Mike Faithfull

Default Wanted: Advice on Garage Racking

"David Longley" wrote in message
I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

Nearest scrap/reclamation yard & buy some used Dexion or other similar
racking system. Worked for me.

Chris J Dixon

David Longley wrote:

I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

Try IKEA. Doesn't seem to be in their on-line store, but STEN,
which I have used lots, seems to have been re-named GORM in the
2004 catalogue, just out (don't ask me why).

Basic unit is
4 shelves 770 mm x 310 mm with supports 1740 mm high for GBP15
extra shelves GBP3
or 770 mm x 510 mm for GBP25
extra shelves GBP5.
Extra supports GBP3 per pair.

Chris

--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Bill

In article , Mike
Faithfull writes
"David Longley" wrote in message
I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

Nearest scrap/reclamation yard & buy some used Dexion or other similar
racking system. Worked for me.

At our local auction in Bedford Dexion normally fetches on average
£20:00 per bay of about 5 shelves. Unlike a lot of racking from the
sheds this stuff is strong!
--
-- Bill
The Natural Philosopher

David Longley wrote:

I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

WWW.RAPID-RACKING.CO.UK

Go for galvanised.

Don't TOUCH the sheds on this one. These guys make senisbly priced stuff
that lasts. Used em for factory stores, and in my garage. The best IMHO.

Julian Fowler

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:11:06 +0100, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

David Longley wrote:

I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

Try IKEA. Doesn't seem to be in their on-line store, but STEN,
which I have used lots, seems to have been re-named GORM in the
2004 catalogue, just out (don't ask me why).

This stuff is excellent - we have 8 sets of this in our
garage/workshop, of varying heights, used to store everything from
paint and plant pots to the use-once-a-year suitcases. Probably
cheaper than buying the materials to make your own, go together in
next-to-no-time. They definitely need to be fixed to the wall for
security (I used 4x4 steel angle irons on mine.

Basic unit is
4 shelves 770 mm x 310 mm with supports 1740 mm high for GBP15
extra shelves GBP3
or 770 mm x 510 mm for GBP25
extra shelves GBP5.
Extra supports GBP3 per pair.

The fact that you can buy all the bits individually is nice - I made
up a small workbench using the 770 x 510 shelves as a top (with an
added layer of MDF) and lower shelf, short uprights at the front, tall
uprights at the back carrying one narrow shelf and a horizontal bar
with lots of clips for screwdrivers, etc. Took about an hour to put
together :-)

HTH
Julian

--
Julian Fowler

Chris

Look around for shops closing down or find somewhere that sells
(removed) second hand shop fittings.

The ones in my shop are very strong and sturdy I will be closing the
shop down at the end of october and will be using mine in my workshop
they are ideal for that type of use.

Depending on where you are there is a shopfitters in Acrington
(Lanc's) who always have always have second hand shelving.

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:31:13 +0100, David Longley
wrote:

I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which are at
present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking around at what's
available at B&Q it would cost something like 360 pounds if I used large
240 x 122cm chipboard (each cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6
sheets plus 3 brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per
shelf (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and paint
and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the shelves)

Plan is to have 2 x 3 on left wall, 2 x 3 on back wall and 2 x 3 on
right wall.

Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest a cheaper,
more effective solution?

The Natural Philosopher

N. Thornton wrote:

David Longley wrote:

I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods
which are at present in something of a heap in the garage.
[ 8 ]
Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest
a cheaper, more effective solution?

Hi

Dexion or similar is it. Avoid the lightweight metal shelving unless
you really know just how flimsy it is and have some eggs and feathers
to store on them. With all metal shelving _do_ add extra pieces across
back and both sides at circa 45 deg angle. Wobbly metal shelving is
unsafe.

The stiuff I recommeded - Rapid racking - has hammer fitted brackets and
substantial cross members and doesn't need this. Its also faster than
Dexion to assemble and disaasemble - a blow with a rubber mallet is all
it needs.

