Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Snowblower Storage - Is this Safe?

Kate wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:42:37 -0800, Kate wrote:

I just got my snowblower back for repairs. It had a blocked
carburetor. Two days after I got it home I noticed it was leaking
gas/oil. This is a two-cycle machine. Even after using it, it still
leaks.

I called the company who worked on it, and they are closed until
January 4th.

Until I can get it in for repairs, I have moved the machine from my
garage to my medium-sized shed. The gas fumes were entering my home.

The blower is leaking about a tablespoon of gas a day. Hopefully,
it will soon be empty.

I hate to store it outside due to the elements, but am wondering if
this could be a fire hazard when storing it inside the shed? The
only thing I store in the shed is two lawnmowers, Christmas
decorations, rakes, fertilizer, etc. I do have electrical outlets
up high that I use for lights, radio, etc.

I tend to be a worrier and don't want to burn the place down, so I
wanted to ask: Is this safe?

Many thanks.

Kate

Outside would be a lot better. Concentrated fumes are the real
danger. Outside, the fumes can dissapate.

Maybe you can figure out what is leaking. It might be as simple as a
hose clamp screw that wasn't tightened enough.

Alternately, you could simply drain all the gas out into a clean jar
or pan and then dump it into your gas can.

I have had two guys look at it. No luck. When I called the company
they said the entire carburetor would need to be taken a part again.
Apparently there is dirt affecting the needle. Not sure what this all
means, but I am taking it back on January 4th. Ugh!

"Dirt" affecting the "needle" won't make a carb leak.

Still, I'm reminded of a cartoon where an auto mechanic is showing a part
taken from a doctor's Mercedes to the owner. The mechanic is saying:
"There's a lot we still don't understand about carburetors..."