Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

Default So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

"Stranded" stayin@home. wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:34:41 -0600, Hell Toupee
wrote:

Stranded wrote:
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:30:39 -0600, Hell Toupee
wrote:

Stranded wrote:
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:23:47 -0800 (PST), Frank
wrote:

On Feb 8, 9:10=A0am, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:
25" of snow Saturday. =A0The farmer who has been handling snow
removal
here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. =A0Driveway is
660
and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. =A0Called others
from the Yellow Pages, no dice. =A0Another foot of snow expected
Tues.-Wed. =A0Death by starvation. =A0Never thought I'd go out this
way.
Me and most of my neighborhood were all set for the snow with snow
throwers and generators.
Neighbor in back, with drive longer than yours, did it with a snow
thrower and we had just as much snow as you.
Oh I have a whole house Kohler generator but power from the elec. co.
wasn't interrupted -- this time.

But you can't eat propane.

Can't imagine anyone doing a real long drive with a walk behind snow
thrower especially with 2 ft. of snow. He must have a huge machine
and probably had to refill his tank a dozen times.
What are you, a princess? Looking for reasons to whine about your
self-created situation instead of doing something about it? Get off
the internet and deal.

Was on the phone most of the morning trying to "deal."

Young people don't want to work today; they want someone to take care
of them. And they whine that they're unemployed.

Landscapers advertise "snow removal" in the phone book but it's just a
waste of print.

By 'deal' I meant get *your* butt out the door and start shoveling.
You created the situation by choosing a property with such a driveway.
You should have had a contingency plan in place for when Plan A
(somebody else clears your driveway) fails to execute. Apparently, you
hadn't. Okay, time to grab the shovel and start digging your way out.
Or, put on your boots and walk out. Either approach will get you
further than will griping on the internet about your inability to find
someone else to deal with your problem.

30-35 years ago, the old lady and I shoveled the driveway. Three of
the snowfalls were in the 20-24" range and it took a week for each
one to complete the job. Sometimes we just kept the vehicle at the
bottom of the hill and walked up to the house. Then we found the
farmer.

Can't shovel like that anymore.

And I would suggest that you acquire one of the following if you plan
on keeping the property: A. a snowblower; B. a truck/plow combination;
C. a snowmobile. Then you'll be prepared if Plan A fails again in the
future.

Would love like hell to have a blade installed on my Chev. Colorado.
But I'm a klutz when it comes to blue collar stuff that you tool heads
are so good at. I'm reading on the Internet about the necessity of
having truck with heavy duty transmission, axle, suspension. I doubt
if a Colorado fits the bill. Then it talks about ballast in the bed,
whatever that means. And hell, those blades have got to be hundreds
of lbs. So you take it off in Spring and just let it fall to the
ground. No way can I dead lift hundreds of lbs. anymore. Didn't
realize a snow blade was so complex.

30 years ago I lived and worked where we averaged 300 inches of snow a
year. Had a 1967 Ford bronco with a 6 foot plow on front. Power lift. Never
had any problem moving 2 feet of snow or more sometimes. Just set in down
in the summer where I wanted to store it and disconected pins to disconect
the plow. My 10 year old son could do that. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 19:55:58 -0500, "h"
wrote:

"K" wrote in message
.

Your problem is that you need food. Can you get a store to deliver where
you are? Around here, the Stop&Shop chain does, and maybe you could get
it to the bottom of your driveway. Rig up a sled of some sort and go get
it.

Yup. Netgrocer.com. Fedex next day. Or...if you're like normal people, call
a local food store and ask for delivery. If you really can't manage to clear
a shovel's width to the road you absolutely MUST have a main plan and a
backup for clearing snow

There's no way FedEx or anyone else will climb this hill with 24+
inches on the ground and another 20 in. on the way tomorrow and Wed.
If they leave it down below, might be tough to retrieve it walking
down and then up a hill with 4 ft. of snow cover.

. Failing that, move into an apt or other place that
does the upkeep for you. How did you manage to live this long?

Might be time to get into one of those retirement communities where
you start out independent and then move to higher levels of care as
you deteriorate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
On Feb 8, 1:51 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
2' of snow simply means 2 to 3 sessions of snow blowing as the snow is
coming down, i.e. 8"-12" at a time. With a decent machine and that
8"-12" depth to move, figure 10 min max per 100' of driveway

You assume Stranded could even run a snowblower... He sounds pretty
old, probably in his 70's with the problems any normal 70-something
would have. Most people over 70 have no business running a snowblower
in a typical short 100' suburban driveway, let alone 660' of rural
driveway.

