Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default What Glue/Adhesive Would Work Best To Do This?????

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Thanks to all so far.... Good stuff! No, the wood won't be getting wet.
Hey Lew.... What kind of epoxy? I will be having to brush it on in large
volumes so can't be too expensive. I can get a gallon of Titebond for
less than $20. Sorry Scott..... Can't tell you.... LOL. With good
adhesives, will the bond break before the wood, or will wood splinter
first.... Doug fir in question.

-thanks

"buck" wrote in message
ervers.com...
I have two 4"x 6"x4' fir pieces that I want to glue together "using clamps
for 24 hrs" and NOT use any screws or nails. My questions are...... Would
Titebond II or III or an equivalent provide a really strong bond or could
I expect them to come apart fairly easy under weight (300 pounds pull)? I
am not really familiar with the newest glues/adhesives. I don't know if
glue bonds are stronger than the wood or not. I am trying to laminate
different size wood together..... but I have to feel somewhat comfortable
that they will not come apart easily.......ie glue 2x4 to a 2x6 to a 4x6
etc.......don't ask :~)

thanks for any help

Since douglas fir is rather weak in the cross grain direction, my bet is on
the wood breaking first.
No matter which glue you use.
Jim