Posted to alt.home.repair

Default reciprocating saw

Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 9:46*am, Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

Don't know what a milwalkee buzzsaw is.

You can get pruning hand saws.

Battery saws are not always the lightest because they have both
batteries and a motor. Many do compensate for this with a smaller
motor and ligher case. Personally I find the battery powered saws to
be too weak and the battery run down to quickly to be of any use for
extended work. I have one of the small battery circular saws and i's
handy when you just need to make a couple quick cuts. But if I have a
lot of cuts to make I get out the extension cord.

There are powered pruning saws. A "sawzall" with a wood blade would
also do the job. And there are very small chain saws that go on the
multi tool trimmer gas motors. I have one of those and I like it
because you can reach up high with it..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

Having had both, I recommend Fiskar compound pruners. Unless you are taking
down big limbs, then I would use a hand buck saw. The Fiskars have gears
that multiply your effort, making it easier. The buck saws cut great. Be
sure to cut the underside first on anything big so that it doesn't break off
a strip of bark when you cut the top, and it lets loose.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2010 9:46 AM, Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

I have a DeWalt battery recip saw. I
like it a lot. Because it is battery,
it's not the lightest weight unit. But,
I do use it with a long "wet wood"
pruning blade. My wife also uses it for
light pruning on our property. It's
much better balanced than the old unit I
had which was a no-name china built saw.
The blades change real easy without
using a wrench or Allen wrench. It's
also good for normal recip jobs. It
seems to have plenty of power. I also
have a small electric chain saw on a
stick for higher pruning. It was from
HD (I think) and works ok. The only
complaint might be that it is heavy out
at the end of the stick. I've used a
similar
gas unit (Stihl) with the engine at the
bottom. I didn't like it because there
wasn't enough weight at the top to push
through the branch and it didn't have
the reach that the electric one has.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

A reciprocating saw like a U.S. Marine. You use it when you have to destroy
something immediately. It WILL work in your application and a few others.

I suggest the Harbor Freight MultifunctionMiracleTool - either the corded or
wired model - which will do the job you have in mind and about 877 others.
This tool, however, probably won't work too well on branches over about 4"
in diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 8:46*am, Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

What I cant trim with a hedge trimmer I do by hand with long regular
or compound shears,a sawsall type will not have a solid surface , the
branch will shake and I dont think its right for the job of 1/2" - 1"
branches. I have gas, 120v ,18v hedge trimmers, sawsall, chainsaw and
pole chainsaw, and handtools, you might be in the middle size where a
chain saw is to big, I dont know how safe it would be, you would be
holding steady a small branch with one hand and have a sawsall in the
other ready to slip. I think B&D make a cheap power lopper. But a good
2ft compound lopper works great from 1/4" 1" thick wood of hardwood
shrubs, and no batteries to wear out, and faster than any sawsall.
There are alot of different, good handtools for the stuff a hedge
trimmer wont do
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/11/2010 9:46 AM, Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

My corded reciprocating saw is lousy for pruning.
Also poor for quartering a deer.
Get tool for intended use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

A reciprocating saw is fine for 1-3" stuff if you buy the pruning blades
(big teeth). I also use mine where I fear there is metal in the wood because
a $3 blade is much cheaper than a new chainsaw blade.

A battery one is usually a litter heavier than a corded one. If you have a
HarborFreight close I would look at one of there cheap models for such a
limited use. I am pretty sure they had a $20 one in the last ad I saw.

If your branches are bigger I would look at one of the electric chain saws.
I think I paid about $45.00 for one last year at Lowes.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 12:21*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

A reciprocating saw like a U.S. Marine. You use it when you have to destroy
something immediately. It WILL work in your application and a few others.

I suggest the Harbor Freight MultifunctionMiracleTool - either the corded or
wired model - which will do the job you have in mind and about 877 others..
This tool, however, probably won't work too well on branches over about 4"
in diameter.

"I suggest the Harbor Freight MultifunctionMiracleTool - either
the corded or wired model"

What's the difference between "corded" and "wired"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 8:46*am, Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

I do 90% of my pruning with a DeWalt 18v recip saw with a brush blade.
We have orchards and groves, and it is a constant chore. The other 10%
is split between hand snips, Chain saw and, a long reach pruner with a
blade like the recip but able to reach 10'. I'd use the pruner more,
but it is a gas engine and that involves more prep than grabbing a
recip and a fresh battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

A reciprocating saw like a U.S. Marine. You use it when you have to destroy
something immediately. It WILL work in your application and a few others.