What I find ironic is that he's complaining about a circumstance he
brought upon himself, and blaming it on young people who complain
about circumstances they brought upon themselves.

Yes, you brought it on yourself. You knew that there'd be heavy snows
and that you wouldn't be able to clear the driveway yourself. You knew
that your farmer friend was getting too old to spend hours in the
bitter cold scooping out your driveway. Yet, your pride and silly
emotional attachments kept you from putting a for sale sign out by the
road and moving into town.

That's all well and good, but you had to know that there were risks
involved. One was that you'd get snowed in and not be able to get out.
You knew that there was a chance that this would happen. You've got no
business complaining about it.

My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..It is self propelled and
electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at
it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...

Where I live now I only have a double wide by 30 feet driveway. Just use a
snow shovel. Keeps me in shape. But I am only 82. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:55:16 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
Staying home collecting Obama checks.

Where my check be at?

TDD

Over yonder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 5:43*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:20:55 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Many of those unemployed folks have flocked to the states where the
economy is in fairly decent shape, Texas in particular. The apparent
unemployment rate in TX is lower than most states, even though it
appears higher than it really is due to all the unemployed folks
flocking here to find work.

Correct. The report I read said the umemployment rate was up to 8.3%
(from 8.0) but 62,000 jobs had been added. The only way that can
happen is more folks moving in than jobs created.

It's government math. The those capable of working but who have given up
looking for work are not counted amongst the "unemployed."- Hide quoted text -

Neither are those who are working part time or flipping burgers with
masters degrees. Funny how some people were all too willing to count
those when the unemployment rate showed 5% but totally ignore them
when they are in control and the unemployment is 10%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobR wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Nobody actually flips burgers any more- they have droids that do that.
All the human has to do is load the hockey pucks in the hopper, and
assemble the burgers at the other end. Saves on training and insurance.
Lean over and look at the register next time you buy junk food. Around
here, half the registers have pictures instead of numbers....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

Bob F wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stranded wrote:
25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal
here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660
and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others
from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow expected
Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out this way.
Hmmm,
Blame global warming!!

Very well could be. Weather extremes are one symptom.

If we were actually seeing any weather extremes I might believe that,
however the weather we are seeing now matches nicely with the weather we
saw around 30 years and change ago, and 30 years before that, etc. This
stuff runs in cycles and the current crop of global warming alarmists is
too young and / or has too short an attention span to realize that what
we are seeing now is nothing new.

Hi,
May I ask how old you are?
All I know is during summer I can't see any snow caps on the Rockies
which were there even 20 years ago. Columbia Ice field is retreating
like crazy even you young guy like me can notice. I had to install
central air couple years ago. Korea experienced coldest/snowy winter
in 60 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Bob F wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stranded wrote:
[...]

40.

All I know is during summer I can't see any snow caps on the Rockies
which were there even 20 years ago. Columbia Ice field is retreating
like crazy even you young guy like me can notice. I had to install
central air couple years ago. Korea experienced coldest/snowy winter
in 60 years.

The earth does not stay static for our convenience, it continues to go
through it's normal cycles and changes whether we like it or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
Staying home collecting Obama checks.

Where my check be at?

TDD

Over yonder.

Who dat be done got my check? Where it at?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Or, they figure the rest of us have a short attention span.
If we had short attention span, we'd do things like sending
incompete

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

If we were actually seeing any weather extremes I might
believe that,
however the weather we are seeing now matches nicely with
the weather we
saw around 30 years and change ago, and 30 years before
that, etc. This
stuff runs in cycles and the current crop of global warming
alarmists is
too young and / or has too short an attention span to
realize that what
we are seeing now is nothing new.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:15:01 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stranded wrote:
25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal
here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660
and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others
from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow expected
Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out this way.

Hmmm,
Blame global warming!!

Very well could be. Weather extremes are one symptom.

Uh, temps are 10 degrees below normal where this snow is blasting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 14:10:52 GMT, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:

25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal
here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660
and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others
from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow expected
Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out this way.