Until you have seen this stuff you don't realise how crap Ikea and the
sheds really are, and how old fashioned Dexion is.

Make-em-yourself wood shelves have one big advantage: you can make em
any size and any shape you like. Sometimes the clear winner. Downsides
are time to make, lower strength, rot prone.

Regards, NT

N. Thornton

geoff wrote in message ...
In message , N.
Thornton writes

Dexion or similar is it. Avoid the lightweight metal shelving unless
you really know just how flimsy it is and have some eggs and feathers
to store on them. With all metal shelving _do_ add extra pieces across
back and both sides at circa 45 deg angle. Wobbly metal shelving is
unsafe.

Dexion (RIP) used to sell brackets to prevent this

Hi. I asume you mean those little corner braces, 3" triangle things.
IME theyre totally inadequate. Proper bracing is the only method I've
found that works. Bracing makes the difference between a precarious
setup thats bound to come apart and something rock solid.

Regards, NT
Simon Avery

David Longley wrote:

Hello David

DL| I need to put up a lot of garage racking to hold goods which
DL| are at present in something of a heap in the garage. Looking
DL| around at what's available at B&Q it would cost something
DL| like 360 pounds if I used large 240 x 122cm chipboard (each
DL| cut into 3 shelves (or perhaps MDF)) x 6 sheets plus 3
DL| brackets per shelf (ie 54 brackets) and 3 uprights per shelf
DL| (18 uprights in all) that's easily 360 pounds excluding and
DL| paint and screws (I realise that I'd need to seal the
DL| shelves)

Seal? I didn't bother, and mine are Ok. As long as it's dry chipboard
is fine.

Have a look around in the sheds for the the 3/4" 4' chipboard sections
designed for lofts. I found out that in B&Q a few years ago these were
far cheaper than buying a 8x4 sheet and cutting it down, and they were
the perfect depth for garage shelving.

DL| Given that it doesn't have to be pretty, can anyone suggest
DL| a cheaper, more effective solution?

If you're not averse to tip scrounging, melamine wardrobes and
furniture is often chucked out there and a few minutes work with a
circular saw can give some goodish shelves.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

geoff

In message , N.
Thornton writes
geoff wrote in message
In message , N.
Thornton writes

Dexion or similar is it. Avoid the lightweight metal shelving unless
you really know just how flimsy it is and have some eggs and feathers
to store on them. With all metal shelving _do_ add extra pieces across
back and both sides at circa 45 deg angle. Wobbly metal shelving is
unsafe.

Dexion (RIP) used to sell brackets to prevent this

Hi. I asume you mean those little corner braces, 3" triangle things.
IME theyre totally inadequate. Proper bracing is the only method I've
found that works. Bracing makes the difference between a precarious
setup thats bound to come apart and something rock solid.

They work for me. I have several rows of free standing shelves - they
haven't come apart yet and they've been in constant use for 5 years
--
geoff

Andy Hall

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:13:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

David Longley wrote:

[...]

I just received their catalogue today. Clearly this is better than
shed junk.

They seem to do several different types of galvanised shelving.
Which one did you use?

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

David Longley wrote:

[...]

I am pretty sure it was waht is now called Rapid 2 Galvanised, with
chipboard shelves.

Still fine after 5 years.
The Rapid 1 stuff is stiffer along the beams and suitable for heavier
so I reckon its strong enough.

I see they also do a dexion style system with braces for those who must.

I've used their heavy duty stuff as well in company stores.

None of it has ever broken or bent. It is just utterly solid stuff that
seems to last forever.

Does what it says on the tin etc.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Desi Miller

The stiuff I recommeded - Rapid racking - has hammer fitted brackets and
substantial cross members and doesn't need this.

Do you know who actually manufactures the Rapid 2 product?
Desi Miller

Do you know who actually manufactures the Rapid 2 product?

I assumed they Rapid did.

Perhaps, but having noticed similar products elsewhere I had been
thinking that Rapid and others were perhaps retailing a common 3rd
party product.