I suggest the Harbor Freight MultifunctionMiracleTool - either the corded or
wired model - which will do the job you have in mind and about 877 others..
This tool, however, probably won't work too well on branches over about 4"
in diameter.

I heard of Harbor Freight but was told to stay away from them...their
products are so cheap and wonder why....anyway I don't want to buy one
for each season. In that case I might as well buy a more expensive
one. I want the tool to do all the work and save my arm and back
muscles that get saw after a long winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Shrug... Your loss.

At least 50 people on this newsgroup have bought the HF MultiFunction tool
and are tickled to death with it.

If you don't like anything you buy at HF, take it back. I doubt there is any
company with a more liberal returns policy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
"Anthona" wrote in message
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

A reciprocating saw is fine for 1-3" stuff if you buy the pruning blades
(big teeth). I also use mine where I fear there is metal in the wood because
a $3 blade is much cheaper than a new chainsaw blade.

A battery one is usually a litter heavier than a corded one. If you have a
HarborFreight close I would look at one of there cheap models for such a
limited use. I am pretty sure they had a $20 one in the last ad I saw.

If your branches are bigger I would look at one of the electric chain saws.
I think I paid about $45.00 for one last year at Lowes.

Bingo. I've been real happy with the 15-buck McCullough electric
chainsaw I bought at a garage sale (Older guy moved from a house to
condo where you aren't allowed to touch the common-area trees.)

It's just a baby with maybe a 16" bar, and would be useless for
production work. But for the occasional storm-dropped limb or
widow-maker over a walk, it works fine. And if I happen to screw up and
trash it, no big loss. It has more than paid for itself with the 2-3
times I have needed to use it. I have a couple bow saws, but never had
any luck with them cutting green wood. New blade, sharp enough to draw
blood, and well lubed, but still gets bound up as soon as the teeth get
buried. I have loppers, too, including a pole mounted one, but they top
out at thumb diameter. And the blade on the end of the pole lopper is
close to useless if pole is extended- like trying to cut a spring with
the end of another spring. At full reach, it is mainly only useful as a
hook. I'll probably take the blade off this year, to make it easier to
steer. It was only 30 bucks or so, but it still owes me money.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Well, can you tell me why their products are so cheap? Are they
refurbished? Any how i just read their ad in my latest Reader's Digest
and there are none close to me, so the coupons that are offered in the
RD ad, are only for in store purchases to get some of those low prices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:35:07 -0800 (PST), Anthona wrote:

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Chinese imports. You really don't know who is making what and they do sell a
lot of junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 3/11/2010 9:46 AM, Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

My corded reciprocating saw is lousy for pruning.
Also poor for quartering a deer.
Get tool for intended use.

You need to only kill deer is subzero weather. After gutting, leave it
hanging on the pole overnight. The reciprocating saw will work fine for
quartering then. My father lives alone, but likes to cook turkey several
times a year. The grocery stores around there sell the 22 pound ones for
the same price out the door as the 10 pounders. He has a sawzall.....
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anthona wrote:
[...]

So what's the opposite of junk? Their MultiFunction tool is $40. The Fein
equivalent is $400. HF sells a dozen 1" foam brushes for 98¢ - Home Depot
sells them for $1.98 each. HF sells functional handcuffs for $4.95, Smith &
Wesson offers theirs for $39.95.

My last trip to HF, I bought an assortment of 20 hose clamps for $3.95.
They're $1.95 EACH at the auto store.

I guess the opposite of "cheap" is "overpriced."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:

Well, can you tell me why their products are so cheap? Are they
refurbished? Any how i just read their ad in my latest Reader's Digest
and there are none close to me, so the coupons that are offered in the
RD ad, are only for in store purchases to get some of those low
prices.

There's a store right down the street from you in Madison.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anthona wrote:
[...]