It's not about finding a job (anyone with two college degrees can find
a minimum-paying job), it's about survival. Folks here are more
concened about their drugs (they think they need) or milk supply than
an icy-snowy driveway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 5:17*pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..It is self propelled and
electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at
it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just
walk behind it."

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when
you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead
weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and
Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't
turn for beans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/08/10 06:43 pm, HeyBub wrote:

Many of those unemployed folks have flocked to the states where the
economy is in fairly decent shape, Texas in particular. The apparent
unemployment rate in TX is lower than most states, even though it
appears higher than it really is due to all the unemployed folks
flocking here to find work.

Correct. The report I read said the umemployment rate was up to 8.3%
(from 8.0) but 62,000 jobs had been added. The only way that can
happen is more folks moving in than jobs created.

It's government math. The those capable of working but who have given up
looking for work are not counted amongst the "unemployed."

I'm sure the statistics were much more accurate in UK and Australia when
the unemployed had to register with the govt-run employment agency to
get their unemployment benefits, keep reporting back every so often, and
show evidence of having applied for the jobs that appeared to be a good
fit. Of course the unemployed were encouraged to look for work through
other channels as well.

If there is a period after which person can no longer collect
unemployment benefits, how does anybody know that that person is still
unemployed?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

On Feb 8, 5:12*pm, "benick" wrote:
Check out the Home Owner Plows built by SnowBear or Fisher...I have one for
4 years and love it...My snowbear weighs about 300 pounds and will fit any
truck...It uses an electric winch to raise and lower the plow with remote in
thr cab..You do have to angle it by hand but it's a breeze...I LOVE
it...About 1500 bucks

....and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

On Feb 8, 4:04*pm, stayin@home. (Stranded) wrote:
Would love like hell to have a blade installed on my Chev. Colorado.
But I'm a klutz when it comes to blue collar stuff that you tool heads
are so good at. *I'm reading on the Internet about the necessity of
having truck with heavy duty transmission, axle, suspension. *I *doubt
if a Colorado fits the bill. Then it talks about ballast in the bed,
whatever that means. *And hell, those blades have got to be hundreds
of lbs. *So you take it off in Spring and just let it fall to the
ground. *No way can I dead lift hundreds of lbs. anymore. *Didn't
realize a snow blade was so complex.

Jeez, do you want to plow your driveway or start a landscaping
business???

Google "Chevy Colorado snow plow" and educate yourself. There are
plenty of options out there for light-duty, light-weight snow plows
that are easy to hook and unhook. They have quick-attach systems where
you drive up to the plow and drop in a couple of pins to install it,
then remove a couple of pins and back away to uninstall it. No
lifting. No dropping.

You can have them professionally installed. Most people, even the guys
that plow driveways for a living, have them professionally installed.

You don't need to have a heavy duty truck to plow ONE driveway.

....and ballast? You don't know what ballast is? OMFG. Look it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote
Folks here are more
concened about their drugs (they think they need)

Would you care to comment on that?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:17 pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..It is self propelled and
electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at
it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just
walk behind it."

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when
you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead
weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and
Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't
turn for beans.

reply: Sounds like the typical intellectual. They can watch and tell you
what you are doing wrong, and what you SHOULD be doing, but they don't have
the oomph to get out there and do it themselves.

All the "labor saving devices" take work to operate. Mowers, tillers, snow
blowers, you name it. They just don't work on a tether or on a radio
control system. Then there's the cleanup and maintenance.

The purpose of all these "labor saving devices" is not so one can finish
mowing the yard and then spend the rest of the day fishing. It is so that
we can have larger lawns.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

It was cancelled. You didn't have enough hope.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Phisherman wrote:
Staying home collecting Obama checks.

Where my check be at?

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

Change your last name to something Haitian sounding, and
call for government airdrop of food?

Unemployed people. Well, we should bring back the CCC.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stranded" stayin@home. wrote in message
25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow
removal
here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway
is 660
and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called
others
from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow
expected
Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out
this way.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:12 pm, "benick" wrote:
Check out the Home Owner Plows built by SnowBear or Fisher...I have one
for
4 years and love it...My snowbear weighs about 300 pounds and will fit any
truck...It uses an electric winch to raise and lower the plow with remote
in
thr cab..You do have to angle it by hand but it's a breeze...I LOVE
it...About 1500 bucks

...and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.

