Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How remove adhesive glue on tile floor?

Removed lynolium tiles that were stuck to a tile floor. Now I am left
with some very stick glue on my tiles. Any recommendations on what
would be the best solution to remove the glue?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 20, 10:37*am, Albert wrote:
Removed lynolium tiles that were stuck to a tile floor. *Now I am left
with some very stick glue on my tiles. *Any recommendations on what
would be the best solution to remove the glue?

Heat will soften the glue. This might allow you to scrape it up.
Another solution might be to cool it with dry ice so that it becomes
brittle and is scraped up more easily. Other than that (scraping or
mechanical means), the only other way is to try an use a solvent to
dissolve it. Not knowing the exact glue used, I'd hate to recommend a
solvent. Some are dangerous from skin contact, others can make you
sick from breathing the fumes. Almost all are flammable so you have
to be careful that there are no ignition sources nearby.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/20/2009 8:37 AM Albert spake thus:

Removed lynolium tiles that were stuck to a tile floor. Now I am left
with some very stick glue on my tiles. Any recommendations on what
would be the best solution to remove the glue?

Just one question: what exactly is *non*-adhesive glue? Oh, you mean
that cheap stuff that doesn't work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"me" wrote:

Reminds me of an oh sh#$ story - something involving lynolium floor,
adhesive, mineral spirits, a gas water heater in the room next door,
and a
fire extinguisher (in that order). Bad combination - things were
pretty
exciting for a minute or so - i've never been so scared.

There are many stories of both cabinet makers doing a kitchen cabinet
re-face in the kitchen with toluene based adhesive and also carpet
and/or linoleum installers using VOC based adhesives in homes with
natural gas fired appliances equipped with standing pilot lights.

Typical scenario.

Workman would forget to turn off pilot lights before starting job.

Sooner or later fumes found open flame and BANG.

Workman either got burned badly or killed.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 20, 11:37*am, Albert wrote:
Removed lynolium tiles that were stuck to a tile floor. *Now I am left
with some very stick glue on my tiles. *Any recommendations on what
would be the best solution to remove the glue?

Albert,

I found the best way is to use the scraper blade on the Fein Multi
Mastertool, see this site:

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/us/en/main/

It brings all the glue up, no problem. Now this tool is expensive (I
think I paid around $300), but I think Dremel just came out with a
clone of this thing that has to be a lot cheaper. See this site:

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/stories/...Multi-Max.aspx

Good Luck!

Woodchuck