Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

Default Advice about garage door repairs needed...

My garage doors got 2 panels knocked out over the holidays by a [indigent]
family member, and I need to know if it is likely that the whole door will
have to replaced... rather than repaired.

It was installed 20 yrs. ago, and has 3 windows in it, above the panels
which were damaged. It's never been worked on, and previously just made a
lot of noise in the summertime, because the female owner of the house [moi],
never oiled it. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer.

So my question, is it likely those panels can be replaced, or that I have to
spring for the whole door? And if I have to buy a new door, what type is
the most reasonable in the Southeast? What's the choice or price range now,
if I still want a door with the windows?

I got a coupon in the mail from Overhead Door, which used to have a good
reputation in my area. Anyone used them recently? Any advice will be
appreciated. TIA...

Barbara
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

chicagofan wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, but why don't you get a quote from the repair company? And
maybe 2 others? It seems obvious that is the first thing to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

Stubby wrote:

chicagofan wrote:

[...]

I plan to... just thought I would ask for some advice from CONSUMERS who've
bought doors recently about pros and cons of their experience. And when it
comes to repairs, my experience is, I am usually always told things *must*
be replaced... when the truth is often... the contractor doesn't want the
"repair" work. Just trying to get *prepared*.

Also since the mechanism still works, even though it is pretty old, I
wondered if hardware is better or worse today, and I should be looking to
replace it anyway.

Thanks for your obvious advice.
bj
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:56:57 -0500, chicagofan
wrote:

My garage doors got 2 panels knocked out over the holidays by a [indigent]
family member, and I need to know if it is likely that the whole door will
have to replaced... rather than repaired.

It was installed 20 yrs. ago, and has 3 windows in it, above the panels
which were damaged. It's never been worked on, and previously just made a
lot of noise in the summertime, because the female owner of the house [moi],
never oiled it. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer.

I live in western New York, and I have two garage doors made of wood
and similar material. No windows, but each has four rows of panels,
and the bottom row of each is basically rotten. I know I need to
replace them, so I called in two good companies locally.

I learned that I would pay about $200 per row of panels, and if I
included the electric openers, which I don't have right now, I'd be
looking at about $650 for those two. All of this work (totaling
around $1,100) would "enable" these folks to clean up and fix my two
garage doors so they work well. Right now, it's hard to latch them
because they're out of alignment, etc., etc.

Call two or three companies that service garage doors in your area,
including that Overhead door company you mention. You can get this
fixed without a lot of expense, I think: pay for the row of panels (I
do hope the two panels knocked out were in the same row) and then some
extra for cleaning and realigment of your door. Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Wayne Dalton makes excellent doors and in my experience they are reasonably
priced for installations at their stores. See if they have a store in your
area for an estimate. Lowes sells them too but charges more for
installation in my experience.

"chicagofan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Well, sometimes folks go ask anonymous usenet posters, instead of calling
real people on the phone. I'm never sure why.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Stubby" wrote in message

I'm sorry, but why don't you get a quote from the repair company? And
maybe 2 others? It seems obvious that is the first thing to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

sounds like you want a new door with a new opener, let's approximate
you'll get another 20 years out of a replacement door with a nice quiet
rubber belt opener for $2 per week or less. $2000 or less depending on
single or double size and height and your favorite styles. insulated
door if you air condition or heat your garage.
get a remote for each car, each house door, and a spare.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

My garage doors got 2 panels knocked out over the holidays by a [indigent]
family member, and I need to know if it is likely that the whole door will
have to replaced... rather than repaired.

It was installed 20 yrs. ago, and has 3 windows in it, above the panels
which were damaged. It's never been worked on, and previously just made a

Is the door made out of wood, plastic, metal, what?

What color is it? Is it an easy color to match, or are you willing to
paint the whole door. (That's something you can do yourself). How
hard is it to get paint that will stick to the door?

lot of noise in the summertime, because the female owner of the house [moi],
never oiled it. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer.

Oil it. It will probably go up easier.

So my question, is it likely those panels can be replaced, or that I have to
spring for the whole door? And if I have to buy a new door, what type is
the most reasonable in the Southeast? What's the choice or price range now,
if I still want a door with the windows?

I got a coupon in the mail from Overhead Door, which used to have a good
reputation in my area. Anyone used them recently? Any advice will be
appreciated. TIA...

Barbara

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

A garage door repairperson can get you sections that match exactly what you
have now. Especially if it's a wood door. But you have to figure in the
rest of the system. Are the tracks straight or bent, are the rollers in
need of replacing? Are the pulleys in good shape? How are the cables,
springs etc.?
Any door can be repaired but is it really worth it?

