Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Dual Saw -- anyone use one?

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

Next, when you grok the difference between a "conventional cut" and a
"climb
cut", post back -- maybe then we can have an intelligent conversation.

Something you clearly don't, EA. Those terms apply to end mills when
using the side of the cutter. Applied to a circular saw blade, they're
just meaningless technobabble used to weakly obfuscate your ignorance.

Uh, I am *not* going to get into this argument, but climb cutting and
conventional cutting apply to many types of cutting tools, including saw
blades. In fact, in production woodworking, there are ripping saws that
operate in the climb mode for the express purpose of avoiding tear-out.
They require fancy hold-downs and feed mechanisms for the workpieces, so
they don't go flying out of the saw. I've seen them, and I've written
about them, and I've had discussions with the blade makers about the
differences in the two types of blades.

Well, you are talking geometry to two assholes with cataracts bigger than
a golf ball.

Note, however, that RAS's climb cut de rigeur.... even tho, as I stated
previously, climb cutting on thick material in a RAS is a pita.
--
EA

I avoided bringing up radial arm saws because...well, because some people
laugh at radial arm saws for "real" woodworking. g

Not me! I do not want to get flamed by the RAS lovers of the world.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

Next, when you grok the difference between a "conventional cut" and a
"climb
cut", post back -- maybe then we can have an intelligent conversation.

Something you clearly don't, EA. Those terms apply to end mills when
using the side of the cutter. Applied to a circular saw blade, they're
just meaningless technobabble used to weakly obfuscate your ignorance.

Uh, I am *not* going to get into this argument,

Ed,

The real thrust of this whole thing, and the most important issue, is the
pre-meditated and essentially conspiratorial rip-off and mind**** these
companies put together, no doubt whilst laughing their effing heads off.
By taking things subtlely -- and not so subtlely -- out of context, and
hyping inconsequential and irrelevant differences, they wind up with very
impressive well-choreographed bull****, and consequently are able to rip off
the public to the tune of $$millions.

Take bleating RicodJour's links to the "real" dual saws -- just what does
dat **** have to do with a shop?
Well, everything, if you listen to con-men like Billy Mays.
I'll bet a good piece of the farm that that pos dual saw did not cut a truly
intact car in half, and if it did, I'm sure they went through about a dozen
of those saws and just as many blades. I'm sure even with that bull****
prop car, they went through multiple blades/motors.

It is really an interesting and, imo, *important* exercise to take something
like the dual saw mis-infomercial, and line-by-line, go through all the
misrepresentations -- from a purely analytic NON-hands-on pov, the very pov
that bleating RJ, with his little brain, bitches about.

It is really an important exercise in logic, analysis, science, marketing,
psychology, mass psychology, perception, and proly a few other things.
It is pretty brilliant -- AND diabolical -- how these marketing mutha****as
go about all this.

And, of course, reprehensible.
I personally believe this ilk of mis-infomercial qualifies for RICO
prosecution, as these misinformational campaigns are really ongoing
organized criminal enterprises.

A line-by-line analysis of the dual saw infomercial, or any of Tony Little's
****, or really any of these bull**** informercials would make for a very
illuminating and educational article -- should you be looking for new
subject.

--
EA

but climb cutting and
conventional cutting apply to many types of cutting tools, including saw
blades. In fact, in production woodworking, there are ripping saws that
operate in the climb mode for the express purpose of avoiding tear-out.
They require fancy hold-downs and feed mechanisms for the workpieces, so
they don't go flying out of the saw. I've seen them, and I've written
about them, and I've had discussions with the blade makers about the
differences in the two types of blades.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 10:15 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

Interesting. I've never heard of such a thing with a saw blade, and
DAGS to see if there was such a beast as a circular saw climb cut -
the search didn't turn up a single example in the first two pages of
results. Can you post a link to a climb cutting machine or something
you wrote about it?

I knew you'd ask that. g It was between 20 and 25 years ago; the story
was about using wirecut EDM to shape sinterred diamond compacts on the
cutters used in both metalworking (a minor use) and woodworking (the major
use), particularly on commercial spindle-shapers and routers. The
discussion about saw blades was peripheral to the subject, because EDM
isn't used to shape the edges of those.

All I can recall is this: In production rip-sawing, the issue is how the
cutter *exits* the cut, rather than how it enters. Apparently -- and this
is from memory -- saw blades used in commercial ripping just barely extend
through the top of the cut, so the re-entry isn't an issue. On the top
side of the work, it's almost the same whether you consider it climb- or
conventional-cutting. But it makes a big difference when the blade finally
leaves the bottom of the cut. If it's cutting when it comes out of the
workpiece, it's going to tear the edges of the cut, as any hobbyist
woodworker knows from conventional work with a table saw. In the
discussion, running the blade in the reverse direction of what most of us
condider the "conventional" one, in which the blade exits the work "not
cutting," was what they were calling "climb cutting," and apparently
that's the preferred mode for production. It requires friction drive and
hold-down rollers; the work is fed under power.

