Graham Saunders

Default DIY Gadgets

After a break of about 4 years (moved to a new house, very little DIY to be
done, Hurrah!), I'm back to lurking here (house looking shabby after 4
years, and the missus wants to change everything around :-(

Anyway, I've been using some new DIY gadgets that I dont remember being
around ~4 years ago (does the world change that fast??)

1. Spray on pipe freezer. Stick a collar around a pipe, spray in some stuff
from a can a wait a little bit. An ice plug forms in the pipe which is good
for 5 bar for 45 minutes, so you can cut the pipes and do what you need to
do without any hassle. Fab! I had to replace a tap, and since I dont have
any service valves (cheapskate developers, grr!) and I'm to scared to go
anywhere near the megaflow moster in the airing cupboard, it just about
saved me from loads of hassle. About £10 for a kit in B&Q, which seems
enough for a good few months of DIY plumbing.

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you stick them
on the wall where your about to drill, drill through them, and they catch
*all* the dust. 2 for ~£2 in B&Q, and they come with different strength
adhesives for wallpaper, bare walls, tiles etc. Genius!

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

Cheers

Mary Fisher

"Graham Saunders" wrote in message
[...]

That's not new! Good though.

Mary

Harvey Van Sickle

On 25 Oct 2004, Graham Saunders wrote

After a break of about 4 years (moved to a new house, very little
DIY to be done, Hurrah!), I'm back to lurking here (house looking
shabby after 4 years, and the missus wants to change everything
around :-(

Anyway, I've been using some new DIY gadgets that I dont remember
being around ~4 years ago (does the world change that fast??)

1. Spray on pipe freezer.
2. DustBubbles.

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

This one may be old hat, but: battery-operated wallpaper trimmer.

Even better'n sliced bread.

--
Cheers,
Harvey
nightjar

[...]

ISTR the instructions say not to use it twice, as the manufacturers cannot
guarantee that there is enough freezer in the spray to be certain that any
but the first ice plug will hold. I have used one, many years ago, to change
a main stopcock in a flat, but I prefer to have good working isolating
valves instead.

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you stick
them on the wall where your about to drill, drill through them, and they
catch *all* the dust. 2 for ~£2 in B&Q, and they come with different
strength adhesives for wallpaper, bare walls, tiles etc. Genius!

A saleable version of the idea of sticking an old envelope to the wall under
the hole..

Colin Bignell

Bob Eager

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:40:31 UTC, "nightjar"
wrote:

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you stick
them on the wall where your about to drill, drill through them, and they
catch *all* the dust. 2 for ~£2 in B&Q, and they come with different
strength adhesives for wallpaper, bare walls, tiles etc. Genius!

A saleable version of the idea of sticking an old envelope to the wall under
the hole..

I have the sucky-plate-with-a-hole-in-it that you attach to a vacuum
cleaner, then drill 'through' the hole...
--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and

raden

In message , Graham Saunders
writes
After a break of about 4 years (moved to a new house, very little DIY to be
done, Hurrah!), I'm back to lurking here (house looking shabby after 4
years, and the missus wants to change everything around :-(

Anyway, I've been using some new DIY gadgets that I dont remember being
around ~4 years ago (does the world change that fast??)

1. Spray on pipe freezer.

Been around for years

2. DustBubbles.

I've always used an envelope and double sided tape, although bought some
when CPC were selling @ 10 for 45p, quite useful. ISTR someone who was
trying to get that idea off the ground was kicking it around in uk-diy a
few years back.

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

Tandem combi boilers

--
geoff
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:35:42 GMT, Graham Saunders wrote:

1. Spray on pipe freezer.

Been around for years. I wouldn't use one unless I *really* had to.
That five minute job can so easyly develop into two hours and you only
have 45 mins before the ice plug gives up... no thank you. If I hit a
snag I like to sit and think the proper way out not be forced by the
clock to do... something... anything...