Again, what's so hard about shoveling a narrow path to the road and picking
up the groceries you had delivered to the bottom of the driveway? If you are
incapable of shoveling snow AND you have failed to have both a primary and
secondary snow removal plan, you have no business living on your own in the
boonies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

wrote:

How did you manage to live this long?

BWAHAHAHA

A platoon sgt. in basic training asked me the same thing, 44 years
ago.

The exact same words.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:36:32 -0500, "h"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:12 pm, "benick" wrote:
Check out the Home Owner Plows built by SnowBear or Fisher...I have one
for
4 years and love it...My snowbear weighs about 300 pounds and will fit any
truck...It uses an electric winch to raise and lower the plow with remote
in
thr cab..You do have to angle it by hand but it's a breeze...I LOVE
it...About 1500 bucks

...and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.

Again, what's so hard about shoveling a narrow path to the road and picking
up the groceries you had delivered to the bottom of the driveway? If you are
incapable of shoveling snow AND you have failed to have both a primary and
secondary snow removal plan, you have no business living on your own in the
boonies.

Well, 24" had just fallen and now we're getting nailed with another
20" on top of it.

PRIMARY PLAN: Assume that the farmer who has been reliable for so many
years would continue to be.

SECONDARY PLAN: Call other snow removal people listed in phone book.

TERTIARY PLAN: If I'd've know that #1 and #2 wouldn't work, I'd've
put the vehicle at the bottom of the driveway, shop for small amts. of
food every day, and carry it up the hill. We did this in the past.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:12 pm, "benick" wrote:
Check out the Home Owner Plows built by SnowBear or Fisher...I have one
for
4 years and love it...My snowbear weighs about 300 pounds and will fit any
truck...It uses an electric winch to raise and lower the plow with remote
in
thr cab..You do have to angle it by hand but it's a breeze...I LOVE
it...About 1500 bucks

....and it ain't gonna move 24" of snow.

No **** Sherlock..But it will move 8 inches at a time...DUH...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

Next year, when the snow clears. Be sure to buy ahead, and
keep your home stocked with food, kerosene, and other needs.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stranded" stayin@home.
wrote in message ...

Well, 24" had just fallen and now we're getting nailed with
another
20" on top of it.

PRIMARY PLAN: Assume that the farmer who has been reliable
for so many
years would continue to be.

SECONDARY PLAN: Call other snow removal people listed in
phone book.

TERTIARY PLAN: If I'd've know that #1 and #2 wouldn't work,
I'd've
put the vehicle at the bottom of the driveway, shop for
small amts. of
food every day, and carry it up the hill. We did this in
the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

Man, you don't know how bad it is here.

They're expecting massive power failures and roofs torn off tomorrow
when the winds kick in.

wrote in message ...

Well, 24" had just fallen and now we're getting nailed with
another
20" on top of it.

PRIMARY PLAN: Assume that the farmer who has been reliable
for so many
years would continue to be.

SECONDARY PLAN: Call other snow removal people listed in
phone book.

TERTIARY PLAN: If I'd've know that #1 and #2 wouldn't work,
I'd've
put the vehicle at the bottom of the driveway, shop for
small amts. of
food every day, and carry it up the hill. We did this in
the past.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:17 pm, "benick" wrote:
[...]

Hell, I've probably saved the $500 I spent on my
may-as-well-have-been-new snowblower already, just in painkillers I
didn't have to buy. My back ain't what it used to be, being the wrong
side of 50, and the wrong side of (mumble) pounds. Once you get the hang
of it, this 24" MTD isn't hard to steer at all- just power through the
turn and lean sideways. Or just let off both handles, pick up on the
back end, and walk it sideways to line up on the next row to plow. I got
it cheap from a dude about 5 feet tall and 90 pounds soaking wet, who
bought it, used it twice, and was apparently scared of it. $100 less
than new, and still had the plastic bag with the manual zip-tied to the
handle.

Mind you, there is stuff I would rather do than drive this thing up and
down the driveway. And I still have to do the front stoop and back deck
by hand, not to mention rake that one troublesome spot on the roof that
loves to form an ice cornice. But even with the 8" we got today, it all
took less than an hour, where doing it all by hand would have taken 2-3
hours, and I would be flat exhausted after. And my back doesn't hurt!

Still gotta set the alarm for 0500 in case I have to do it again in the
morning, just in case my office doesn't declare a delayed opening. (call
the special phone number and listen to the recording before I get
dressed or turn a light on- once a light has been on, I can't get back
to sleep.)

