Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Recommendations Needed

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 6:49*am, Pointer wrote:
Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. *Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

Buy a "coiling" type garage door. That's the kind that rolls up into a
coil NOT the kind that rolls up over your head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 May 2010, Molly Brown wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Buy a "coiling" type garage door. That's the kind that rolls up
into a coil NOT the kind that rolls up over your head.

Why?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pointer wrote:
Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand recommendations
concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

By one that fits the opening from the local lumber company and install
it yourself. About $350. An extra $100 if you want a window panel.
I like the old fashioned dual coil springs with cables. Not that wind up
toy.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pointer wrote:
Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation
company.

If you're clever, you can find a (say) metal door that will fit your
existing tracks. That makes the installation even easier.

Doors come in panels 8' wide and about 18" tall. These panels are then
bolted together like a giant Erector Set. If your hand fits a wrench, it
should be a doable job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 9:49*am, Pointer wrote:
Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. *Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I had my old wooden clunker replaced with a Raynor steel door with
decorative windows and insulation panels.
Been at least 5 years and still looks new.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:49:03 -0400, Pointer
wrote:

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I met a guy at the Chinese consulate in DC, on his way to China to
check on production of his garage door. It's painted or something to
look like it's an open porch, with tables etc. inside and a nice
white-bordered roof.

I think his wife invented and the first trip or two they took
together, but now he was on his 4th or 5th trip and all the glamour of
going to China had worn off and it just a drag.

They have a good webpage, but I can't remember the name.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

It was maybe 30, 40, 50 percent more than your average door, but did
look nice, if you don't want to admit you have a garage.

wrote:

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I met a guy at the Chinese consulate in DC, on his way to China to
check on production of his garage door. It's painted or something to
look like it's an open porch, with tables etc. inside and a nice
white-bordered roof.

I think his wife invented and the first trip or two they took
together, but now he was on his 4th or 5th trip and all the glamour of
going to China had worn off and it just a drag.

They have a good webpage, but I can't remember the name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I'm very biased about these doors.* I've seen numerous installed, so
when I had one replaced last year I bought a Martin garage door. A
family owned business.

They started selling them at HD and Lowe's - get a look at the
quality. There are some samples in the store. I didn't know this when
I called them for a new GD. The Martin rep that came to my house told
me to visit one of these stores and save $200 on the purchase price.
At first I objected that idea because Martin doors are installed ONLY
by trained installers. He explained the doors are installed by the
Martin company installers and not some fly by night outfit.

Put the door on a no interest payment plan, filed taxes this year and
obtained an energy tax credit (30%) on my income taxes. This door gets
money back from my uncle...

http://www.martindoor.com/

Tax credit PDF (two pages)

http://www.martindoor.com/Portals/0/...Tax-Credit.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I met a guy at the Chinese consulate in DC, on his way to China to
check on production of his garage door. It's painted or something to
look like it's an open porch, with tables etc. inside and a nice
white-bordered roof.

Some artists are really good at that type painting. Up in PA was an
appliance/furniture store with a boring white painted brick wall. After
it was painted by the artist it fooled me for a second or two. Painting
things like an awning at an angle really gave it the 3 dimensional look.
It had big store windows showing furniture and high tech looking
stereo systems. It was the talk of the town, and surrounding towns for
some time. The artist was that good. I've also seen some delivery
trucks with the back door painted so it looked like the door was open
and a worker hanging on. At least one report of a driver behind the
truck getting out at a red light and telling the truck driver that the
back door was open, that appliances may fall out onto the road!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 May 2010 18:07:36 -0400, mm
wrote:

It was maybe 30, 40, 50 percent more than your average door, but did
look nice, if you don't want to admit you have a garage.

Looks like a Library:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...bdc5970c-500wi

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 8:50*am, Nil wrote:
On 20 May 2010, Molly Brown wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Buy a "coiling" type garage door. That's the kind that rolls up
into a coil NOT the kind that rolls up over your head.

Why?

Almost never breaks down, takes up a lot less space and you need a lot
more than a can opener to get through it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On May 20, 9:49 am, Pointer wrote:
Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I had my old wooden clunker replaced with a Raynor steel door with
decorative windows and insulation panels.
Been at least 5 years and still looks new.

Ditto on Raynor..I have 2 10X7's in my new garage...When I was getting
quotes and checking prices I found out that I could get them installed about
150 bucks more than I could buy them and install them myself..I let the
pro's do it (local installer)and I love the doors....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 20, 4:45*pm, Frank wrote:
On May 20, 9:49*am, Pointer wrote:

Time to replace two 8' x 7' overhead doors in Maryland near Annapolis.
Garage is attached and unheated w/o shop. *Any first hand
recommendations concerning the type, brand or local installation company.

I had my old wooden clunker replaced with a Raynor steel door with
decorative windows and insulation panels.
Been at least 5 years and still looks new.

I had an 18' x 7' Raynor door installed many years ago. Great door,
with all the bells and whistles (insulation, interior panels,...). I
didn't much like their openers so bought a Sears and installed that
myself (it was quite a while back). I wouldn't attempt installing it
myself, though. The overhead door companies know what they're doing
and aren't expensive at all.

security sensor needed for garage door Randy Metalworking 16 June 18th 08 05:19 AM
Short garage door opener needed / problem [email protected] Home Ownership 2 July 7th 06 01:03 AM
Advice about garage door repairs needed... chicagofan Home Repair 15 January 16th 06 04:50 AM
Garage door needed Mike UK diy 9 November 23rd 05 03:07 AM
Genie Keyless Garage Door Pad Opener - No Electrician Needed as It'sWireless Corinne Home Repair 4 November 15th 04 03:57 PM