Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default So Where Are All These Unemployed People?

Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Feb 8, 5:17 pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad is 70 and he runs a snowblower just fine..It is self propelled and
electric start with a cab over it...He opens the garage dooor and goes at
it.No straining at all..You just walk behind it..LOL...

Have you ever run a snowblower? It certainly is NOT a matter of "just
walk behind it."

Yeah, your method works great for the first pass, but what about when
you reach the end of the driveway?

To turn one around, you need to be able to man-handle 250lbs of dead
weight. Your typical consumer-grade snowblower like any of the MTD and
Airens products have live axles. Both wheels drive equally. They don't
turn for beans.

reply: Sounds like the typical intellectual. They can watch and tell you
what you are doing wrong, and what you SHOULD be doing, but they don't have
the oomph to get out there and do it themselves.

All the "labor saving devices" take work to operate. Mowers, tillers, snow
blowers, you name it. They just don't work on a tether or on a radio
control system. Then there's the cleanup and maintenance.

The purpose of all these "labor saving devices" is not so one can finish
mowing the yard and then spend the rest of the day fishing. It is so that
we can have larger lawns.

Steve

Hell, I've probably saved the $500 I spent on my
may-as-well-have-been-new snowblower already, just in painkillers I
didn't have to buy. My back ain't what it used to be, being the wrong
side of 50, and the wrong side of (mumble) pounds. Once you get the hang
of it, this 24" MTD isn't hard to steer at all- just power through the
turn and lean sideways. Or just let off both handles, pick up on the
back end, and walk it sideways to line up on the next row to plow. I got
it cheap from a dude about 5 feet tall and 90 pounds soaking wet, who
bought it, used it twice, and was apparently scared of it. $100 less
than new, and still had the plastic bag with the manual zip-tied to the
handle.

Mind you, there is stuff I would rather do than drive this thing up and
down the driveway. And I still have to do the front stoop and back deck
by hand, not to mention rake that one troublesome spot on the roof that
loves to form an ice cornice. But even with the 8" we got today, it all
took less than an hour, where doing it all by hand would have taken 2-3
hours, and I would be flat exhausted after. And my back doesn't hurt!

Still gotta set the alarm for 0500 in case I have to do it again in the
morning, just in case my office doesn't declare a delayed opening. (call
the special phone number and listen to the recording before I get
dressed or turn a light on- once a light has been on, I can't get back
to sleep.)

Another 5-7 inches predicted tonight...:^(

--
aem sends....