Another 5-7 inches predicted tonight...:^(

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

That's true; I don't know. Well, in a couple days when the
power comes back on, please tell us how you did.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stranded" stayin@home. wrote in message

Man, you don't know how bad it is here.

They're expecting massive power failures and roofs torn off
tomorrow
when the winds kick in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It was cancelled. You didn't have enough hope.

Dang! I ain't gots no change left.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The economic recovery and low unemployment didn't
materialize. Congress spent money like drunken liberal
sailors, and Uncle Bammy signed off on the spending. Now,
the economy is a mess, and the middle class is being over
taxed. And it's all George W. Bush's fault. That's Uncle
Bammy's story, and he's sticking to it.

Most nearly all the USA is in major financial strain, and
there is no relief in sight. Inflation is likely to happen
soon. Brother, can you spare a thousand bucks for a cup of
hot chocolate?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
It was cancelled. You didn't have enough hope.

Dang! I ain't gots no change left.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The economic recovery and low unemployment didn't
materialize. Congress spent money like drunken liberal
sailors, and Uncle Bammy signed off on the spending. Now,
the economy is a mess, and the middle class is being over
taxed. And it's all George W. Bush's fault. That's Uncle
Bammy's story, and he's sticking to it.

Most nearly all the USA is in major financial strain, and
there is no relief in sight. Inflation is likely to happen
soon. Brother, can you spare a thousand bucks for a cup of
hot chocolate?

I'm tired of Americans crying in their soup, blaming pols for what they
have done to themselves. First, they dedicated 10 years to examining
Bill Clinton's sex life when there were scads of vital issues, like
terrorism, being ignored. Too many voters voting one issue or voting
their religion. Buying imports by the billions and billions of dollars,
knowing jobs were bleeding out of the US and going overseas. Getting in
hock up to their eyeballs and then burning up home equity to pay debts.

The experts/gods/economists have been harping about America's dismal
personal savings rates....been talking about that at least 30 years.
Banks don't have money to loan...DUH! Once we all got a few shares of
stocks in 401k's, we all started voting like corporate board members.
Yeh, I want my stock to earn more so, sure, send those jobs to India or
Malaysia or Mexico...I want profit at any cost.

Terrorism isn't going to matter much if drugs keep pouring through our
borders, but at least many will be dying happier with whatever they put
up their noses or in their veins.

Four weeks after the worst disaster in our hemisphere, the big news is
Sarah Palin and the Super Bowl commercials. Oh, and Michael Jackson
again. What was it he died of?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:

wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:17 pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..It is self propelled and
electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at
it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just
walk behind it."

Having run a snowblower regularly from about 12-34, it is damn close to
"just walk behind it" as far as the regular driveway is concerned. Turns
are simply lean to the side while the snowblower is moving. Granted I
was also known to be rather aggressive with the snowblower in cutting
down snow banks and other funkiness, which does require wrestling the
machine, but that's not required for basic driveway clearing.

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when
you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead
weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and
Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't
turn for beans.

Every Ariens snowblower I have owned has had a differential and a
selectable differential lock. I typically leave it locked, but it's
certainly available to unlock if you want easier / tighter turns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How did you manage to live this long?

BWAHAHAHA

A platoon sgt. in basic training asked me the same thing, 44 years
ago.

The exact same words.

How much longer did he live?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure who all you are talking about. Probably the
lame-stream media. They are the ones who kept harping "it's
all about sex" when the Republicans impeached WJC for
perjury and selling missile secrets to the Chinese.

I'm one of many tens of millions of Americans who have no
interest in street drugs, and wish that the legislators
would better secure the border, and stop giving my tax
dollars to illegal alien border criminals who don't respect
our laws. I'd also like to see the concept of "anchor
babies" repealed.

Michael Jackson. Isn't he the crotch grabbing singer guy who
dangled his own baby son off a balcony, and plays with white
boys who are middle school age?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 8, 5:17*pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..

Mine's 84 & on a windy hill with a 200' long steep drive. He broke
his hip a couple winters ago & when the PT asked if he had any hobbies
he answered 'Gardening'. Then she asked what he did in the winter.
'Blow snow' was his answer. When he can't do his driveway any more
he'll be a very sad man. Some folks might not enjoy it so much.

