Karl Townsend

Posted and Emailed
Would you please send me a copy? I'd be most interested.

Karl

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
The very current issue of Model Engineer's Workshop, the British mag, has
an article on gear hobbing which uses electronic synchronization.

GWE

Karl Townsend wrote:

- After determining the ideal ratio needed to fabricate a helical gear,
how do you determine the best combination of (A/B)*(C/D) in your
gearbox that closely approximates the ratio?

- how often do you need to change your gear setup?

- how long does it usually take for you to find the right values for A,
B, C, and D? (half an hour? an hour?)

This can indeed be a difficult problem for odd sizes. Here's a web site
that has a great discussion group on hobbing, and offers computer
software to solve the gear train setup:

http://www.meshingwithgears.com/index.html

FWIW, hobbing for the hobbyist pun has been a great interest of mine.
Electronic gearing is the solution for this problem. You slave the index
drive to the spindle. Everything can then be done on a knee mill and
indexing head. A fellow named Jon Stevenson has one up and running.
Another fellow, named Don Foreman, has designed and built a better
brainbox. Just for me. He'd be glad to share with anyone. I was all set
to have it running last winter until more urgent matters intervened.

Karl