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you
stick them on the wall where your about to drill, drill through
them, and they catch *all* the dust. 2 for ~=A32 in B&Q,

I use a bit of scrap paper folded up stuck with lo tac adheshive (top
of a Post-it or masking tape) cost pennies, if that.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Graham Saunders" wrote in message

Anyway, I've been using some new DIY gadgets that I dont remember being
around ~4 years ago (does the world change that fast??)

Although some of us in the know have said that the freezing stuff is not new
and that envelopes work as well as B&Q's devices (Spouse uses a vac) I think
it's good that you bothered to tell the group of your finds. There will be
many others who've never heard of them.

Don't be put off posting about other things you've found useful.

Mary

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Graham Saunders
writes
After a break of about 4 years (moved to a new house, very little DIY to

be
done, Hurrah!), I'm back to lurking here (house looking shabby after 4
years, and the missus wants to change everything around :-(

Anyway, I've been using some new DIY gadgets that I dont remember being
around ~4 years ago (does the world change that fast??)

1. Spray on pipe freezer.

Been around for years

2. DustBubbles.

I've always used an envelope and double sided tape, although bought some
when CPC were selling @ 10 for 45p, quite useful. ISTR someone who was
trying to get that idea off the ground was kicking it around in uk-diy a
few years back.

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

Tandem combi boilers

Maxie, alas not a DIY innovation, fully pro.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you stick them
on the wall where your about to drill,

What's wrong with an envelope ?

Top-loading DL envelope (commercial A4-in-thirds size). Poke the
bottom corners inside-out to keep the envelope held open, then stick
it underneath the hole with a bit of masking tape.

--
Smert' spamionam
Andy Dingley

wrote:

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

Brushmate.

Don't wash your brushes out, just store them in here until next time.
They stay soft and ready to paint with.

I've had one for a few years and these things really work!

--
Smert' spamionam
raden

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you stick
them on the wall where your about to drill, drill through them, and they
catch *all* the dust. 2 for ~£2 in B&Q, and they come with different
strength adhesives for wallpaper, bare walls, tiles etc. Genius!

A saleable version of the idea of sticking an old envelope to the wall under
the hole..

I have the sucky-plate-with-a-hole-in-it that you attach to a vacuum
cleaner, then drill 'through' the hole...

Oh yes, I forgot, I have one of those - -I've never used it though

I also have a wife who runs around after me cleaning up the mess I make

--
geoff
raden

In message , Andy Dingley
writes
wrote:

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

Brushmate.

Don't wash your brushes out, just store them in here until next time.
They stay soft and ready to paint with.

I've had one for a few years and these things really work!

Well old they are - I've had one for years

--
geoff
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
Maxie, alas not a DIY innovation, fully pro.

Perhaps you'd give some details of such a pro installation so it may be
checked out?

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

nightjar

wrote:

What other DIY innovations have i missed in the last few years?

Brushmate.

Don't wash your brushes out, just store them in here until next time.
They stay soft and ready to paint with.

I've had one for a few years and these things really work!

I just buy cheap brushes and chuck them after use.

Colin Bignell

Jethro

I just buy cheap brushes and chuck them after use.

Funny, I used to take this view, then SWMBO "persuaded" me that buying nicer
brushes and "looking after them" was the way. Dutifully purchased some
Harris and Stanley brushes, and lo ! Bristles everywhere. Much chunnering
from SWMBO ... especially as I made a big show of lovingly cleaning them up
for next time ...

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 08:42:18 +0000 (UTC), "Jethro"
wrote:

Funny, I used to take this view, then SWMBO "persuaded" me that buying nicer
brushes and "looking after them" was the way. Dutifully purchased some
Harris and Stanley brushes, and lo ! Bristles everywhere.

Stanley are very low end. Harris are OK, but nothing special, and it
depends on the range / model. If you can buy them in B&Q, they're
hardly likely to be far above the bottom of the barrel.

I buy a lot of cheap brushes as disposables, but I don't use them on
real projects. It's not about cleaning, it's about the quality of the
job they do. I spent real money and effort on making that - I don't
want to screw it up with shed bristles.