In the cases of hose clamps and handcuffs, quality is more important
than price. They downside of the item failing far outweighs any savings.
I've never seen handcuffs at my local HF, BTW. Or were you just tugging
our chain?

Ya gotta walk into HF with your eyes open- some stuff is a great deal
(like the same-as-Sears air compressors for half the price), and some is
crap (like most of the precision hand tools.) But plenty of the stuff is
'good enough', at a very good price. And I love the free flashlights.
I'd feel guilty not buying anything, so I am spreading out my buys of
shelf stock consumables to make it look not TOO obvious why I am really
there. (HF is half a block off my usual Saturday errand route...)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

Hi,
For that Swedish hand saw works pretty well.
Batery won't last much for the task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 22:09:17 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:

Anthona wrote:
[...]

How about electrical supplies? I've heard loads of stories about fake UL
labels. HF GFCIs, anyone?

Ya gotta walk into HF with your eyes open- some stuff is a great deal
(like the same-as-Sears air compressors for half the price), and some is
crap (like most of the precision hand tools.) But plenty of the stuff is
'good enough', at a very good price. And I love the free flashlights.
I'd feel guilty not buying anything, so I am spreading out my buys of
shelf stock consumables to make it look not TOO obvious why I am really
there. (HF is half a block off my usual Saturday errand route...)

Agreed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anthona wrote:
[...]

Some stuff is acceptable. Certainly not the best tools, but acceptable. Most
is junk.

Their MultiFunction tool is $40.

Isn't that the sale price?

The Fein equivalent is $400.

....and the Dremel is $100. Point?

HF sells a dozen 1" foam brushes for 98¢ - Home Depot
sells them for $1.98 each.

That's a large exaggeration. I buy them at Lowes for $.39. 4" foam brushes
for $.79. They're still a good deal, though they're about the same price, on
sale, in places like WoodCraft and better quality. HF is a great place to buy
nitrile gloves, too. I wouldn't buy them for my doctor, but...

HF sells functional handcuffs for $4.95, Smith &
Wesson offers theirs for $39.95.

Cheap date tonight?

My last trip to HF, I bought an assortment of 20 hose clamps for $3.95.
They're $1.95 EACH at the auto store.

My bet is that you'll easily notice a quality difference.

I guess the opposite of "cheap" is "overpriced."

I bought a bunch of HF bar clamps; garbage. After breaking the third one,
with the glue clock ticking, I decided to replace them with Besseys. Junk.
OTOH, I have an HF 10" SCMS that is serviceable, for construction. It won't
make it for woodworking and I'll most likely replace it with a Bosch, but it
does what I bought it for.

The bottom line is that Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk, but as you point
out with the multi-tool, there are a few decent buys in there, too. You
really have to know what you're buying or you *will* end up with a lot of
junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:46:42 -0800 (PST), Anthona
wrote:

Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

I think a buzzsaw is a small circular saw, but I haven't looked it up,
and I don't know much about milwaukee.

It would be nice, almost essential, if you told us how high the shrubs
are, how thick the branches are, how big everything will be in a few
years, in 30 years, etc.

I think people are writing about what works for their yards and not
about what works for yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

And how many shrubs you have, whether they are woody or something
else.

And how big your yard is. I have one 100 foot extension cord that
reaches everywhere and if I had to go farther, I could plug in another
one, and definitely, when you don't have to carry the electricity
around with you, tools that plug into the wall are lighter than
battery operated tools of the same power. Batteries are some of the
most dense parts (weight per volume) of any device.

wrote:

Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

I think a buzzsaw is a small circular saw, but I haven't looked it up,
and I don't know much about milwaukee.

It would be nice, almost essential, if you told us how high the shrubs
are, how thick the branches are, how big everything will be in a few
years, in 30 years, etc.

I think people are writing about what works for their yards and not
about what works for yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:46:42 -0800 (PST), Anthona
wrote:

-snip-
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

I think a buzzsaw is a small circular saw, but I haven't looked it up,
and I don't know much about milwaukee.

Circular, yes-- I don't think small, though. This is what I call a
buzzsaw-
http://www.smokstak.com/gallery/file...keLanceine.jpg

In context from
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41764

I'd say it was regional thing- but this guy is in Montana- and I've
lived in NY most of the past 60 years.

