Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Green Glue replaces adhesive

Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it
also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional
adhesive.

Thanks,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 10:03*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it
also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional
adhesive.

Thanks,

Sam

What is green glue and what kind of sheets, bedsheets or sheetrock or
Homasote or ???????
Posted to alt.home.repair

From everything I have read and researched about Green Glue, yes, you just
use the Green Glue as the only adhesive. It has soundproofing properties.
I assume that you mean between 2 sheet of drywall or other material that you
want to attach together and you want to create some soundproofing in the
process.

The http://GreenGlueCompany.com website has videos to show how to use it.

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it
also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional
adhesive.

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops, my mistake. The http://GreenGlueCompany.com website doesn't seem to
have any videos.

I saw them on YouTube. Go to http://YouTube.com and type "Green Glue" into
the search bar and lots of "how to" videos come up showing how use the
product.

From everything I have read and researched about Green Glue, yes, you just

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it
also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional
adhesive.

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:37:59 -0600, IGot2P wrote Re
Green Glue replaces adhesive:

What is green glue and what kind of sheets, bedsheets or sheetrock or
Homasote or ???????

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

Looks like a scam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jay-T typed:
Oops, my mistake. The http://GreenGlueCompany.com website doesn't
seem to have any videos.

Critique, not a put-down, as I am interested in such products:

At the risk of raining on anyone's parade, I don't find much to recommend
that yet unless you happen to be the one selling it. The basic tenet is
maintaining resiliency of the materials in the transmission path plus added
external, non-glue items. I have to suspect that using GE Silicon I or II
for instance would likely meet or even likely exceed the stated results in
the tests and it also acts as a glue, and which contained absolutely no
methods or scopes (e.g. placement of sensors, etc.). In addition to that, a
microphone isn't the right equipment; a dBm calibrated sound meter however
of proper specs would be indicative of something.
There seems to be no hint of what materials it consists of, voc, cure
times before application, cleanup, toxicity or any of the other things one
would expect with such a material. If the information is there, it's well
hidden although I didn't spend hours running around the site looking for
what should be obviously visible and readily accessible but wasn't.

The one very important thing they did do right was to give a street address
and URL, phone and facsimile, so if I truly wanted to learn more I probably
could. And I always appreciate seeing things like "
"http://www.bbbonline.org/cks.asp?id=107020111551 " target="_blank" " of
course. They do appear to believe in their product but there are a few
coding errorsg, nothing serious.

I'm not saying the product is useless, nor that Silicone is for sure an
equivalent/better albeit less expensive choice, because adhesive strength
may vary greatly, but I am saying I think a lot of relevant information is
missing in that and other areas.
Although the site is written at a layman's level of expertise, on the
other hand it does nothing to help the inexperienced know what a deciBel is,
never even mentions dBm, reference controls or any other type of serious
data management related to sound pressure. Then there is the fact that there
is no data at all beyond the 5 kHz frequency and after resonant low
frequencies, high frequencies are the hardest to mechanically filter out in
some cases. Singing and several annoyances can occur above the 5 KHz point
and IMO also needs to be considered in the type of designs they discuss.

My background and experience, FWIW which isn't a lot, includes the design
and construction of sound rooms for electronic organs in test at overal
sound pressures in excess of 100 dBm, the thershold of pain for the average
human ear.

Just my 2 ¢; it's an interesting area of science. Since it's apparently a
new site I've marked it for a visit per month to see if it improves any with
time, which is entirely possible.
If it happens to be your site, perhaps these words will have been of some
help to you. Besides the spam flames you'll also likely receive, that isg.

Twayne

I saw them on YouTube. Go to http://YouTube.com and type "Green
Glue" into the search bar and lots of "how to" videos come up showing
how use the product.

"Jay-T" wrote in message
From everything I have read and researched about Green Glue, yes,
you just use the Green Glue as the only adhesive. It has
soundproofing properties. I assume that you mean between 2 sheet of
drywall or other material that you want to attach together and you
want to create some soundproofing in the process.

The http://GreenGlueCompany.com website has videos to show how to
use it. "Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two
sheets it also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the
conventional adhesive.

Thanks,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
In ,
Jay-T typed:
Oops, my mistake. The http://GreenGlueCompany.com website doesn't
seem to have any videos.

Critique, not a put-down, as I am interested in such products:

At the risk of raining on anyone's parade, I don't find much to recommend
that yet unless you happen to be the one selling it. ....
......,
If it happens to be your site, perhaps these words will have been of some
help to you. Besides the spam flames you'll also likely receive, that
isg.

Twayne

It's not my website and I don't know who the Green Glue people are.

You suggested maybe just using Silicone I or Silicone II. I don't think
they are adhesives -- I think they are 100% silicone caulk, but have very
little adhesive quality. If I thought that Silicone I or II had good
adhesive qualities I would be using it for a project I have recently thought
about doing.

I found the Green Glue website and YouTube videos when I was recently
looking into the idea of attaching sheets of drywall to a party wall between
two houses to try to reduce the transmission of sound between the two
dwelling units. I haven't tried it, and it is expensive -- about 5 times
the cost of 100% silicone caulk (I or II).

I only posted what I did in response to the OP's question which was the
following:

"Am I correct in thinking that if I use Green Glue between two sheets it
also acts as an adhesive and that I should not use the conventional
adhesive."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay-T wrote:
[...]

they have a LOT of adhesive qualities. sign people sometimes use them to
stick up exterior signs. i used some to mount some glass art on aluminium
standoffs. the glass panels weigh about 6 lbs each, mounted on 2"x3"
standoffs screwed to the wall over my fireplace.

the trick is to not use a solid layer of silicone, but to leave air gaps.
press together, and don't touch or move the joint for at least 24 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 7:42 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 17:49:14 -0600, "Doug Brown"

wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message
Jay-T wrote:
"news.eternal-september.org" wrote in message
they have a LOT of adhesive qualities. sign people sometimes use them
stick up exterior signs. i used some to mount some glass art on
aluminium
standoffs. the glass panels weigh about 6 lbs each, mounted on 2"x3"
standoffs screwed to the wall over my fireplace.

the trick is to not use a solid layer of silicone, but to leave air
gaps.
press together, and don't touch or move the joint for at least 24
hours.
Also remember that all glass aquariums are made with nothing but glass
and
RTV quality silicone sealer/caulk.

Yeah, go ahead and use RTV silicone sealer in an aquarium. Then figure
out why all your fish are dead.

The silicone used for aquariums is SPECIALLY FORMULATED for that use.

I've built a lot of aquariums using GE clear silicone. Nothing special
about that and no, the fish didn't die.

And I've built over 100 aquaria using either an RTV silicone, GE or whatever
I could find. No fish deaths attributable to the sealer.