Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snowblower Storage - Is this Safe?

I just got my snowblower back for repairs. It had a blocked carburetor.

Two days after I got it home I noticed it was leaking gas/oil. This is
a two-cycle machine. Even after using it, it still leaks.

I called the company who worked on it, and they are closed until
January 4th.

Until I can get it in for repairs, I have moved the machine from my
garage to my medium-sized shed. The gas fumes were entering my home.

The blower is leaking about a tablespoon of gas a day. Hopefully, it
will soon be empty.

I hate to store it outside due to the elements, but am wondering if this
could be a fire hazard when storing it inside the shed? The only thing
I store in the shed is two lawnmowers, Christmas decorations, rakes,
fertilizer, etc. I do have electrical outlets up high that I use for
lights, radio, etc.

I tend to be a worrier and don't want to burn the place down, so I
wanted to ask: Is this safe?

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Would it be safe from theft if you stored it outside with a tarp over it?
Sounds like a better idea than the shed.

And find a new repair shop whose entire staff doesn't vanish for 2 weeks
during snow blower season.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Kate wrote:
[...]

Not great, but if there is no source of open flame like a heater it'll
be highly unlikely to cause a problem.

I would recommend you ought to empty the tank, though, rather than let
it leak at that rate if you can't simply tighten a hose clamp or similar
to stop it. If nothing else, put a catch pan under it w/ kitty litter
or somesuch to absorb the spill and be able to dispose of it rather than
letting it soak into a floor...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Kate wrote:
[...]

Worrying is good... but snow blowers love the cold-- just like sled dogs
or polar bears. Put it behind your house to minimize drive-by
opportunistic burglary. Chain it to a big tree in you're concerned about
theft.

But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the
leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential
for a huge explosion...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
[...]

No, it isn't safe. It probably won't catch fire, but do you want to take
that chance?

Imagine there is a fire, and the insurance company finds out that you were
aware of a fitting leaking gasoline. Do you think they have a clause in
your policy exempting them from indemnity if you are aware of such a
situation?

Drain the gas from the tank, and find another company to do the repair.
Post a note in your local Craigslist with the name of the company that
returned your equipment dripping gasoline just before they went on vacation
for two weeks.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message

But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the
leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential for
a huge explosion...

Nonsense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:42:37 -0800, Kate wrote:

I just got my snowblower back for repairs. It had a blocked carburetor.

Two days after I got it home I noticed it was leaking gas/oil. This is
a two-cycle machine. Even after using it, it still leaks.

I called the company who worked on it, and they are closed until
January 4th.

-snip-

'Stuff' happens-- but unless you are completely thrilled with the
folks who 'fixed' it, you need a new mechanic anyway. To err is
human- but to take the end of December off in snow country is
unforgivable. Hope you're not in the central east coast.

Find a new mechanic and have them fix it and then you send the other
folks the bill. [chances are real good it is a nut not tightened, or
a clamp not quite snug- a 5 minute job that most handyman can handle.]

I'm with the folks that say, in the meantime,
1. Get what gas you can out of it.
2. store it outside- uncovered.

Even if you don't blow your shed up, it will smell like gas for 20
years and make everything you store out there smell too.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 1:10*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Red" wrote in message

But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the
leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential for
a huge explosion...

Nonsense.

Agree. About the only way an explosion would occur would be by poking
a match under the tarp...I suppose if it is an electric start some
dimbulb might try to start it withoug removing the tarp first..

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

The OP might think so but I sure don't.

Don
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 16:10:06 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Red" wrote in message

But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the
leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential for
a huge explosion...

Nonsense.

I don't see an explosion happening- but a tarp over a snowblower is
unnecessary, promotes rust and gives a great dark place for rodents to
nest and mess up your machinery.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen, and done a lot worse. The pan of kitty litter
under the drip sounds like a first rate idea. Can you find
another shop? Ask your neighbors and friends at church and
work. See if anyone works on gas equipment. Likely a loose
hose, fitting, or something easy to tighten.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I believe so. Thanks, and I fully agree with your comment. The
problem is I live in a rural area and they are the only small engine
repair shop within a two-hour drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

The tank is almost empty, thank goodness, and I do have a pan underneat it.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Outside would be a lot better. Concentrated fumes are the real danger.
Outside, the fumes can dissapate.

Maybe you can figure out what is leaking. It might be as simple as a
hose clamp screw that wasn't tightened enough.

Alternately, you could simply drain all the gas out into a clean jar
or pan and then dump it into your gas can.

I have had two guys look at it. No luck. When I called the company
they said the entire carburetor would need to be taken a part again.
Apparently there is dirt affecting the needle. Not sure what this all
means, but I am taking it back on January 4th. Ugh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Wow, thanks for all the great replies.

I am taking it out of the shed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Kate wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jon. Good info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Red" wrote in message

But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the
leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential for
a huge explosion...

Nonsense.

Agree. About the only way an explosion would occur would be by poking
a match under the tarp...I suppose if it is an electric start some
dimbulb might try to start it withoug removing the tarp first..

