Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default reciprocating saw

On Mar 12, 8:06*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

So what's the opposite of junk? Their MultiFunction tool is $40. The
Fein equivalent is $400. HF sells a dozen 1" foam brushes for 98¢ -
Home Depot sells them for $1.98 each. HF sells functional handcuffs
for $4.95, Smith & Wesson offers theirs for $39.95.

My last trip to HF, I bought an assortment of 20 hose clamps for
$3.95. They're $1.95 EACH at the auto store.

I guess the opposite of "cheap" is "overpriced."

In the cases of hose clamps and handcuffs, quality is more important
than price. They downside of the item failing far outweighs any
savings. I've never seen handcuffs at my local HF, BTW. Or were you
just tugging our chain?

The quality is virtually irrelevant on hose clamps and handcuffs (and
totally off the list for sponge brushes!). I WAS mistaken on the hose clamp
business: the set contains 40 clamps, not twenty. As an ex-cop, I can also
tell you quality is unimportant in handcuffs. Heck, for rounding up herds of
squints, we used cable staps! My HF does have handcuffs. It also has
sextants. That may be because we have more goblins than you and sometimes
have trouble finding our way.

Ya gotta walk into HF with your eyes open- some stuff is a great deal
(like the same-as-Sears air compressors for half the price), and some
is crap (like most of the precision hand tools.) But plenty of the
stuff is 'good enough', at a very good price. And I love the free
flashlights. I'd feel guilty not buying anything, so I am spreading
out my buys of shelf stock consumables to make it look not TOO
obvious why I am really there. (HF is half a block off my usual
Saturday errand route...)

Right. For the life of me, I can't see what could possible go wrong with a
4x12' canvas painting dropcloth for (regular price) $10. It sure can't trip
a circuit breaker, leak, slip on a nut, or have a short battery life.- Hide quoted text -

As far as clamps go (of which you can never have enough) I just picked
up 4 of the 12" bar clamps for 1.99 each, and I'll be going back for
at least 4 more.

Are they anywhere as good as my Jorgensen bar clamps? No way!

Will they hold 2 pieces of wood together while the glue dries?
Absolutely.

I'll use the Jorgensens when real clamping pressure is required, but
the HF cheapos will serve their purpose also.