Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Snowblower Storage - Is this Safe?

dpb wrote:
Kate wrote:
I just got my snowblower back for repairs. It had a blocked carburetor.

Two days after I got it home I noticed it was leaking gas/oil. This
is a two-cycle machine. Even after using it, it still leaks.

I called the company who worked on it, and they are closed until
January 4th.

Until I can get it in for repairs, I have moved the machine from my
garage to my medium-sized shed. The gas fumes were entering my home.

The blower is leaking about a tablespoon of gas a day. Hopefully, it
will soon be empty.

I hate to store it outside due to the elements, but am wondering if
this could be a fire hazard when storing it inside the shed? The only
thing I store in the shed is two lawnmowers, Christmas decorations,
rakes, fertilizer, etc. I do have electrical outlets up high that I
use for lights, radio, etc.

I tend to be a worrier and don't want to burn the place down, so I
wanted to ask: Is this safe?

Not great, but if there is no source of open flame like a heater it'll
be highly unlikely to cause a problem.

I would recommend you ought to empty the tank, though, rather than let
it leak at that rate if you can't simply tighten a hose clamp or similar
to stop it. If nothing else, put a catch pan under it w/ kitty litter
or somesuch to absorb the spill and be able to dispose of it rather than
letting it soak into a floor...

--

The tank is almost empty, thank goodness, and I do have a pan underneat it.

Thanks.