Grumps

Default Dual drill

I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a
wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It was
an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the head
to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had one
chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it
sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79.
I'm not thinking of getting one, but just wondered what you lot thought.

Doctor Evil

"Grumps" wrote in message

I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a
wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It

was
an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the head
to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had one
chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it
sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79.
I'm not thinking of getting one, but just wondered what you lot thought.

£40 will get you a decent drill. May as a well get two £40 drills with two
chargers and batteries. Pick one up when you want it. No contest, two it
is.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Grumps

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message

I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a
wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It

was
an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the

head
to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had

one
chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it
sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79.
I'm not thinking of getting one, but just wondered what you lot thought.

£40 will get you a decent drill. May as a well get two £40 drills with two
chargers and batteries. Pick one up when you want it. No contest, two it
is.

Although I already have two drills, I think the point is that with this dual
drill you don't need to carry two.
Haven't I seen other postings from you that suggest two is better than one?
On the topic of combis IIRC.

Doctor Evil

"Grumps" wrote in message

[...]

Sir,

I will have you know a combi is not a drill.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
John Rumm

Doctor Evil wrote:

Sir,

I will have you know a combi is not a drill.

Err, think you will find it is...

i.e Combi drill Vs Drill/Driver

To the OP, 80 quid would actually by a decent drill driver and a
magnetic bit holder. Will probably do any job a whole lot better than
going for a "gimmick" drill.

--
Cheers,

John.

Stefek Zaba

Doctor Evil wrote:

I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a
wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It
was an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the head
to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had one
chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it
sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79.
I'm not thinking of getting one, but just wondered what you lot thought.

£40 will get you a decent drill. May as a well get two £40 drills with two
chargers and batteries. Pick one up when you want it. No contest, two it
is.

Hard though it is to say this... I think I agree with IMM here.

The 80 quid is buying you one motor, one charger, whatever nr of
batteries, and an extra bit of gears, swivels, and general cruft to go
wrong. You're well better off with two simpler tools. For that budget,
I'd spend 25 on tne little Bosch electrickle screwdriver - the Ixo, I
think they call it - and the balance of 50-60 notes on a midrange
cordless drill. Keep screwdriving bits in the screwdriver, use the drill
for drilling and driving bigger screws; less fagging about changing bits
this way.

Stefek
Doctor Evil

"Stefek Zaba" wrote in message
Doctor Evil wrote:

[...]

I would have two identical drills, so the batteries are interchangeable.
There are some good deals around at the mo'. Wickes have some good deals.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Rusty

These have been on German TV shopping channels
http://www.vector-versand.de/vector/...ual_drill.html
as was posted here a couple of months ago. UK is just a bit retarded.

Rusty

Andrew McKay

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:59:34 +0100, "Grumps"
wrote:

I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a
wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It was
an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the head
to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had one
chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it
sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79.

Think about it. 18v cordless. So you will be running the battery flat
in half the time. Screwdriving with a drill sucks power out of the
battery like nothing else.

Forget it. The term "gimmick" comes to mind. If you really need the
ability for two different drill heads then the answer is simple - buy
two drills.

Andrew

--

Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 07:51:27 +0100, Andrew McKay
wrote:

Think about it. 18v cordless. So you will be running the battery flat
in half the time. Screwdriving with a drill sucks power out of the
battery like nothing else.

Forget it. The term "gimmick" comes to mind. If you really need the
ability for two different drill heads then the answer is simple - buy
two drills.

And hope the one you aren't using stays on the top step of the ladder
etc?

I say the presentation (or part of it) just now and it looks like a
good *idea*.

Not sure if the 80 get's you a good drill though but I'm sure it will
catch on and I'm sure you will all buy one once your favourite brand
makes it ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Pilot drill .. wizz done, clearance drill .. oh I've left it at the
bottom of the ladder ...

Grumps wrote:
I've not seen these before, but my daughter just called me to watch a
wonderful (yeah right) presentation on one of the shopping channels. It was
an 18v cordless drill, but it had two chucks and you could swivel the head
to select which chuck you wanted. One of the ideas being that you had one
chuck loaded with a drill, and the other a screwdriver bit. Thought it
sounded quite a reasonable idea. £79.
I'm not thinking of getting one, but just wondered what you lot thought.

Probably much easier and cheaper to buy two separate drills.

--
Chris Green
Chris Bacon

Rusty wrote:
These have been on German TV shopping channels
http://www.vector-versand.de/vector/...ual_drill.html
as was posted here a couple of months ago. UK is just a bit retarded.

I don't like the look of these at all. Get a couple of cheapies, you
will get four batteries, two crargers, two drill-drivers...
John Rumm

T i m wrote:

Pilot drill .. wizz done, clearance drill .. oh I've left it at the
bottom of the ladder ...

Get one (or two) of those leather posing pouches / holsters for the
drill then you wont have a problem.

Or failing that go for the technique your mum used to stop you losing
your mittens - a string up one arm and down the other, tied to a drill
at each end ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

RichardS

"John Rumm" wrote in message
T i m wrote:

Pilot drill .. wizz done, clearance drill .. oh I've left it at the
bottom of the ladder ...

Get one (or two) of those leather posing pouches / holsters for the
drill then you wont have a problem.

Or failing that go for the technique your mum used to stop you losing
your mittens - a string up one arm and down the other, tied to a drill
at each end ;-)

hmmm, do you feel another piece of DrIvel art coming on???

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:45:25 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Pilot drill .. wizz done, clearance drill .. oh I've left it at the
bottom of the ladder ...

Get one (or two) of those leather posing pouches / holsters for the
drill then you wont have a problem.

everybody "Y M C A" .. ;-)

Or failing that go for the technique your mum used to stop you losing
your mittens - a string up one arm and down the other, tied to a drill
at each end ;-)

Now THAT might work ..;-) (not lost the gloves since!)

All the best ..

T i m