Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default security sensor needed for garage door

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Randy quickly quoth:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

Excellent!

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

That could work, but it could be easily sidestepped by lifting your
legs over it.

I have these X-10 systems for my entryway:
http://www.x10.com/security/sc546a_s.html Scroll down to the set,
consisting of the chime, EagleEye IR detector, and RF transmitter.
$45 + s/h. (less on eBay)

And I saw this $20 special in the recent HF ad:

Put 2 strips of tape over the right and left edges of the IR detector
to limit it to a narrower area of detection. It will cover the full
height of the garage door automatically.

--
The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.
-- Edith Wharton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:19:00 GMT, _
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, Randy wrote:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Large dog.

which reminds me...Ill be having another group of pups available in
the next 4 months...seems I didnt catch mommy dog going into heat soon
enough to put her in the kennel.

Checked her this morning..fat and her titties are filling up...sigh

As folks here know..she makes great companion dogs. One travels with
me every day. several rcm members have pups from her and the daddy.

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ED ED is offline

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, Randy wrote:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

The video sounds interesting care to share some
details?

I have one of these: http://www.drivewayalert.com/

and one of these: :http://www.gtoinc.com/

and a couple of dogs in an electric fenced yard.
The fence doubles as a inductive loop security system.

The fence keeps the dogs in and unwanted visitors out

The owner is known to be armed.. ED

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 1:03*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

And I saw this $20 special in the recent HF ad:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93068

Put 2 strips of tape over the right and left edges of the IR detector
to limit it to a narrower area of detection. It will cover the full
height of the garage door automatically.

The rounded piece is an infrared motion detector, the larger part its
remote receiver & alarm. If you mount the detector behind the garage
door track it would mask the garage interior and only view the door
opening. They work pretty well, but the chime sound becomes annoying
quickly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:19:00 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, _
quickly quoth:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, Randy wrote:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Large dog.

....Who barks until your neighbors want to gut you, who ****s all over
the yard, who eats you out of house and home, and whose vet bills
-could- have put one of your kids through college. Yeah, great idea.

Oh, if he catches a kid, he'll also let you spend 3 other possible
college tuitions on an attorney, and that's before you lose the house
to the grieving perp.

Don't you love happy endings? Feh!

--
The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.
-- Edith Wharton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:55:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:19:00 GMT, _
wrote:

[...]

Not AGAIN!?! That's irresponsible, mon. 50 demerits.

--
The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.
-- Edith Wharton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

sigh..yes indeed. I didnt get home for 3 weeks..and the ex is a
ditz.

shrug

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" fired this volley in
:

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Since most are two-wire affairs, it might not be easy to interface to the
sensor circuit directly, but ...

Most of the garage door safety beams have an LED on the receiver that is
ON when the beam is on, and blinks when the beam is interrupted.

So -- just pick up the LED signal, and process that.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I have the exact same problem, being in downtown Nashville a few blocks from
the homeless mission. I call my alarm "bum alert". I have an infrared
beam with a NO output sending power to a VERY audible chime. The beams are
placed just inside the overhead door at 24" high. I have a bypass switch
so I can kill it while backing in a trailer or other such blockage. The
trick is placing the chime far enough away from the beams that the average
person can't tell where the trigger is.

Before I had mine installed, I would turn around and have a bum three feet
behind me wanting a handout. More than a few times. I have had people try
to jump it, but most of the time they trip it.

Here are the beams I use:
http://tinyurl.com/5rnnty

I had a set left over from a gate operator job. A security buddy flowed me
the chime and a power supply & I was set. Less hassle than a pooch.

Good luck.

John L. Weatherly

please remove XXXs to reply via email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 13:10:25 -0600, ED
wrote:

[...]

About 6 min long, 65 meg file. Don't know about the legal
ramifications of putting it on youtube. Guy goes form watching me to
checking out the pickup truck several times. I guess when he fiqures
I'm busy welding he comes in sees the laptop and takes off with it,
does spend enough time to take the power adaptor too.

Pawn shops I checked at said they would not even buy something that
old. I need old because I need a serial port.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:08:42 -0500, Randy wrote:

My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You,
Randy

I might try one of these..

http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/S...html#a80_2d013

or more likely 2 of them mount hi/lo to make it hard to duck under. I
can mount this inside hidden by the door track. Anything outside I
would not trust.

anyone hear of minute-man?

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 16, 1:55*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:19:00 GMT, _

wrote:
[...]

** * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal- Hide quoted text -

A responsible dog owner would have her fixed.

What is the holdup?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy wrote:
My shop has no windows so on nice days I like to keep the overhead
door open. Well some kid watched me welding for awhile then decided
it was safe - snuck in and stole my laptop computer that was connected
to my CNC mill.

Got him on video, filed a police report.

I need some kind of photocell and beam across the doorway to alert me
if anyone walks in. Can garage door safety beams be used? I have a
couple of friends that can wire up or build me a circuit to make them
work, I just don't know how the work, is there a NO or NC output on
those? I was told you cannot just jumper them out, so I'm thinking
it's more like a signal output rather than a switch closure output.

Thank You,
Randy

I know one place that uses an am or fm radio. When a person activates a trigger (Opens
the door and finds themselves inside a small cubicle) the radio blares out at about 120
db. - in the shop but well heard in the cubicle.

You can use many different triggers. The beam works fine but leaves a visible trail in
dusty or smoky conditions. You may want to install one to give them something to dance
around while they activate another one. :-)

A very simple motion sensor works well. You can rig a flood light sensor so that a bulb
comes on or you can screw in a plug and have it activate the above mentioned radio or
anything you can plug into that outlet. Sensor does not have to be mounted on the flood
bulb set.

Personally, I'd use a couple different switches so they never know what or which triggered
the notice or you may make them progressive. The first one could turn on a light or
sound a small chime in the location you expect to be in. This one could figuratively say,
"Someone just rounded the corner of the building." The next one could sound a different
alarm and let you know their progression. The time lapse in between the two would tell
you their approx. speed (sneaking, running, etc.) When they walk past a yellow lined
do-not-enter area (or whatever you choose) you could make it sound like all hell has
broken loose! This way they'd know that you knew! Bells, whistles, lights, the works! :-)

It can be as simple or complex as you wish to make it. First, You need to know. Second,
They need to know that you know. They could be casing the place for a return when you're
not around. You can get auto dialers to call you or anyone else if the place is entered
during certain periods of time. I know of one auto dialer that calls several different
numbers and announces that a high level alarm has been triggered or that there seems to
have been a bearing failure in a lift station - giving the identity of the station.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 16:17:12 -0400, Al Patrick wrote:

Randy wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/WIRELESS1000-Opt...QQcmdZViewItem

crom...but its not rocket science.

ebay search on "optex" or 'door annunciator'

If worst comes to worst, drop me an email and i can probably come up
with a set or two of paired photo beams used in industry from my stuff

Gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-06-17, Al Patrick wrote:

[ ... ]

You can use many different triggers. The beam works fine but leaves a visible trail in
dusty or smoky conditions. You may want to install one to give them something to dance
around while they activate another one. :-)

Note that you can get infrared LEDs and sensors, so nobody can
see it -- without optical enhancement like night vison scopes. :-)

And yes -- also put in a visible one to give them something to
try to work around. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564