It is self propelled and
electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at
it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...

There is a bit of work & science to it. Dad can't use a cab because
there is always too much wind-- so he goes with proper headgear and
goggles. He's also got a newer blower [8-10HP] that freewheels one
side when you turn. That makes a huge difference. My 8hp, 1980's
Bolens is a bear to turn. [but sure beats shoveling.] OTOH- my
little Toro electric is lighter than a shovel full of wet snow-- and
it will empty a mud puddle full of water in a couple seconds.

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just
walk behind it."

We used to go the dog park every day in the winter. It used to be 4
tennis courts. If we got a big snowfall I'd go over with the blower
& clear some paths. It was fun to just walk around without having
to turn around at all. Except for it being a *slow* walk-- it was
indeed, just 'walking behind it'.

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when
you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead
weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and
Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't
turn for beans.

Dad's 4-5? year old blower isn't anything fancy- but it has the
freewheeling so turning is easy. If you didn't have to keep the
lever depressed it would be a 1 finger operation.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

-snip-

Having run a snowblower regularly from about 12-34, it is damn close to
"just walk behind it" as far as the regular driveway is concerned. Turns
are simply lean to the side while the snowblower is moving.

Was that you that mentioned leaning yesterday? I've been blowing
snow with all manner of blowers- electric, single & double-stage,
1960s vintage to 2000-ish. I'm not understanding what you mean by
'leaning'.

Granted I
was also known to be rather aggressive with the snowblower in cutting
down snow banks and other funkiness, which does require wrestling the
machine, but that's not required for basic driveway clearing.

I love the cleanup when you've got 6foot snowbanks on either side that
the blower barely clears. If it hasn't frozen into glaciers I'll
get the electric out and cut them down with that. Otherwise I shave
of edges with the drift cutters and let the overhangs collapse.

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when
you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead
weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and
Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't
turn for beans.

Every Ariens snowblower I have owned has had a differential and a
selectable differential lock. I typically leave it locked, but it's
certainly available to unlock if you want easier / tighter turns.

Smack myself in the head. I'm with you in the 'it ain't hard work'
camp- and I had completely forgotten that even my 30-something year
old Bolens [essentially a Red Ariens] had locking hubs. I keep them
locked because I have a steep driveway- but if I had one of those flat
little postage stamps I'd unlock them and make the turns easier.

As it is I do very few sharp turns. I do the 'blow forward, then
back up' thing in my turnaround-- and after the first couple trips
down the center of the driveway, I've got a pretty good radius to
sweep around. One hand on the machine is all it takes.

The hard work for me is walking back up the hill, but at least the
snowblower can pull me a little.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness
dgk dgk is offline

wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stranded wrote:
25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal
here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660
and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others
from the Yellow Pages, no dice. Another foot of snow expected
Tues.-Wed. Death by starvation. Never thought I'd go out this way.
Hmmm,
Blame global warming!!

Very well could be. Weather extremes are one symptom.

Uh, temps are 10 degrees below normal where this snow is blasting.

That's why it's now called Climate Change instead of Gloal Warming.
Too many stupid people think that Global Warming means that it will
always be warmer and never get cold or snow again. "Oh wow, it's cold,
so much for global warming!"

Most of us learned that heat is energy and that more energy in the
atmosphere means more extreme events. And yes, over all, higher
average temperatures. Maybe not where you are right now. Where I am
right now we're getting another big snow storm.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness
dgk dgk is offline

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 19:44:17 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

That's true; I don't know. Well, in a couple days when the
power comes back on, please tell us how you did.

We need generators and satellite internet. We can't afford to lose
contact with out newsgroups!
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.bitterness

In article ,
dgk wrote:
ptom.

Uh, temps are 10 degrees below normal where this snow is blasting.

That's why it's now called Climate Change instead of Gloal Warming.
Too many stupid people think that Global Warming means that it will
always be warmer and never get cold or snow again. "Oh wow, it's cold,
so much for global warming!"

Most of us learned that heat is energy and that more energy in the
atmosphere means more extreme events. And yes, over all, higher
average temperatures. Maybe not where you are right now. Where I am
right now we're getting another big snow storm.

We've also learned that the best way to get away from people asking
questions is to incorporate it into the "theory". ANYTHING that happens
is part of the problem. Real convenient.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars