Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home gadgets that cause interference with other domestic gear. Bah....

For example a family member installed a legally sold 'electronic
thermostat' to better control the heat in their bedroom. It did a good
job of that. But ...........

Unfortunately it emitted RFI (Radio frequency interference) that
interfered with the bedside radio in another room; even when it was
tuned to a local radio station!

We have since removed it and relegated that thermostat to another
person's garage where it does not (so far) cause interference! But one
does wish the regulatory authorities such at he FCC in the USA and the
Canadian Dept. of Transport etc. would not permit the sale of these
interfering devices which include certain light dimmers etc.

It appears that just because something is UL (Underwriters Labs.) or
CSA (Can. Standards Assoc.) approved and is therefore 'safe' it may
not be free from causing interference! Also some incompatibilities
occur. Yesterday visited the lamp/light fixture show room of an
elecrical supplier and during discussion the topic of NOT using
dimmers with CFLs came up. Apparently some of their customers are
still not aware of that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 10:26*am, terry wrote:
[...]

You have to use a cfl that is specifically rated for use on a dimmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 1:49*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
You have to use a cfl that is specifically rated for use on a dimmer.- Hide quoted text -

..
Exactly; and the show room staff mentioned that those dimmable CFLs
are very expensive!

LEDs 'may' be the way to go. But since we are electrically heated and
most months of the year, here, require some warmth, especially at
night, so incandescent bulbs work fine for the present anyway.

In fact we have a bathroom, with six 40 watt incandescents (240 watts)
above the vanity that are only on occasionally (when room is occupied)
and the electric baseboard heater only comes on in coldest weather. It
appears that we replace a only a couple of 25 cents incandescent bulbs
in that bathroom per year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
For example a family member installed a legally sold 'electronic
thermostat' to better control the heat in their bedroom. It did a good
job of that. But ...........

Unfortunately it emitted RFI (Radio frequency interference) that
interfered with the bedside radio in another room; even when it was
tuned to a local radio station!

We have since removed it and relegated that thermostat to another
person's garage where it does not (so far) cause interference! But one
does wish the regulatory authorities such at he FCC in the USA and the
Canadian Dept. of Transport etc. would not permit the sale of these
interfering devices which include certain light dimmers etc.

The FCC DOES regulate such devices. All electronic devices are required, by
law, to not interfere with electronic communication. The fault, however, may
lie with your bedside radio in that it does not conform to universally
accepted filtering circuitry. If the thermostat was made by, say, Honeywell
and the radio was made by, say, Hung-Lo industries, I'd say junk the radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Feb 12, 11:49*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Feb 12, 10:26*am, terry wrote:

[...]

I've returned a lot of those; I can't tell the difference between them
and a regular CFL (e.g. none of them really work as advertised.)

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

I forget the exact wording but most electronic devices say something like:

"This equipment passes all FCC requirements. Any interference it may
cause is up to the end user to rectify."

Many moons ago we had a few video poker machines in a firehouse
bar/club. The one would completely black out the police radios as they
drove past, and this was about 150 feet away! Only one machine did it.
I tried all kinds of shielding and grounding in the cabinet but
nothing helped. We swapped the machine with another and the problem was
gone. I never heard of it causing any problems at it's new location.
And there was a Space Invaders game that messed up the TV reception, it
only did it there. Not sure if we tried a different machine or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:26*am, terry wrote:
[...]

I've got on of those EdenPure electric heaters with a remote control.
When I am using the remote for my DVD player, it turns the heater on
and off and even will switch it from High to variable.

David
Posted to alt.home.repair

Two mo

Cordless telephone interfering with Wi-Fi connection when in close
proximity to computer. It will swamp the desired signal.

Cell phone to close to bluetooth mouse. It will also swamp the desired
signal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:08:05 -0500, Tony
wrote:

I forget the exact wording but most electronic devices say something like:

"This equipment passes all FCC requirements. Any interference it may
cause is up to the end user to rectify."

In an office once there was a Motorola walk-talkie radio and charger
that sat right next to an old x86 computer. Seems that was killing the
hard drive of the PC?? Never really found out for certain, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
terry wrote:
For example a family member installed a legally sold 'electronic
thermostat' to better control the heat in their bedroom. It did a good
job of that. But ...........

The FCC DOES regulate such devices. All electronic devices are required,
by law, to not interfere with electronic communication. The fault,
however, may lie with your bedside radio in that it does not conform to
universally accepted filtering circuitry. If the thermostat was made by,
say, Honeywell and the radio was made by, say, Hung-Lo industries, I'd say
junk the radio.

It is more likely the radio is ok and the Thermostat is generating the
interference. Probably any radio in the same location would pick up what is
being generated by the thermostat. There should not be anything in the
thermostat to generate a signal strong enough to cause problems with any
receiver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Two mo

Cordless telephone interfering with Wi-Fi connection when in close
proximity to computer. It will swamp the desired signal.

Cell phone to close to bluetooth mouse. It will also swamp the desired
signal.

Many low powered devices operate on the same frequencies. They operate
under what is often called Part 15 of the FCC rules. If you look at the
fine print on them, you will see something like they must accept
interference from other services, but can not cause problems.

That means all the Part 15 devices such as the cordless telephone and Wi-Fi
can interfere with each other and that is ok. They just can not interfere
with any licensed devices and must accept interference from them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Sam is offline

"N8N" wrote in message

It appears that just because something is UL (Underwriters Labs.) or
CSA (Can. Standards Assoc.) approved and is therefore 'safe' it may
not be free from causing interference! Also some incompatibilities
occur. Yesterday visited the lamp/light fixture show room of an
elecrical supplier and during discussion the topic of NOT using
dimmers with CFLs came up. Apparently some of their customers are
still not aware of that!

You have to use a cfl that is specifically rated for use on a dimmer.

I've returned a lot of those; I can't tell the difference between them
and a regular CFL (e.g. none of them really work as advertised.)

nate

I bought two dimmer friendly CFL lights from H.D. They work as advertised.
They have larger bases from the regular Cfls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I forget the exact wording but most electronic devices say something like:

"This equipment passes all FCC requirements. Any interference it may
cause is up to the end user to rectify."

In an office once there was a Motorola walk-talkie radio and charger
that sat right next to an old x86 computer. Seems that was killing the
hard drive of the PC?? Never really found out for certain, though.

Hi,
Once I had to work on a problem caused by air port radar.
Nearby large commercial computer system installation was going crazy
at certain interval that was when the rotating radar antenna was pointed
at the site.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

I forget the exact wording but most electronic devices say something
like:

"This equipment passes all FCC requirements. Any interference it may
cause is up to the end user to rectify."

In an office once there was a Motorola walk-talkie radio and charger
that sat right next to an old x86 computer. Seems that was killing the
hard drive of the PC?? Never really found out for certain, though.

Hi,
Once I had to work on a problem caused by air port radar.
Nearby large commercial computer system installation was going crazy
at certain interval that was when the rotating radar antenna was pointed
at the site.

I had a 92' Plymouth mini-van and read reports of that years crop of
Chrysler engines has a bad habit of stalling if they drove close to some
airports at the time the radar beam was pointed in their direction.
Apparently the radar beam would shut down the electronic ignition.

We are currently experiencing a problem with a Sony cordless phone (Sony no
longer makes cordless phones). This phone will shut down our in-house WIFI
network whenever one of the phones is in use. We are looking for a suitable
replacement that does not confect with our Nortel wired phones the way a
Siemens cordless phone did. We returned it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Likewise when they first used ABS on cars. The system used to go crazy
if they drive it thru a long steel bridge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 7:13*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

terry wrote:
[...]

Interference did not start until the thermostat was installed.

The interference was definitely being generated by the 'electronic'
thermostat as it chopped the waveform and cut in and out on a regular
basis. The second replacement thermostat does not cause interference.
And yes another battery operated radio does also pick it up.

In regard to other matters of interference it can be deficiency in the
gear itself (early TV sets were notoriously unable to reject some
signals that today would be considered quite normal). Also can be a
matter of being in such close proximity to a powerful transmitter
(including a 1000 watt microwave oven!) that the signal just 'swamps'
or 'blocks' by overloading input of the other device.
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
(snip)

In regard to other matters of interference it can be deficiency in the
gear itself (early TV sets were notoriously unable to reject some
signals that today would be considered quite normal). Also can be a
matter of being in such close proximity to a powerful transmitter
(including a 1000 watt microwave oven!) that the signal just 'swamps'
or 'blocks' by overloading input of the other device.

Often, the interference is coming across the power line as much as
through the air. At night, going to sleep, I like to listen to far-away
radio stations on an itty-bitty multiband radio powered by a wall wart.
(my version of cheap travel.) One of my neighbors on same transformer
can has something that once in a while, puts out so much static, that I
can't get squat on any station. Same problem on multiple wall warts and
multiple radios ( I have several). I know it isn't my house, because I
have tried turning everything I have off, and unplugging wall wart makes
most of the static go away. The closer I hold the plug to the radio, the
louder it gets. I've looked out the windows- it isn't anything obvious
like a yard light. I think it is a bathroom/kitchen appliance of some
sort, because it often starts up again at around 0600 or shortly before,
and wakes me up.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:18:49 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Two mo

Cordless telephone interfering with Wi-Fi connection when in close
proximity to computer. It will swamp the desired signal.

Cell phone to close to bluetooth mouse. It will also swamp the desired
signal.

Many low powered devices operate on the same frequencies. They operate
under what is often called Part 15 of the FCC rules. If you look at the
fine print on them, you will see something like they must accept
interference from other services, but can not cause problems.

That means all the Part 15 devices such as the cordless telephone and Wi-Fi
can interfere with each other and that is ok. They just can not interfere
with any licensed devices and must accept interference from them.