-snip-
I think people are writing about what works for their yards and not
about what works for yours.

In my yard- a combination of a good set of pruners, a hand saw, an
electric chainsaw- another one on a stick, and a Reciprocating saw
with an 'axe' blade.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

So what's the opposite of junk? Their MultiFunction tool is $40. The
Fein equivalent is $400. HF sells a dozen 1" foam brushes for 98¢ -
Home Depot sells them for $1.98 each. HF sells functional handcuffs
for $4.95, Smith & Wesson offers theirs for $39.95.

My last trip to HF, I bought an assortment of 20 hose clamps for
$3.95. They're $1.95 EACH at the auto store.

I guess the opposite of "cheap" is "overpriced."

In the cases of hose clamps and handcuffs, quality is more important
than price. They downside of the item failing far outweighs any
savings. I've never seen handcuffs at my local HF, BTW. Or were you
just tugging our chain?

The quality is virtually irrelevant on hose clamps and handcuffs (and
totally off the list for sponge brushes!). I WAS mistaken on the hose clamp
business: the set contains 40 clamps, not twenty. As an ex-cop, I can also
tell you quality is unimportant in handcuffs. Heck, for rounding up herds of
squints, we used cable staps! My HF does have handcuffs. It also has
sextants. That may be because we have more goblins than you and sometimes
have trouble finding our way.

Ya gotta walk into HF with your eyes open- some stuff is a great deal
(like the same-as-Sears air compressors for half the price), and some
is crap (like most of the precision hand tools.) But plenty of the
stuff is 'good enough', at a very good price. And I love the free
flashlights. I'd feel guilty not buying anything, so I am spreading
out my buys of shelf stock consumables to make it look not TOO
obvious why I am really there. (HF is half a block off my usual
Saturday errand route...)

Right. For the life of me, I can't see what could possible go wrong with a
4x12' canvas painting dropcloth for (regular price) $10. It sure can't trip
a circuit breaker, leak, slip on a nut, or have a short battery life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

HeyBub wrote:

-snip-
So what's the opposite of junk? Their MultiFunction tool is $40. The Fein
equivalent is $400. HF sells a dozen 1" foam brushes for 98¢ - Home Depot
sells them for $1.98 each. HF sells functional handcuffs for $4.95, Smith &
Wesson offers theirs for $39.95.

My last trip to HF, I bought an assortment of 20 hose clamps for $3.95.
They're $1.95 EACH at the auto store.

I guess the opposite of "cheap" is "overpriced."

In the cases of hose clamps and handcuffs, quality is more important
than price. They downside of the item failing far outweighs any savings.

Like everything at HF- you have to anticipate what it will be used
for. I wouldn't try to keep Hannibal Lector at bay with HF
handcuffs-- but they'd be fine for keeping the little woman in a
friendly position-- as long as she was willing.

I use their rubber & leather gloves, cutoff wheels for angle grinders,
disposable $10 angle grinders for high grit jobs & a bunch of other
stuff. [including a $40 multi-function tool]

I've never seen handcuffs at my local HF, BTW. Or were you just tugging
our chain?

I thought I'd seen them at mine-- but they don't come up on a search
of the HF-- so maybe he was funnin' us. [or maybe it was a temporary
thing]

Ya gotta walk into HF with your eyes open- some stuff is a great deal
(like the same-as-Sears air compressors for half the price), and some is
crap (like most of the precision hand tools.)

-snip-
Ditto-

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
[...]

RD ad, are only for in store purchases to get some of those low prices.- Hide quoted text -

Log into their website and sign up for e-mail ads.

I believe that you can choose to only get coupons for "web specials".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 8:06*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

a circuit breaker, leak, slip on a nut, or have a short battery life.- Hide quoted text -

As far as clamps go (of which you can never have enough) I just picked
up 4 of the 12" bar clamps for 1.99 each, and I'll be going back for
at least 4 more.

Are they anywhere as good as my Jorgensen bar clamps? No way!

Will they hold 2 pieces of wood together while the glue dries?
Absolutely.

I'll use the Jorgensens when real clamping pressure is required, but
the HF cheapos will serve their purpose also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:35:38 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Mar 12, 8:06*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I've had a bunch of the longer ones break on me.