(Do sheds _have_ bristles ?)

Sam

wrote:

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you stick
them on the wall where your about to drill, drill through them, and
they
catch *all* the dust. 2 for ~£2 in B&Q, and they come with different
strength adhesives for wallpaper, bare walls, tiles etc. Genius!

A saleable version of the idea of sticking an old envelope to the wall
under
the hole..

I have the sucky-plate-with-a-hole-in-it that you attach to a vacuum
cleaner, then drill 'through' the hole...

I just hold the cleaner tube up under the hole, works for me.

Sam

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:02:56 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

That five minute job can so easyly develop into two hours and you only
have 45 mins before the ice plug gives up... no thank you.

Never use your last can of it....

If you wrap the pipe in a wet towel after freezing, then freeze the
towel too, you can get a couple of hours out of it.

I use a bit of scrap paper folded up stuck with lo tac adheshive (top
of a Post-it or masking tape) cost pennies, if that.

You're missing the main function of "gadgets" here - they're for
selling, not for using.

--
Smert' spamionam

Ric

wrote:

Funny, I used to take this view, then SWMBO "persuaded" me that buying
nicer
brushes and "looking after them" was the way. Dutifully purchased some
Harris and Stanley brushes, and lo ! Bristles everywhere.

Stanley are very low end. Harris are OK, but nothing special, and it
depends on the range / model. If you can buy them in B&Q, they're
hardly likely to be far above the bottom of the barrel.

I buy a lot of cheap brushes as disposables, but I don't use them on
real projects. It's not about cleaning, it's about the quality of the
job they do. I spent real money and effort on making that - I don't
want to screw it up with shed bristles.

(Do sheds _have_ bristles ?)

Only if you paint them with a crap brush.

IMM

wrote:

That five minute job can so easyly develop into two hours and you only
have 45 mins before the ice plug gives up... no thank you.

Never use your last can of it....

If you wrap the pipe in a wet towel after freezing, then freeze the
towel too, you can get a couple of hours out of it.

Anyone with sense would instantly push on a full bore valve, or have all
your pipework pre-fabricated and ready, freeze and install in a matter of a
few minutes using compression or brass push fit joints.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:10:30 UTC, "Sam" wrote:

I have the sucky-plate-with-a-hole-in-it that you attach to a vacuum
cleaner, then drill 'through' the hole...

I just hold the cleaner tube up under the hole, works for me.

But doesn't leave both hands free...

--
The information contained in this post
is copyright (C) RD Eager, 2004, and
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info, who are
FORBIDDEN from copying it.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

2. DustBubbles. They are self adhesive dust collectors, which you
stick
them on the wall where your about to drill, drill through them, and
they
catch *all* the dust. 2 for ~£2 in B&Q, and they come with different
strength adhesives for wallpaper, bare walls, tiles etc. Genius!

A saleable version of the idea of sticking an old envelope to the wall
under
the hole..

I have the sucky-plate-with-a-hole-in-it that you attach to a vacuum
cleaner, then drill 'through' the hole...

Oh yes, I forgot, I have one of those - -I've never used it though

I also have a wife who runs around after me cleaning up the mess I make

That's not a new gadget!

Mary

--
geoff

Owain

"Andy Dingley" wrote
| I use a bit of scrap paper folded up stuck with lo tac
| adheshive (top of a Post-it or masking tape) cost
| pennies, if that.
| You're missing the main function of "gadgets" here -
| they're for selling, not for using.

They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at birthdays and
christmases about which we can say "thank you dear, that will come in
useful" without being too dishonest. Gadgets are the only things between us
and incompetent present-givers and never-ending socks and musical
underpants.

Owain

Sam

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:10:30 UTC, "Sam" wrote:

I have the sucky-plate-with-a-hole-in-it that you attach to a vacuum
cleaner, then drill 'through' the hole...

I just hold the cleaner tube up under the hole, works for me.

But doesn't leave both hands free...