They don't have to be the same frequency to swamp the front end of a
receiver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
terry typed:
[...]

UL, CSA and all the rest are ONLY concerned with safety, not interference.
So they have nothing to do with anything.

The FCC does however, and if the thermostat met FCC Part 15 or the Canadian
or EU equivalent, then its radiation is tested and rated; right on the
product. No notice of Part 15, it's an illegal product for NA sales.
In addition to that, if you do have interference issues and passed Part
15, not only does the device's paperwork tell you how to control it, but
gives you contact information in the event you have trouble with radiation
through the air, power wires or peripheral connections. So I'd say RTFM is
still something you have on your to-do list, except rather than try to
slightly move the item etc., you gave it away.
So often we create our own liver-quivers because emotion takes over
instead of logical common sense.

HTH,

Twayne

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
terry typed:

.
Exactly; and the show room staff mentioned that those dimmable CFLs
are very expensive!

LEDs 'may' be the way to go. But since we are electrically heated and
most months of the year, here, require some warmth, especially at
night, so incandescent bulbs work fine for the present anyway.

In fact we have a bathroom, with six 40 watt incandescents (240 watts)
above the vanity that are only on occasionally (when room is occupied)
and the electric baseboard heater only comes on in coldest weather. It
appears that we replace a only a couple of 25 cents incandescent bulbs
in that bathroom per year.

And; those bulbs rated for use with a dimmer also require a dimmer that can
manage flourescants.
Basically, flourescents have two states: Off and On. Nothing in between that
reults in usable lighting.

Newsgroups are great places to get assistance.
But always verify important information with
other sources to be certain you have a clear
understanding of it and that it is accurate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
Two mo
Cordless telephone interfering with Wi-Fi connection when in close
proximity to computer. It will swamp the desired signal.

Cell phone to close to bluetooth mouse. It will also swamp the desired
signal.

Pretty much any cell phone and any computer that I've used - if my
cell phone is about to ring, I'll hear a "sputtering" through my
computer speakers. Even laptops with built in speakers.

nate

Chuckle. People in my office always bitch when I key up my ancient
Motorola ht1000 at my desk. Makes a nice loud hum in their speakers.
Back when they still let me touch hardware, I was once tearing my hair
out on a monitor service call- funny colors, wavy lines, etc.
Replacement monitor did the same thing. I was about to swap out the CPU
(integrated video on those early machines), when my 2 active brain cells
kicked in, and I noticed the electric stapler tucked up against the
monitor. Those are a first cousins to doorbell dinger- bigass coil and
magnetic rod inside them. Moved it two feet away, and the problem vanished.

--
aem sends...

A few homes ago my monitor was back to back with the microwave (with a
wall in between). Every time the microwave operated it looked like I
was degaussing the monitor. Sometimes I'd have to tell my daughter to
turn off the microwave until I finished what I was doing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote:
A few homes ago my monitor was back to back with the microwave (with a
wall in between). Every time the microwave operated it looked like I was
degaussing the monitor. Sometimes I'd have to tell my daughter to turn
off the microwave until I finished what I was doing.

You probably were. When the transformer was active it was generating a
magnetic field just as a degausing coil would. I have never tried it,but a
LCD type of display probably would not have been effected by the microwave.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote:
A few homes ago my monitor was back to back with the microwave (with a
wall in between). Every time the microwave operated it looked like I was
degaussing the monitor. Sometimes I'd have to tell my daughter to turn
off the microwave until I finished what I was doing.

You probably were. When the transformer was active it was generating a
magnetic field just as a degausing coil would. I have never tried it,but a
LCD type of display probably would not have been effected by the microwave.

I didn't think of that. No magnetic fields to worry about! No purity
to adjust!! No convergence!!! No dynamic convergence!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:26*am, terry wrote:
[...]

Started having trouble with the home WiFi system. Worked on it for a
month until I found my wife and place a 2.4Ghz cordless phone base
near the wireless router. I hadnt seen it because it was carefully
hidden behind some books.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/10 10:32 pm, JIMMIE wrote:

Started having trouble with the home WiFi system. Worked on it for a
month until I found my wife and place a 2.4Ghz cordless phone base
near the wireless router. I hadnt seen it because it was carefully
hidden behind some books.

If you want to use WiFi (2.4GHz), consider a DECT 6.0 phone system (1.9GHz).

Perce

Six wooden gadgets that actually work HeyBub[_3_] Woodworking 0 April 26th 09 07:23 PM
Interference from Home Docked Satellite Radio JayD Electronics Repair 1 April 26th 07 09:32 PM
DIY Gadgets Graham Saunders UK diy 100 November 18th 06 01:40 PM
Gear hobber gear train set-up Mark Maglana Metalworking 7 August 26th 05 02:01 AM
Gadgets and gimics Gunner Metalworking 9 September 5th 03 05:36 PM