts or repair center about ease of rapair before choosing.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message
As an example, I was given a fairly new GE refrigerator that was not
running. I'm pretty good at repairing appliances and figured I could
get this one back online, no problem. PROBLEM! I discovered the
failure was due to a bad temp controller and I went down to my local
appliance parts place, and gave them the model and serial number. I
knew and trusted these guys, from long association, and they told me
this particular model, a low end one, was not worth the effort. They
said the specialized tool needed to effect said repair would probably
cost more than a similar model refrigerator. IOW, a disposable
cheapie design.

It seems that on most low price appliances that the cost to repair is not
worth it. If the item is more than a few years old, you replace one part
and a month later another part goes out. By the time you get two or three
parts , you have the price of a new appliance.
This is especially true if you have to pay someone to do the work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message
[...]

I threw away a good amount of money on two used refrigerators in my life.
Now, I don't do that any more.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2010 10:08 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-06-26, Robert wrote:
[...]

I checked out a refrigerator for a fellow I knew a while back after his
house was hit by lightning. It damaged a lot of stuff including blowing
electrical outlets out of the wall. Anyway, he had a very nice fridge
that quit running, a model with all sorts of digital readouts and
electronic controls. The compressor was OK but the microprocessor based
control board located in a compartment in the back of the fridge was
toast. A new board was more than $100.00 my cost. I fixed a simple
fridge for my friends daughter who's home was hit by lighting and the
capacitor, evaporator fan motor and defrost timer cost a lot less than
the fancy computer control of the the other folk's refrigerator. The
lesson being that you may want to forego fancy bells and whistles when
you choose a refrigerator.

TDD

What To Look For In A Refrigerator? Abby Brown Home Repair 73 July 21st 09 03:47 AM
Refrigerator Q Lou Home Repair 3 March 14th 07 06:19 PM
Refrigerator Roger Home Repair 5 February 25th 06 12:46 PM
Refrigerator JasmynJade Home Repair 9 November 22nd 05 01:31 AM
Sub-Zero refrigerator TJAGF Home Repair 1 May 18th 04 11:45 AM