Harry K

It is an electric start. I will move it outside. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"Red" wrote in message

But don't put a tarp over it as another poster said. The fumes from the
leaking gas will become trapped and concentrated making the potential for
a huge explosion...
Nonsense.

Agree. *About the only way an explosion would occur would be by poking
a match under the tarp...I suppose if it is an electric start some
dimbulb might try to start it withoug removing the tarp first..

Harry K

It is an electric start. *I will move it outside. *Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I would put it outside, but cover it partly, leave the bottom edges
open so the fumes can blow around, but keep it covered enuf so that
rain/snow doesn't get on/into it. Then, if you have to start it
before Jan 4, take the cover off and let it ventilate for about a
minute or so to waft away the gasoline fumes and then plug it in and
start it.. Take a look before you put it outside and see if you can
tell where the leak is coming from. Taking the whole carburetor apart
may be nonsense if it is simply the screws in the gas line or the nut
on the bottom of the carburetor that needs tightening. However, if
there is dirt inside the bowl that is keeping the float needle valve
from closing when the bowl fills with gasoline, then the bowl needs to
come off. But, that can be done without taking the whole carburetor
off the engine. I would sure try to find an alternate fixer, if you
live in a rural area, there must be some handymen/women around who
help their friends out rather than a two-hour drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 5:07�pm, Kate wrote:

It is an electric start. �I will move it outside. �Thanks..-

Whimp! It is only leaking 2 tablespoons a day. That isn't much at all.
Gas vaporates VERY rapidly. 2 tablespoons would burn ( in the slim
chance it cought fire) so quickly that nothing else would be affected.
Put a wide mouth glass jar under it to catch the gas. The wide mouth
will let it evaporate quicker. Hell, a saucer might even be better.
You won't have any problems.

In regards to the leak. They probably didn't clean your carb correctly
or they didn't clean your fuel system (gas tank and lines). If dirt
got inside your carb, there is dirt/rust in your tank or some foreign
material in your tank. when you get the carb cleaned again, make sure
they clean the whole system. Look inside your tank a the bottom, is
there rust? Debris? Anything but gas?

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call friends and neighbors. Someone out there must have some
small engine experience.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message

Yes, I believe so. Thanks, and I fully agree with your
comment. The
problem is I live in a rural area and they are the only
small engine
repair shop within a two-hour drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds as if you have a Tecumseh carb. I do also, on my
Toro (which is a gas oil mixer). I cut some fuel line out,
and put an inline fuel filter. The problem I had, the old
gas had some specks of black floating around, and the
machine would clog and stop running. The fuel filter was one
of the best things I've done, repair wise.

I'd be sure to ask for them to cut some fuel line out, and
install a fuel filter.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message

I have had two guys look at it. No luck. When I called the
company
they said the entire carburetor would need to be taken a
part again.
Apparently there is dirt affecting the needle. Not sure
what this all
means, but I am taking it back on January 4th. Ugh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine, also. electric or pull. Usually only need the electric
for the first start of the season.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message

It is an electric start. I will move it outside. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd rather be safe, in a moment like this. The inside of the
motor housing is probably wet wtih gas, and full of fumes.

When looking into the gas tank, use a flash light not a
candle. (smile here).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message
On Dec 18, 5:07�pm, Kate wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Dec 18, 5:07�pm, Kate wrote:

It is an electric start. �I will move it outside. �Thanks.-

Whimp! It is only leaking 2 tablespoons a day. That isn't much at all.
Gas vaporates VERY rapidly. 2 tablespoons would burn ( in the slim
chance it cought fire) so quickly that nothing else would be affected.
Put a wide mouth glass jar under it to catch the gas. The wide mouth
will let it evaporate quicker. Hell, a saucer might even be better.
You won't have any problems.

In regards to the leak. They probably didn't clean your carb correctly
or they didn't clean your fuel system (gas tank and lines). If dirt
got inside your carb, there is dirt/rust in your tank or some foreign
material in your tank. when you get the carb cleaned again, make sure
they clean the whole system. Look inside your tank a the bottom, is
there rust? Debris? Anything but gas?

Hank

I had to move it outside. The fumes were getting into my home when
stored inside my garage. I moved it to the shed, and after one hour the
odor was horrible.

Thanks for the tips. I need all the help I can get. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
It sounds as if you have a Tecumseh carb. I do also, on my
Toro (which is a gas oil mixer). I cut some fuel line out,
and put an inline fuel filter. The problem I had, the old
gas had some specks of black floating around, and the
machine would clog and stop running. The fuel filter was one
of the best things I've done, repair wise.

I'd be sure to ask for them to cut some fuel line out, and
install a fuel filter.

I love this group. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
wrote:
[...]

"Dirt" affecting the "needle" won't make a carb leak.

Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is showing a part
taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is saying:
"There's a lot we still don't understand about carburetors..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be happy to look at it. You near Rochester, NY?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
It sounds as if you have a Tecumseh carb. I do also, on my
Toro (which is a gas oil mixer). I cut some fuel line out,
and put an inline fuel filter. The problem I had, the old
gas had some specks of black floating around, and the
machine would clog and stop running. The fuel filter was
one
of the best things I've done, repair wise.

I'd be sure to ask for them to cut some fuel line out, and
install a fuel filter.

I love this group. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tecumseh carbs use a needle and seat, to allow gas into the
float bowl. If there is dirt in the needle / seat, the
gasoline can flow into the carb, and out the air cleaner.

(Voice of experience.)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
news Kate wrote:
I have had two guys look at it. No luck. When I called
the company
they said the entire carburetor would need to be taken a
part again.
Apparently there is dirt affecting the needle. Not sure
what this all
means, but I am taking it back on January 4th. Ugh!

"Dirt" affecting the "needle" won't make a carb leak.

Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is
showing a part
taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is
saying:
"There's a lot we still don't understand about
carburetors..."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounding more like dirt in the fuel, and the needle and seat
isn't closing properly. Fairly simple fix.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

"Kate" wrote in message

Yes, I believe so. Thanks, and I fully agree with your
comment. The
problem is I live in a rural area and they are the only
small engine
repair shop within a two-hour drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
"Dirt" affecting the "needle" won't make a carb leak.

It can- but it is also likely, since they said they rebuilt the carb,
that the new guy got the spring clip wrong;
http://www.williammaloney.com/Misc/T...gineFloods.htm

I wonder how much Kate paid them to screw up a rebuild- and how much
less it would have been to just replace the carb.

Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is showing a part
taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is saying:
"There's a lot we still don't understand about carburetors..."

good one

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:29:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Sounding more like dirt in the fuel, and the needle and seat
isn't closing properly. Fairly simple fix.

Can't we just shut off the fuel supply line? If the blower fuel line,
has such a valve..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
If the float is stuck and leaking, the carb may be so
flooded it won't run. Might have to pull the spark plug, and
give it a yank on the starter, to blow the excess gasoline
out the spark hole.

This little machine starts right up on the first push (electric start).
I will do further research.
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd be happy to look at it. You near Rochester, NY?

Ah your are sweet. No, Washington State.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 18:37:44 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is showing a part
taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is saying:
"There's a lot we still don't understand about carburetors..."

good one

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/smi0024l.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Kate wrote:
I just got my snowblower back for repairs. It had a blocked
carburetor.
Two days after I got it home I noticed it was leaking gas/oil. This
is a two-cycle machine. Even after using it, it still leaks.

I called the company who worked on it, and they are closed until
January 4th.

Until I can get it in for repairs, I have moved the machine from my
garage to my medium-sized shed. The gas fumes were entering my home.

You really need to seal the firewall between the house and the garage. If
some gas fumes can leak into the house and be noticed then carbon monoxide
can easily get in too and fire could easily penetrate the wall into the
house. Most building codes require the wall and/or ceiling to be reasonably
sealed with a one hour firebreak. If your local building code neglects this
specification, it is something you should do on your own for your family's
safety.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The smaller ones, I don't think they have a shut off. The
other plan is to wire the handle and let it run dry, a
couple days from now.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

Sounding more like dirt in the fuel, and the needle and
seat
isn't closing properly. Fairly simple fix.

Can't we just shut off the fuel supply line? If the blower
fuel line,
has such a valve..

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, about 9 AM tomorrow, then?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kate" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'd be happy to look at it. You near Rochester, NY?

Ah your are sweet. No, Washington State.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:42:37 -0800, Kate wrote:

I hate to store it outside due to the elements, but am wondering if this
could be a fire hazard when storing it inside the shed? The only thing
I store in the shed is two lawnmowers, Christmas decorations, rakes,
fertilizer, etc. I do have electrical outlets up high that I use for
lights, radio, etc.

I tend to be a worrier and don't want to burn the place down, so I
wanted to ask: Is this safe?

Many thanks.

Kate

It was 1963 and there are a lot more plastics now than there used to
be, but I put some gasoline in a disposable plastic bowl then, one
that came with food in it, and the gas dissolved the plastic. It
turned it into a puddle of plastic. Maybe fumes ccould damage your
xmas decorations??? Mine was translucent white stuff.

OT, sort of. Did you know that if you put rubber things on a
varnished (I think) dresser, the varnish will eat up the rubber?
This was a dresser that was 20 or 40 years old, and some swimming
goggles. I've seen it happen other times too.

Snowblower Frank[_5_] Home Repair 2 February 26th 08 03:41 AM
Fire Safe Standards, Water storage & Hydrant Hookup Scott Townsend Home Repair 0 July 26th 06 03:17 PM
Snowblower..... stoli Home Repair 3 October 30th 05 11:00 PM
Snowblower...? Ken Weitzel Electronics Repair 8 January 28th 05 03:37 PM
Snowblower Corinne Home Repair 0 January 6th 05 10:20 PM