Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default problems trying to rent while unemployed

Hello,
I find myself unemployed, and it's likely to be that way for
the next 3 - 6 months until I complete some training.

In the meantime, we've sold our house, and expect to clear
$250,000 + in profits when it closes in a couple of weeks.

We plan to rent for a year and then re-evauate things
at the end of the lease.

The problem we're having is that rentals, particularly those
that go thru a rental agency, are balking at renting to us
(myself, wife and two children)
even though our credit reports are good, and we're about to
get a big balance at the bank.

Anybody have any tips for improving our situation?

I came up with the idea of just offering the landlord
6 months rent in advance, even the full year,
but not sure of any legal implications of that.

TIA for any info.
Dave
Posted to misc.consumers.house

dave xnet wrote:
[...]

That sounds like the best idea to me. The disadvantage is not really
legal, but more practical. Once you're paid in full, you lose
leverage. So, I'd make even more sure than usual that the place is
ship shape and that you aren't going to run into problems, because the
landlord may be less responsive. Also, if for some reason you want to
break the lease early, the landlord is in a much better position and
will likely be less flexible in being willing to negotiate some
resolution.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Join the military. You get free/cheap housing and invest the house
profits for the years you ar in Iraq.. If you survive you can use
GIbill to buy a house.

dave xnet wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

We were in a similar situation about a year and a half ago. We decided
to pull up stakes on one coast and head for the other. I am a stay at
home mom, and the mister was going to be quitting his job and changing
careers and going back to school. So we were moving/renting with no jobs
waiting for us. The move was financed by my in-laws, and they were our
financial back-up for the transition, and down payment for the house we
intended to buy about a year after the move, assuming husband was indeed
employed. We were moving back to the area where I grew up, and where my
parents still lived.

We preferred to live *not* in an apartment complex, something owned
privately, a 4-plex or smaller. My mom found a nice duplex a few minutes
from them, owned by a couple who had a few properties here and there. We
had a good credit report, and my in-laws co-signed the lease. Turned out
she was also a real estate agent with a large, reputable local firm, and
acted as our buyer's agent through that process. That worked very well
for us, because they had a very positive attitude towards helping
tenants become homeowners, and with her being part of the process, she
knew the time frame involved in getting to closing and they were very
accommodating in allowing us to pay per diem in the last couple of weeks.

Anyway, my point is, I think there are people out there who will be
accepting of a non-usual situation and work with you. That's more likely
to happen with a privately owned situation rather than a complex or big
corporately owned situation run by managers and such - I think they
probably just don't have the leeway to bend and twist what are probably
some pretty strict guidelines.

Karen

dave xnet wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
dave xnet wrote:

I came up with the idea of just offering the landlord
6 months rent in advance, even the full year,
but not sure of any legal implications of that.

There is no legal issue with pre-paying a lease. You
can do whatever you and the landlord agree to do. In fact,
since you are paying in advance, you should ask for a small
discount (to cover the time value of money).

There is one issue, however. A renter asking to pay cash
or offering to prepay on a lease is a big red flag to most
landlords. This is often the story used by a bad renter,
or someone who has trashed a place or intends to set up a
meth lab.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:27:15 GMT, dkhedmo
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info Karen.

We found a cople of small units for rent, one a house
and the other a unit in a tri-plex. The owner seems flexible,
as my wife has talked to her directly a few times -
but the rental agency she's using treated us us with great
suspicion. We'll find out on Monday if we stand a chance with
that property.
Unfortunately the house fell thru because we couldn't work out
a date - the current tenants wouldn't be out in time.

We've run of time, our stuff is being picked up by the movers on the
20th Nov; we have to find something in the next few days.

Regarding big comlexes, there are a couple of them, both 200 - 300
units who are willling to work with us. They didn't seem particularly
bothered, as long as the credit report was OK, and we could show
at least 3 months worth of rent in the bank.
So if all else fails there's always that!
regards,
Dave H
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:36:51 -0600, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

In article ,
dave xnet wrote:

I came up with the idea of just offering the landlord
6 months rent in advance, even the full year,
but not sure of any legal implications of that.

There is no legal issue with pre-paying a lease. You
can do whatever you and the landlord agree to do. In fact,
since you are paying in advance, you should ask for a small
discount (to cover the time value of money).

There is one issue, however. A renter asking to pay cash
or offering to prepay on a lease is a big red flag to most
landlords. This is often the story used by a bad renter,
or someone who has trashed a place or intends to set up a
meth lab.

-john-

I hear what you are saying. It just occurred to me
about asking for a small discount. I'll think about that.

Well it's me, my wife two young children,
lived in our own home for last 7 years,
just sold, and our credit
report should be excellent. I see what you mean about
the red flag, but it's also a red flag (apparently) to apply for
an a rental whilst unemployed, regardless of ability to pay.

It's caught between a rock and a hard place!
regards,
Dave
Posted to misc.consumers.house

dave xnet wrote:

We've run of time, our stuff is being picked up by the movers on the
20th Nov; we have to find something in the next few days.

I wouldn't jump into something wrong out of a sense of urgency. There are
usually long term suites available for not _that_ much more than rent would be
until you find something you like. Long term defined as a week or more.

Worse comes to worse, you can always look up Oakwood apartments or someone
similar that does short term corporate relo apartments.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
oups.com...

dave xnet wrote:

I came up with the idea of just offering the landlord
6 months rent in advance, even the full year,
but not sure of any legal implications of that.

That sounds like the best idea to me. The disadvantage is not really
legal, but more practical. Once you're paid in full, you lose
leverage. So, I'd make even more sure than usual that the place is
ship shape and that you aren't going to run into problems, because the
landlord may be less responsive. Also, if for some reason you want to
break the lease early, the landlord is in a much better position and
will likely be less flexible in being willing to negotiate some
resolution.

Adding to Trader4's idea: put one year's worth of rent (or six months,
whatever) into a joint escrow account, to be released each month. That way
the landlord knows the money is there, but you're not losing your leverage
by paying your rent far in advance.

Just a suggestion.

Donna

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:47:17 GMT, "Donna"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

dave xnet wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your suggestion Donna.
Where/How does one establish such an account?

Dave

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:51:56 GMT, dave xnet
wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion Donna.
Where/How does one establish such an account?

Dave

A second point, if we pay the landlord driectly, we may be able to
negotiate a discount, perhaps 5%,to cover our loss of
potential interest over time, and the landlords gain.
We lose this benefit with the escrow situation.

Dave