Mark Maglana

Default Gear hobber gear train set-up

For those using conventional gear hobbers:

- After determining the ideal ratio needed to fabricate a helical gear,
how do you determine the best combination of (A/B)*(C/D) in your
gearbox that closely approximates the ratio?

- how often do you need to change your gear setup?

- how long does it usually take for you to find the right values for A,
B, C, and D? (half an hour? an hour?)

Karl Townsend

- After determining the ideal ratio needed to fabricate a helical gear,
how do you determine the best combination of (A/B)*(C/D) in your
gearbox that closely approximates the ratio?

- how often do you need to change your gear setup?

- how long does it usually take for you to find the right values for A,
B, C, and D? (half an hour? an hour?)

This can indeed be a difficult problem for odd sizes. Here's a web site that
has a great discussion group on hobbing, and offers computer software to
solve the gear train setup:

http://www.meshingwithgears.com/index.html

FWIW, hobbing for the hobbyist pun has been a great interest of mine.
Electronic gearing is the solution for this problem. You slave the index
drive to the spindle. Everything can then be done on a knee mill and
indexing head. A fellow named Jon Stevenson has one up and running. Another
fellow, named Don Foreman, has designed and built a better brainbox. Just
for me. He'd be glad to share with anyone. I was all set to have it running
last winter until more urgent matters intervened.

Karl

Justin

Marv Klotz has a program to do just that, I think.

http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo/gearatio.zip

That might not be the best of his programs though, there might be
something better suited.

-Justin

Mark Maglana

The website sells the software for $225? Is that an acceptable price?

Marvin W. Klotz

On 21 Aug 2005 20:47:52 -0700, "Justin" wrote:

Marv Klotz has a program to do just that, I think.

http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo/gearatio.zip

That might not be the best of his programs though, there might be
something better suited.

-Justin

Yes, GEARATIO. He may also want to take a look at GEARFIND.
Both are free for the downloading.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
http://www.geocities.com/mklotz.geo

Mark Maglana

The performance on these applications is not that good. I'm going to
build my own gear set finder instead. It will have the ability to
search for 2-gear, 4-gear, and 6-gear combinations. I'm also going to
put in the ability to remember configurations for multiple machines, as
well as a ratio calculator.