I'll use the Jorgensens when real clamping pressure is required, but
the HF cheapos will serve their purpose also.

The rest of them might, but I won't trust them anymore without backup at the
ready.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

I think a buzzsaw is a small circular saw, but I haven't looked it up,
and I don't know much about milwaukee.

It would be nice, almost essential, if you told us how high the shrubs
are, how thick the branches are, how big everything will be in a few
years, in 30 years, etc.

I think people are writing about what works for their yards and not
about what works for yours.

I have a 15' crape myrtle and don't want to half it, just thin it out
and some of the branches are almost 1/2'' to 3/4'' thick. and also a
forsythia and the burning bush. and a dogwood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 11, 10:30*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Anthona" wrote in message

Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see it
can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means most
likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there are pruners
for this, but the branches are much thicker than a typical pruner can
do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.

Having had both, I recommend Fiskar compound pruners. *Unless you are taking
down big limbs, then I would use a hand buck saw. *The Fiskars have gears
that multiply your effort, making it easier. *The buck saws cut great. *Be
sure to cut the underside first on anything big so that it doesn't break off
a strip of bark when you cut the top, and it lets loose.

Steve

I am an 81 year old man and still handy enough to do chores, but i am
looking for a product that does the work for me and not the other way
around...the last time I used clippers on my aborvitae, i was sore
for days...so i was looking for a power tool, just put it on the
branch and let it do its thing. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:

-snip-
I am an 81 year old man and still handy enough to do chores, but i am
looking for a product that does the work for me and not the other way
around...the last time I used clippers on my aborvitae, i was sore
for days...so i was looking for a power tool, just put it on the
branch and let it do its thing. LOL

Problem with a power tool in shaky hands is they can do more damage
than good in the blink of an eye.

For branches under 2 inches I'd be trying out some ratchet loppers.
They don't need batteries or cords- they can get into places that
power saws can't [easily]- and they aren't likely to takeoff the wrong
branch [or body part].

If you can't handle them- maybe it is time to have someone else do
that work for you. Do what you can without endangering yourself.

I know that's a hard choice because just last week I spent a lot of
time trying to convince my 85yr old dad that *I* would put on the
snow-shoes and rake the 3 feet of snow off the roof-- while *he*, with
his relatively new artificial hip could spend the time behind his
snowblower on more-or-less firm ground.

He *had* to try the snowshoes on and take a few step before he saw the
wisdom in my way. No sense in hurting yourself when time is so
precious.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just my 2 cents, for small jobs, the hand "bow" saw works great. For
more massive projects, the small electric chain saws are useful, and
for really light stuff, the "lopping" shears work well for branches
less than 1/2" in diameter. Also a good pair of leather work gloves to
save your hands, and a set of goggles for your eyesight if you use the
chain saw. I would stay away from battery saws, as they just don't
have enough power for big jobs. It has been rare that I haven't been
able to run a good extension cord to run the electric chain saw on a
modest sized property.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Anthona wrote:

-snip-
[...]

BTDT. The role reversal is a hard thing for both sides to handle. I
still help my 83 YO father with projects when I am down there visiting.
He is down to one useful eye, also has a redone hip, and can barely walk
at this point due to a botched 'routine' spinal surgery. But he still
gets out in his shop every chance he can. He saves the big stuff for
when I am there, but I have to keep a close eye on when he starts
getting shaky, and find some excuse to call for a break. After being the
Old Man to all us kids for sixty years, he is finding it very hard to
dial back.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
[...]

Ditto on the above only my battery sawzall is a Roybi...Even the wife uses
it for pruning...I have the Black &Decker electric chainsaw on a stick for
the high stuff and Echo gas chainsaw for clearing brush and small
trees..Works good...HTH...

Reciprocating saw performance Michael Koblic Metalworking 12 November 29th 09 07:02 AM
reciprocating hacksaws Fred UK diy 22 May 28th 09 06:59 PM
Reciprocating Saw davex1001 Home Repair 18 June 14th 06 09:57 PM
Reciprocating lathe JRJohnson Metalworking 5 October 6th 05 11:48 AM
PC Reciprocating Saw Jerry Woodworking 2 July 30th 03 10:31 PM