Gunner

Default Gadgets and gimics

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:58:03 +0100, "Michael Haseler"
(remove 8SPAM) wrote:

I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Mike Haseler

Oh no! Not that question!!
Anyone want to start a pool as to how long this thread will go on for?

Gunner
whom will put in his $.03USD soon as the fun starts

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Stu Fields

Basically, forget the price of the lathe, mill and drill press. They should
be given to you as incentive to buy all of the "accessories" that you need.
I recently bought a used 16X40 Victor lathe. By the time that I got a
collet closer, tool post system, and a DRO, I had just about equaled what I
paid for the lathe. Similar fun with a Bridgeport mill. I thought that the
acquistion of the two tools would be the major outlay....Hell it's still
going on. BTW the cost of the accessories goes up as the tenth power of the
machine size...On the other hand, I'm tickled to death every time I have a
project that needs one of these tools and I turn around and see the
machines with accessories just setting there waiting for me.
Stu Fields
"Michael Haseler" (remove 8SPAM) wrote in
message ...
I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but

what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Mike Haseler

Jim Stewart

Michael Haseler wrote:
I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Here's a list of what I consider the bare essentials.
Note that there is no DRO's, no expensive hand measurement
or layout tools, just the bare minimum that your grandpa
had to work with.

Sharpening and finishing
Grinder with 1 fine and 1 medium Norton silicon carbide wheel
Truing tool for grinder
Medium size hand carborundum stone
Pocket Arkansas stone
Pocket diamond stone
220 grit silicon carbide sandpaper
Scotchbrite pads
60 degree thread tool sharpening gauge

Drilling
Good quality number drill set
Good quality fractional "bullet" drill set
A couple large morse taper drills to fit lathe tailstock for roughing
out holes for boring
Good quality countersink tool, 82 degrees

Threading
US made plug taps, 4-40 to 1/4-20 and holder
Screw-adjustable dies, 4-40 to 1/4-20 and holder

Files
Set jeweler's files
10" and 6" Mill *******, second cut and smooth
6" round and trianglar files
Handles for all files

Lathe
3 and 4 jaw chucks
Toolholder, quickchange is nice but not manditory
Jacobs chuck w/correct adapter for tailstock
Dead centers
Plenty of 1/4 and 3/8 HSS blank tools
Boring bar and tool

Mill - bare minimum
Collet set
Wrench for drawbar
Vise
Clamping kit
Right angle block
Cheap set 1-2-3 blocks
Jacobs chuck w/correct adaptor for spindle
1/8, 1/4, 1/2 good quality 4-flute endmills
Edge finder

Mill - good to have when you can afford or need it
2nd right angle block
Flycutter
Rotary table
Boring head and tools
Some 2 flute endmills as needed

Layout
Spray can of blue Dykem
Scriber
Set machinist squares
Set transfer punches
Good center punch

Measuring
6" dial caliper, non-digital
Dial indicator w/arm for sweeping in mill head
12" steel rule
Inch and metric thread gauges
Inch feeler gauges
Jeweler's loup or other magnifier
Some sort of protractor

Misc
Safety glasses
Ear protectors
Set common hand tools
Rubber mallet
2 lb hammer
Cold chisel
Sabre saw and hacksaw with good quality fine and coarse metal blades
Set C-clamps
Machinery's Handbook
Decimal conversion chart, can copy from Machinery's Handbook
Clearance and tap drill size chart, can copy from Machinery's Handbook
Way oil
Cutting fluid
Spindle oil
Gear grease
Lumber and plywood scraps

Gerald Miller

Michael Haseler wrote:
I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Just move next to Gunner and help him get the Volvo out of the back
lot.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
michael

Michael Haseler wrote:

I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Mike Haseler

You obviously have no realistic idea what you are doing. The word "room" is a
dead giveaway. Room is what you need in abundance, lots of it. You must think
"shop space". You simply can't collect all the things that will be absolutely
required and fit them into a room.
Entry into this realm is actually a disease, the only cures being don't start,
and death.
Sad to see another victim drawn into the neverending collection of stuff, good
stuff though....

michael

Torsten

"Michael Haseler" (remove 8SPAM) wrote in
message ...
I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but

what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Mike Haseler

So you have enough for the purchase of the machines and now you are
wondering
how much else you need to spend before you will be able to do some useful
stuff
with it.
You did not mention what you want to build so I assume you want to be able
do just about everything.
O may this is gone get expensive sort of like if you have to ask you
certainly wont be
able to afford it.
There are people that are in this hobby for 40 + years have spend 10th of
thousands
and still don't have all the equipment to do everything.
They still spend money frequently on accessory's to expand there
capability's.
They are able to make a part here and there and save some $20.- on occasion
which
they otherwise would need to purchase.
For most people this is a negative cash flow hobby so you better like it a
lot sense
likely you wont get rich from doing this.
Sorry I can not give you a figure without knowing what you want to build.

The most cost effective approach in my opinion is buy what you need when you
need it
and are able to justify the purchase.
The downside is you may have to wait for a tool to arrive before you can get
to work.
But it will keep your money in your pocket longer and you will feel better
about when
you do spend it.
Another benefit is when you have a job to thread 500 holes in stainless the
question
of should I buy the quality or the cheap Tabs somehow never comes up.

Back to your question "everything" is "nice to have" until you need it then
it becomes
"essential".

I am sure you have known all of that haven't you.
Good Luck

DejaVU

michael scribed in
:

Michael Haseler wrote:

I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

You obviously have no realistic idea what you are doing. The word
"room" is a dead giveaway. Room is what you need in abundance,
lots of it. You must think "shop space". You simply can't collect

room? I've got 3x3 meters. Lathe and drill press so far. shelves,
and 2m long workbench too. a bench mill will fit int here somewhere,
but a floorstandign would have to go next door in the single car
garage.

don't worry about room, just do what you want to do... the room will
follow obediently....

Sad to see another victim drawn into the neverending collection of
stuff, good stuff though....

gah, where's you spirit of adventure?

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
Bruce

I have found that if you study what tools and accessories are used for
and what they are selling for, then, as you go to garage sales and
auctions, when you see something that you might "like" to have and the
price is right....pick it up...before too long, you will be surprised
as to what you do have in your collection of tools and accessories.
Just be sure to do your homework before hand so when the "deal" is
before your eyes, you will know it....nothing hurts as bad as watching
the items sell super cheap, then go home, look it up and kick yourself
for not knowing a deal when you saw one.....been there too many
times..

"Torsten" wrote in message .. .
[...]

Michael Haseler

"michael" wrote in message
Michael Haseler wrote:

I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

You obviously have no realistic idea what you are doing. The word "room"

is a
dead giveaway. Room is what you need in abundance, lots of it. You must

think
"shop space".

I apologise, my american is not so nice, we on Alpha Centuri just managed to
get interweb and I learn to speak your language.... but I surprise you not
mention light tools? ion files?

regards,
¬`¶±æ'\Z

Alaric B Snell

(remove 8SPAM) wrote:

I want to set up a simple work room with lathe, drill and mill.

Looking at the accessories that are available they all seem useful, but what
are the essentials and which just "nice to have".

Nothing is essential, everything is nice to have. It all depends
on what you want to do, and how bad you want to do it.

You'll want some way for cutting rawstock for both lathe and mill.
If you have a mill you don't need a drill though it might be a
convenience at times. I don't have a drillpress in my shop.

I get by with a Dremel (including a load of accessories for it - chiefly
the drill press unit) for my cutting and grinding, along with a nice big
propane torch and silver solder to join things up again.

So I get raw stock, cut it up, and join it together in new ways. And
maybe drill holes with the Dremel. I'm looking into casting as well.

Needless to say, I make small things, not big things. I can't afford to
buy the tools and stock for big things, let alone the space.

Definitely no space or money for a lathe or milling machine, much as I'd
love to have a lathe! Being able to cut arbitrary threads and diameters
of tubing would mean I'd never have to buy an adapter for gas hoses or
plumbing or motor shafts again :-) But I'd only need a little benchtop
lathe.

Files - lots of files. I'm always filing things down. Really want to get
a few more grinding / polishing heads for the Dremel. I wonder if they
do a flap wheel?

ABS