Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Glue/Adhesive Would Work Best To Do This?????

I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or could I
expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds pull)? I am
not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know if glue
bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate different
size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable that they
will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

thanks for any help

Posted to rec.woodworking

buck wrote:
I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using

clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions

are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or

could I
expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds

pull)? I am
not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know

if glue
bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate

different
size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable

that they
will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

Epoxy.

After that, everything else is down hill.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"buck" wrote in
ervers.com:

I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using
clamps for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions
are...... Would Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really
strong bond or could I expect them to come apart fairly easy under
weight (300 pounds pull)?

IF you have good mating surfaces

and

IF the thing you are gluing up isn't going to spend the rest of its life
underwater or out in the rain all day

then any of the Titebonds will be more than adequate.

What the hell are you building?

Scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:15:41 -0600, "buck"
wrote:

I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or could I
expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds pull)? I am
not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know if glue
bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate different
size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable that they
will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

thanks for any help

All depends on how the two pieces are glued together. Glue surface
area and grain direction are important. Is there a chance the joint
should get wet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to all so far.... Good stuff! No, the wood won't be getting wet.
Hey Lew.... What kind of epoxy? I will be having to brush it on in large
volumes so can't be too expensive. I can get a gallon of Titebond for less
than $20. Sorry Scott..... Can't tell you.... LOL. With good adhesives,
will the bond break before the wood, or will wood splinter first.... Doug
fir in question.

-thanks

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or could I
expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds pull)? I am
not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know if glue
bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate different
size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable that they
will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

thanks for any help

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Thanks to all so far.... Good stuff! No, the wood won't be getting wet.
Hey Lew.... What kind of epoxy? I will be having to brush it on in large
volumes so can't be too expensive. I can get a gallon of Titebond for
less than $20. Sorry Scott..... Can't tell you.... LOL. With good
adhesives, will the bond break before the wood, or will wood splinter
first.... Doug fir in question.

-thanks

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or could
I expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds pull)? I
am not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know if
glue bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate
different size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable
that they will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

thanks for any help

Since douglas fir is rather weak in the cross grain direction, my bet is on
the wood breaking first.
No matter which glue you use.
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

buck wrote:

Hey Lew.... What kind of epoxy? I will be having to brush it on in

large
volumes so can't be too expensive. I can get a gallon of Titebond

for less
than $20.

Any good laminating epoxy will work just fine.

Do a Google for "west+system" which will get you to the Gougeon
Brothers site.

MAS & System 3 are other suppliers.

Cost is relative.

$20-$30 worth of epoxy will mean you will sleep well at night.

How big an area is the surface to be glued?

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

buck
Hey what are you building ???? Just gotta know lololol
"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or could I
expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds pull)? I am
not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know if glue
bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate different
size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable that they
will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

thanks for any help

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Jim and Lew..... Will check out the epoxy too.
-Over and Out!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"buck"
With good adhesives, will the bond break before the wood, or will wood
splinter first.... Doug fir in question.

-thanks

If it is long grain to long grain, titebond will be more than sufficient.
If weather or moisture is going to be a problem, I would use polyurethane
(Gorilla Glue). If direct contact with siginificant amounts of water, then
1, DougFir would not be my choice, and I would epoxy the bond.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave...... It will be long grain and no weather or moisture problem
involved....... thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

buck wrote:
Thanks to all so far.... Good stuff! No, the wood won't be getting
wet. Hey Lew.... What kind of epoxy? I will be having to brush it on
in large volumes so can't be too expensive. I can get a gallon of
Titebond for less than $20. Sorry Scott..... Can't tell you.... LOL.
With good adhesives, will the bond break before the wood, or will
wood splinter first.... Doug fir in question.

Assuming the pieces being glued have reasonably mating surfaces, any of the
TiteBond glues will work just fine. Wood will break before glue line.

About the cheapest you'll find epoxy is around $60/gal. Two very nice
things about epoxy...surfaces don't have to be perfect (better if they
aren't) and clamping isn't needed. Being viscous, epoxy bridges
imperfections well; however, after wetting out both surfaces, I like to mix
in some Cabosil (fumed silica) so it is about the consistency of mayonnaise
then spread on one surface before weighting or clamping. Actual clamping
isn't necessary, just some way to hold the wood in position until the epoxy
sets up some hours later. Even masking tape is fine.

You said you didn't want to use screws/nails...is that because you don't
want metal in the wood or holes? If the former and you don't use epoxy (I
wouldn't), you can always screw them together and take out the screws later.
If you are short of clamps another alternative is to make them by cutting
off rings from PVC pipe of the appropriate diameter then cutting a slit with
hand/band saw in each ring...easy to make dozens of "C" clamps. Not real
strong (varies with ring width & diameter) but you can make up for that by
using lots of them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
buck wrote:
[...]

dadiOH..... Thanks for some good ideas......

Plagiarism Kirk Woodturning 118 March 9th 05 12:04 PM
How to find a good contractor? Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 March 1st 05 05:06 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:50 PM
Garage Door Work question Rich Greenberg Home Ownership 0 August 6th 03 01:12 AM