If you opt to replace the door I recommend "THE OVERHEAD DOORS" series.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Joe

Just buy a whole new house, that is what Commrade Joe would recomend.

TJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

KLS wrote:
chicagofan wrote:
My garage doors got 2 panels knocked out over the holidays by a [indigent]
family member, and I need to know if it is likely that the whole door will
have to replaced... rather than repaired.

It was installed 20 yrs. ago, and has 4 windows in it, above the panels
which were damaged. It's never been worked on, and previously just made a
lot of noise in the summertime, because the female owner of the house [moi],
never oiled it. Sorry I don't know the manufacturer.

I live in western New York, and I have two garage doors made of wood
and similar material. No windows, but each has four rows of panels,
and the bottom row of each is basically rotten. I know I need to
replace them, so I called in two good companies locally.

I learned that I would pay about $200 per row of panels, and if I
included the electric openers, which I don't have right now, I'd be
looking at about $650 for those two. All of this work (totaling
around $1,100) would "enable" these folks to clean up and fix my two
garage doors so they work well. Right now, it's hard to latch them
because they're out of alignment, etc., etc.

I know labor, services, etc., vary widely by location, but thanks so much
for this information! It's exactly what I was looking for. It tells me
doors like mine can be repaired, and I should look, until I have repair
prices to compare with the cost of a new door.

I was thinking a new door may be the best option in the end, but I haven't
seen any yet, that I like as much as the one I have now. So I'll see what
is most practical, because other problems could develop later with repairs.

Call two or three companies that service garage doors in your area,
including that Overhead door company you mention. You can get this
fixed without a lot of expense, I think: pay for the row of panels (I
do hope the two panels knocked out were in the same row) and then some
extra for cleaning and realigment of your door. Good luck.

They were both on the second row from the ground, but the bottom row should
probably be replaced [according to the last painter they're in bad shape,
it's just not visible yet].

Thanks again for letting me know I do have options.
bj
Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

Rich wrote:

A garage door repairperson can get you sections that match exactly what you
have now. Especially if it's a wood door. But you have to figure in the
rest of the system. Are the tracks straight or bent, are the rollers in
need of replacing? Are the pulleys in good shape? How are the cables,
springs etc.?

All the mechanics are still working, but I'm sure need to be checked for 20
yrs of corrosion, etc..

Any door can be repaired but is it really worth it?

I was debating that question, until I looked at the design options in
replacement doors in economical price ranges. Simple styles like mine with
windows in wood doors are hard to find... but I'm still looking.

If you opt to replace the door I recommend "THE OVERHEAD DOORS" series.

Thanks so much for the recommendation.

And thanks to Art for the "Wayne Dalton" rec., I have seen them advertised here.

Thanks to BuffaloBill for the price range [estimate] and the info on how I
can get my door "silenced" or quieter.

Really do appreciate all the responses guys, and I'm sorry some people can't
see the difference in asking opinions of the *consumers* of services, as
opposed to people *selling* services to you. I've used the internet for 10
yrs. to gather information BEFORE I buy a product or service, and didn't see
why this newsgroup should be any different.

If I post another stupid question in the future... please just ignore me
Stubby and Christopher. I DO know who I have to call.
bj
Posted to alt.home.repair
nospambob

I'm an advocate of the Packard Motor Car Co slogan of years ago "Ask
the man that owns one". Haven't found anything that's superior.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:32:49 -0500, chicagofan
wrote:

Really do appreciate all the responses guys, and I'm sorry some people can't
see the difference in asking opinions of the *consumers* of services, as
opposed to people *selling* services to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
chicagofan

nospambob wrote:
I'm an advocate of the Packard Motor Car Co slogan of years ago "Ask
the man that owns one". Haven't found anything that's superior.

Thanks... that's sort of the philosophy that has served me well in the past
too. The more information you have the better.
bj
Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

wrote:

[...]

Barbra Please contact me At So that I may tell
you in private DON'T get ripped off!
Sincerly
Anthony at Anthony's Door Systems

at
http://www.TitanNews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
g.a.miller

wrote:

[...]

You can usually replace panels, but if you have cloplay it won't be
worth just replacing panels because about 2 panels from cloplay cost
as much as a better door from some where else Good replacement door is
a stratford from Amarr doors in my opion.
Best Regards
Anthony

at http://www.TitanNews.com