--

True, whilst I find it OK to manage having someone else to hold the cleaner
does make it easier.

Sam

N. Thornton

Andy Dingley wrote in message . ..

I buy a lot of cheap brushes as disposables, but I don't use them on
real projects. It's not about cleaning, it's about the quality of the
job they do. I spent real money and effort on making that - I don't
want to screw it up with shed bristles.

(Do sheds _have_ bristles ?)

I know this used to be a big problem with budget brushes, but Ive
found the 11p toolstation ones to be quite ok, and not shed.
Ridiculously cheap!

NT
Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
"Andy Dingley" wrote

| You're missing the main function of "gadgets" here -
| they're for selling, not for using.

They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at birthdays and
christmases about which we can say "thank you dear, that will come in
useful" without being too dishonest. Gadgets are the only things between
us
and incompetent present-givers and never-ending socks and musical
underpants.

I'd have thought a never-ending sock could be classed as a gadget.

Mary

Owain

Set Square

Mary Fisher wrote:

I'd have thought a never-ending sock could be classed as a gadget.

Mary

Only if you've got a never-ending foot to put in it! g
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

I also have a wife who runs around after me cleaning up the mess I make

That's not a new gadget!

I still can't get over the novelty though

Don't give Spouse ideas.

Mary

--
geoff

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:18:06 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I'd have thought a never-ending sock could be classed as a gadget.

I _have_ a never-ending sock. It's actually a knitted Klein bottle.
Bit of a bugger if you store it in the sock drawer though.
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:09:23 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

Gadgets are the only things between us
and incompetent present-givers and never-ending socks and musical
underpants.

That and twenty-four garages with soft toys and a few wilting
carnations.

Chris J Dixon

Owain wrote:

They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at birthdays and
christmases about which we can say "thank you dear, that will come in
useful" without being too dishonest.

So, what really useful stuff should we have on our Xmas lists?
My usual problem is that if I want it and it is affordable, I've
probably bought it, otherwise it is too expensive for a present.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I'd have thought a never-ending sock could be classed as a gadget.

I _have_ a never-ending sock. It's actually a knitted Klein bottle.

I give in.

What's a Klein bottle?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Owain wrote:

They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at birthdays and
christmases about which we can say "thank you dear, that will come in
useful" without being too dishonest.

So, what really useful stuff should we have on our Xmas lists?
My usual problem is that if I want it and it is affordable, I've
probably bought it, otherwise it is too expensive for a present.

I'm the same. I don't want anything I don't need and have everything I need.

Except more time ...

Mary

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

.. .
wrote:

I'd have thought a never-ending sock could be classed as a gadget.

I _have_ a never-ending sock. It's actually a knitted Klein bottle.

I give in.

What's a Klein bottle?

A two dimensional mobius strip

google would be you friend for life here

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

Owain wrote:

They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at birthdays and
christmases about which we can say "thank you dear, that will come in
useful" without being too dishonest.

So, what really useful stuff should we have on our Xmas lists?
My usual problem is that if I want it and it is affordable, I've
probably bought it, otherwise it is too expensive for a present.

I'm the same. I don't want anything I don't need and have everything I need.

Except more time ...

Is it on your side ?

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

. ..
wrote:

I'd have thought a never-ending sock could be classed as a gadget.

I _have_ a never-ending sock. It's actually a knitted Klein bottle.

I give in.

What's a Klein bottle?

A two dimensional mobius strip

er ... thanks.

I think ...

Mary

google would be you friend for life here

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

Owain wrote:

They're for buying as presents, so we get given things at birthdays and
christmases about which we can say "thank you dear, that will come in
useful" without being too dishonest.

So, what really useful stuff should we have on our Xmas lists?
My usual problem is that if I want it and it is affordable, I've
probably bought it, otherwise it is too expensive for a present.

I'm the same. I don't want anything I don't need and have everything I
need.

Except more time ...

Is it on your side ?

It wasn't on John Peel's - my contemporary :-(

Mary

--
geoff