BTW, some commercial saws operate upside-down, with the blade(s) above the
work, so you might have to reverse "up" and "down" from this discussion.
That may just be for multi-blade ripping of lumber; I've never actually
seen one of those saws.

I never got involved in studying production woodworking except for that
single application, and it was because I covered tooling for a couple of
metalworking magazines and I had a client who made special wire EDMs for
that work, when I wasn't a staff editor.

Sorry I can't refer you to my article. That old stuff isn't archived
online and I wrote over 350 articles about metalworking and tooling, so I
don't remember where it ran.

In the machines you're talking about, the workpiece/sawblade is moving
in the opposite direction to the normal direction of movement. With
the Dual Saw type of saws, one of the counter rotating blades is
always moving opposite the 'normal' direction of movement - and in
fact that that is the primary reason the tool can get away without
hold downs and feed mechanisms (equal and opposite canceling and all
of that), and the reason that the tool shouldn't grab and kick, it
seems to me that the tool isn't climb cutting, so much as just
cutting. The adjectives canceled out. So is there really a climb cut
in such a tool?

A good question; I don't know about those saws. I hesitated to jump in
here at all, except to point out that there is something that is, or was,
called "climb cutting" in production sawing, and that it's similar to what
we mean by the term in metalworking, with milling cutters.

I will now go back to my nap. g

Well, Ed, if you can't provide a cite, it can't be true!! So now, you are a
bull****ter, just like me!!
Welcome to the club.

What's funny is, the asshole duo here, ****ty and his friend Rico, DID look
up climb cutting and STILL couldn't get the skinny!!
Why??

Well, in addition to having less than one complete brain between them, they
were so hot to discredit me, they basically didn't *want* to find anything.

What they want is some other asshole with some measured erudite "voice of
reason" to painfully and carefully test out bull****, write a big long
frigging "study", so they can quote/cite something so they themselves look
erudite, instead of just opening their own fukn eyes and thinking for their
own fukn selves.
Too much to ask.
Sheeit, they proly still believe in Cold fukn Fusion, because Fleischman and
Pons published a peer-reviewed article. Albeit a bull**** peer-reviewed
article, but that's OK for Rico and ****ty.

Bull**** is bull****. A ripoff is a ripoff. Deception is deception, and
malintent is malintent.
Flavor it all any way you want, apply whatever bull**** voice of reason you
want, it's still ripoff bull****, which, given the amount of it on the
airwaves, is affecting the very fabric of our culture.

Which is all way over the heads of these two assholes, and a cupla others
here.
**** them. Let them buy a dual saw.
--
EA

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

Er, ah....Jesus, of all of the things I'd want to investigate, get angry
about, and then write about, I think you've just given me one to file
between "exploitation of diabetic mice in medical research," and "new
slim-jim designs for car thieves."

I'll get there. If I live that long. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 10:15 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
"Existential Angst" wrote:

[...]

A suggestion: Why don't you take all of that ability you have and write
something really worthwhile with it? I know I'm the last one who should be
talking, arguing here about racism, birther bull****, and so on, but I have
an excuse. For me, it's a busman's holiday. g

Here's a good one. Do you get Harper's? My old friend Alan Tonelson wrote
the editorial this month (next month, actually; it's in the January issue),
about US manufacturing and globalism, and it's a smorgasbord of subjects to
pick up and write about. Anyone with some experience selling job-shop
services ought to see several ideas in Tonelson's overview. The metalworking
magazines would be interested, if you really think about it hard before
writing.

This is the lead, but it will cut you off if you don't have a subscription.
"Up from globalism":

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2010/01/0082768

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 2:38*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote

* A line-by-line analysis of the dual saw infomercial, or any of Tony
Little's
****, or really any of these bull**** informercials would make for a very
illuminating and educational article -- should you be looking for new
subject. * *

You can count me in as a viewer of InfomercialBusters, just like
MythBusters. *Could be some interesting ****.

To what end? There's no argument that the majority of the stuff you
find on infomercials is targeted at insomniacs that are awake in the
middle of the night and buying something, anything!, lets them feel
like they're doing something useful. But "debunking" an infomercial
is an exercise in futility. Watching an infomercial is a waste of
time, and MythBusting them would be an even bigger waste.

The angst-ridden one seems to believe that we should be living in a
perfect world, and he can fix this one if only people will listen to
him. That way lies madness.

