Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FYI - Ladder Stand-off/Stabilizer

Needed one to do some fascia board peaks. Picked this up on line for
35.50 (price when called order in) + $8 shipping UPS. They shipped the
day I ordered and had it in 2 days. Thing that attracted me to this one
was that depth is adjustable from 13-25".

Never had one of these. Worth every penny. All the times/years of trying
to work directly above my head while ****ting pants.

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...2&categoryID=0

Actual pic of unit in use. Set about half way depth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/29xu0dw.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:54:51 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Needed one to do some fascia board peaks. Picked this up on line for
35.50 (price when called order in) + $8 shipping UPS. They shipped the
day I ordered and had it in 2 days. Thing that attracted me to this one
was that depth is adjustable from 13-25".

Never had one of these. Worth every penny. All the times/years of trying
to work directly above my head while ****ting pants.

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...2&categoryID=0

Actual pic of unit in use. Set about half way depth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/29xu0dw.jpg

This cool season we will fix/prep/prime/paint our fascia boards. I
found this tool*. Dang, I won't stand on a ladder for a long time.

For me this may be a perfect tool on top-a-ladder. Reports pending..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXARDjhxaU

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
news

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...ID=652&categor
yID=0

Actual pic of unit in use. Set about half way depth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/29xu0dw.jpg

This cool season we will fix/prep/prime/paint our fascia boards. I
found this tool*. Dang, I won't stand on a ladder for a long time.

For me this may be a perfect tool on top-a-ladder. Reports pending..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXARDjhxaU

Just looks like another sanding gimmick to me where all the minuses are
learned with use. Will be interested in your actual usage report.

The guy in the vid (actor representing owner I assume) deserves the
misery he's having for letting that house go so long. Point of pure
neglect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:48:10 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
news
wrote:

[...]

It could be a gimmick, but I kind of doubt it. I looked at it last
year and thought it was a DeWalt. Went back today and found it was a
Wagner unit.

What I want to do, it is reasonable. I can always sell it on
Craigslist, new, once removed. Or next month in a yard sell.

Still I like your idea of ladder support.

The guy in the vid (actor representing owner I assume) deserves the
misery he's having for letting that house go so long. Point of pure
neglect.

Plenty of houses now days need fixin'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Needed one to do some fascia board peaks. Picked this up on line for
35.50 (price when called order in) + $8 shipping UPS. They shipped the
day I ordered and had it in 2 days. Thing that attracted me to this one
was that depth is adjustable from 13-25".

Never had one of these. Worth every penny. All the times/years of trying
to work directly above my head while ****ting pants.

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...2&categoryID=0

That's a great price if you're in the right place. They would have
charged me $40 for shipping. Mcmaster Carr shipped me one for $72,
delivered a couple years ago.

I don't know if it is 'getting old enough to know that '****' could
happen to you', getting too stiff to maneuver comfortably, just
getting smarter, or not being on a ladder often enough anymore. . ..
But I'm with you- they make ladder work a whole lot more enjoyable.

My property is on a slope that makes eaves work a real joy- so I also
got a set of leg extensions that year. They add a bit to the weight
of that ladder-- but also reduce the fear of dying by gravity.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 7:44*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

My property is on a slope that makes eaves work a real joy- so I also
got a set of leg extensions that year. * *They add a bit to the weight
of that ladder-- but also reduce the fear of dying by gravity.

Gravity doesn't kill you on this planet. It's the sudden change in
acceleration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Oren,

This cool season we will fix/prep/prime/paint our fascia boards. I
found this tool*. Dang, I won't stand on a ladder for a long time.
For me this may be a perfect tool on top-a-ladder. Reports pending..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXARDjhxaU

My wife and I just finished prepping and painting my in-laws house that
had been neglected for many years (due to their poor health). There were
numerous layers of peeling paint, and it was in much much worse condition
than the one in the video above.

I looked at one of those stripper tools at Home Depot, but couldn't
justify the price tag for a one time job. Then I found the same mesh disc
on a wheel that fit my 4" grinder for about one fourth the price (with
the other grinder wheels and sanding disks).

Good News: Yes, it works great for removing the paint and leaving the
wood underneath untouched. I TRIED to sand into the wood on a scrap piece
of siding and it had very little effect. It doesn't clog with paint like
my random orbit sander did, and it even worked well for getting up under
the bottom edge of each row of siding.

Bad News: It wears out quickly. We finished "maybe" a 10'x12' area and
the disk was too worn to continue using it. At something close to $20
for the disk, that would get pricy quickly.

I tried my random orbit sander with 60 and 80 grit papers, but it clogged
quickly and was just too slow.

In the end, the best tool we found was an 80 grit "flap-disk" sanding
wheel that fit my 4" angle grinder. It didn't clog like my RO sander and
was much faster. However, you CAN sand right through the wood if you get
too agressive with it. This actually worked well in our case where we
were trying to blend some old siding with new siding. But it's pretty
easy to get the hang of it without damaging anything. They cost about $5-
$8 depending on where you buy them. We used three on the entire house.

Of course, removing any loose paint you can with a good scraper really
helps reduce the work needed with the flap-disk (making it last longer).

DO NOT use a pressure washer on the house. It's easy to damage the siding
itself, but more importantly will force water into the wood, and
potentially into the walls (a problem for us, since there is no sheathing
under the siding of my in-laws 100 year old house).

