Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default reciprocating saw

HeyBub wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:35:07 -0800 (PST), Anthona
wrote:

On Mar 11, 4:08 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anthona wrote:
On Mar 11, 12:21 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Anthona wrote:
Know nothing about this tool but like to get one from what i see
it can do. I would like to get the lightest weight ( which means
most likely a battery one ) and prune some shrubs. I know there
are pruners for this, but the branches are much thicker than a
typical pruner can do. Someone mentioned a Milwalkee buzzsaw.
A reciprocating saw like a U.S. Marine. You use it when you have
to destroy something immediately. It WILL work in your
application and a few others.
I suggest the Harbor Freight MultifunctionMiracleTool - either the
corded or wired model - which will do the job you have in mind and
about 877 others. This tool, however, probably won't work too well
on branches over about 4" in diameter.
I heard of Harbor Freight but was told to stay away from
them...their products are so cheap and wonder why....anyway I
don't want to buy one for each season. In that case I might as
well buy a more expensive one. I want the tool to do all the work
and save my arm and back muscles that get saw after a long winter.
Shrug... Your loss.

At least 50 people on this newsgroup have bought the HF
MultiFunction tool and are tickled to death with it.

If you don't like anything you buy at HF, take it back. I doubt
there is any company with a more liberal returns policy.
Well, can you tell me why their products are so cheap? Are they
refurbished? Any how i just read their ad in my latest Reader's
Digest and there are none close to me, so the coupons that are
offered in the RD ad, are only for in store purchases to get some of
those low prices.

Chinese imports. You really don't know who is making what and they
do sell a lot of junk.

So what's the opposite of junk? Their MultiFunction tool is $40. The Fein
equivalent is $400. HF sells a dozen 1" foam brushes for 98¢ - Home Depot
sells them for $1.98 each. HF sells functional handcuffs for $4.95, Smith &
Wesson offers theirs for $39.95.

My last trip to HF, I bought an assortment of 20 hose clamps for $3.95.
They're $1.95 EACH at the auto store.

I guess the opposite of "cheap" is "overpriced."

In the cases of hose clamps and handcuffs, quality is more important
than price. They downside of the item failing far outweighs any savings.
I've never seen handcuffs at my local HF, BTW. Or were you just tugging
our chain?

Ya gotta walk into HF with your eyes open- some stuff is a great deal
(like the same-as-Sears air compressors for half the price), and some is
crap (like most of the precision hand tools.) But plenty of the stuff is
'good enough', at a very good price. And I love the free flashlights.
I'd feel guilty not buying anything, so I am spreading out my buys of
shelf stock consumables to make it look not TOO obvious why I am really
there. (HF is half a block off my usual Saturday errand route...)

--
aem sends...