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about
the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things
to get upset about. At least for sane people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about
the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things
to get upset about. At least for sane people.
==========

Two products that live up to the informercial hype, and more. G2 Swivel
Sweeper and NuWave Oven. Both terrific products. Two products that are a
complete waste of money. Steam Zapper and Perfect Pancake Maker.

Cheri

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Cheri wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about
the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things
to get upset about. At least for sane people.
==========

Two products that live up to the informercial hype, and more. G2 Swivel
Sweeper and NuWave Oven. Both terrific products. Two products that are a
complete waste of money. Steam Zapper and Perfect Pancake Maker.

Cheri

I guess Sham-Wows are in the middle?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"cavelamb" wrote in message

I guess Sham-Wows are in the middle?

They are actually good product, especially when you get them at half the
price at Ocean State Job Lot. I'm sure a store near you has them too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 15:35:01 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message

I guess Sham-Wows are in the middle?

They are actually good product, especially when you get them at half the
price at Ocean State Job Lot. I'm sure a store near you has them too.

Can they really suck up Coke off the floor under a piece of carpet?
Through the carpet, and leave the underside bone-dry, like in the
commercial?

I have a coworker who has a couple of them, and when I asked him that, he
just scowled at me and went back to his Bridgeport.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Cheri" wrote in message
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Getting upset about
the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things
to get upset about. At least for sane people.
==========

Two products that live up to the informercial hype, and more. G2 Swivel
Sweeper and NuWave Oven. Both terrific products.

Well, I hope you enjoyed paying 4x the normal price, as much as you enjoy
the products.
Billy Mays died in a mansion, donchaknow.

Speaking of 4x the price, think Dyson.... vs. regular ole Hoover -- oh, and
lest RicodJour bind up his panties again, this is according to Consumer
Reports -- fwiw.
Ditto Oreck, whose customer svc and parts are but another scam.
Ditto Bose.... etc.
The common theme to all these over-priced middling-to-under-quality items:
head-pounding marketing.
--
EA

Two products that are a
complete waste of money. Steam Zapper and Perfect Pancake Maker.

Cheri

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Dec 15, 10:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 2:38 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

You can count me in as a viewer of InfomercialBusters, just like
MythBusters. Could be some interesting ****.

To what end? *There's no argument that the majority of the stuff you
find on infomercials is targeted at insomniacs that are awake in the
middle of the night and buying something, anything!, lets them feel
like they're doing something useful. *But "debunking" an infomercial
is an exercise in futility. *Watching an infomercial is a waste of
time, and MythBusting them would be an even bigger waste.

The angst-ridden one seems to believe that we should be living in a
perfect world, and he can fix this one if only people will listen to
him. *That way lies madness.

Everything should be taken with a grain of salt. *Getting upset about
the inequity of a _commercial_ seems pretty low on the list of things
to get upset about. *At least for sane people.

So, are you saying that before I have a thought or take any action in my
life, I should run it by you first? *Is that what you are saying, Sparky?

Not at all. You are of course well able to choose how you spend your
time. Please feel free to start your infomercial MythBusting dweeb
site. I'm sure watching programs in the wee hours of the morning that
you know are selling to suckers, and then investigating, debunking the
claims, and posting the results, will improve your life immeasurably.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 2:38 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Cheri" wrote in message
"RicodJour" wrote in message

[...]

I'm sorry, but in order to think this, you must have RicodJour's WRITTEN
permission. You have gone entirely out of bounds on this one. The
consequences will be severe.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
On Dec 15, 2:38 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

No, I believe that the next action I take will improve my life just somewhat

plink! bye.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

news
"cavelamb" wrote in message

I guess Sham-Wows are in the middle?

They are actually good product, especially when you get them at half the
price at Ocean State Job Lot. I'm sure a store near you has them too.

Can they really suck up Coke off the floor under a piece of carpet?
Through the carpet, and leave the underside bone-dry, like in the
commercial?

I have a coworker who has a couple of them, and when I asked him that, he
just scowled at me and went back to his Bridgeport.

Thanks,
Rich

Never tried that, but they do hold moisture well, are good for spills I've
had and for drying the car. They do those jobs much better than a regular
cloth rag or paper towel.

Dual-saw terry Home Repair 6 December 4th 09 02:17 AM
Dual Sim Mobiles - Buy n compare Dual Sim Mobile Phone | Mobiles Shopping-Online Electronics Repair 0 October 14th 08 07:39 AM
Dual drill bit? Robert Dunham II Metalworking 8 March 15th 08 05:44 PM
Looking for dual FET (I think...) [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 26th 07 03:46 PM
Dual drill Grumps UK diy 15 April 21st 05 07:37 AM