If you have the time, I recommend going all the way down to bare wood.
We "thought" we had done a thorough job of prepping the walls, but the
rough layers of paint were still quite visible in many areas. Considering
the condition the house was in it's not a big deal, but it sucks to put
that much work in and not have it perfect.

Good luck. It's dirty work with no reward until you actually prime and
repaint. Even with safety glasses and dust masks you end up covered in
paint dust from head to toe.

Have Fun,

Anthony

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...ctID=652&categ....

Actual pic of unit in use. Set about half way depth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/29xu0dw.jpg

I bought the non-adjustable style of a stabilizer just prior to
replacing my windows, thinking I would have to do a lot of the work
from outside the house. Turned out I never needed it as I was able to
do just about all of the work from inside.

I did install it to test and it does work. Unfortunately, the most use
my extension ladder gets is when cleaning the gutters and I can't use
it for that job. I need to lean the ladder on the gutters so I can get
above them so I can't use the stabilizer.

I wonder if 25" would be enough offset so that if I mounted it low
enough I could still climb high enough to get above the gutters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Needed one to do some fascia board peaks. Picked this up on line for
35.50 (price when called order in) + $8 shipping UPS. They shipped the
day I ordered and had it in 2 days. Thing that attracted me to this one
was that depth is adjustable from 13-25".

Never had one of these. Worth every penny. All the times/years of trying
to work directly above my head while ****ting pants.

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...ctID=652&categ....

Actual pic of unit in use. Set about half way depth.

http://i38.tinypic.com/29xu0dw.jpg

This cool season we will fix/prep/prime/paint our fascia boards. I
found this tool*. Dang, I won't *stand on a ladder for a long time.

For me this may be a perfect tool on top-a-ladder. Reports pending..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqXARDjhxaU

Where's the 18V version so I don't have to fight an extension cord
while I'm on the ladder?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:

Needed one to do some fascia board peaks. Picked this up on line for
35.50 (price when called order in) + $8 shipping UPS. They shipped the
day I ordered and had it in 2 days. Thing that attracted me to this
one was that depth is adjustable from 13-25".

Never had one of these. Worth every penny. All the times/years of
trying to work directly above my head while ****ting pants.

http://www.industrialladder.com/prod...ID=652&categor
yID=0

That's a great price if you're in the right place. They would have
charged me $40 for shipping. Mcmaster Carr shipped me one for $72,
delivered a couple years ago.

Seems this place has multiple distribution/outlets.

http://www.industrialladder.com/cont...gion=ContactUs

The web showed $12 when it did the estimate based on zip from MD to NC.
When I called, the shipping was $8 and the item cost was a few bucks
lower.

I don't know if it is 'getting old enough to know that '****' could
happen to you', getting too stiff to maneuver comfortably, just
getting smarter, or not being on a ladder often enough anymore. . ..
But I'm with you- they make ladder work a whole lot more enjoyable.

Well 15 years ago or so I came down from only 11 ft...on to
asphalt...landed on one leg...that was straight rigid. Nine pins and a
plate later (which I had removed a year after) I say I'm grateful that
today it only hurts half the time - every other step.

My property is on a slope that makes eaves work a real joy- so I also
got a set of leg extensions that year. They add a bit to the weight
of that ladder-- but also reduce the fear of dying by gravity.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:35:37 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Oren,

[...]

Thanks! I bought the tool this morning. So far, it means I have some
work to do.

I'm about to do a corner on the fascia at 8 ft. ladder height and see
how it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
(snip)
Well 15 years ago or so I came down from only 11 ft...on to
asphalt...landed on one leg...that was straight rigid. Nine pins and a
plate later (which I had removed a year after) I say I'm grateful that
today it only hurts half the time - every other step.

Ouch! My leg hurts just reading that. A buddy at work that I eat lunch
with most days had a similar experience, and similar rebuild work. He
was off a couple of months, and it took a year before he was walking
halfway normally. Another coworker actually managed to break his
back/pelvis in a similar accident. They did what they could, but he
ain't ever gonna be right again. I was already feeling my age and being
more cautious before their accidents, since I could tell my sense of
balance wasn't what it used to be. (I started getting queasy every time
I was near a dropoff, and I used to free-climb rock and work on scaffold
all the time as a kid. WTF?)

Anyway, now I do anything off the ground a lot more carefully, and
anything higher than my 1-story roof, I pay somebody else to do.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:35:37 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Oren,

[...]

Pros & cons, keep us posted. That comment about pads @20 bucks a pop is
spooky. Resembles an inkjet printer. Buy two cartridges and the cost of
the printer is exceeded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:30:35 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:35:37 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Hi Oren,

[...]

I will keep you posted .

Pads do NOT cost $20.00. Almost, but around 15 dollars.

If this thing doesn't throw me off the ladder I expect to be okay.
Then I can report :-/

ladder stand-off question Jonathan Joseph Home Repair 10 August 4th 18 03:35 AM
Ladder Stabilizer For Extension Ladder Question Robert11 Home Repair 16 October 18th 14 01:07 PM
extension ladder stabilizer U-bolts mm Home Repair 3 July 19th 06 04:20 AM
Ladder stand-off? Geo UK diy 17 May 22nd 06 01:31 AM
Using a ladder 'stand off' - any good for this task? Keith \(Dorset\) UK diy 7 May 11th 05 07:50 PM