Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo

Default Ladder stand-off?

Need to rake out some birdnest rubbish from under a tile three rows up from the
gutter. I would prefer to have some ladder extending above the gutter for this
job.
Looked at standoffs - screwfix 10275-81
http://tinyurl.com/fcjz6

and this one (with wheels):-
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=315003

But they seem to only stand off about 350mm (14") so that with the slope of the
ladder, it might not get past the soffit (about 9") + gutter(??) - or would they
work in practice?

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Geo wrote:
Need to rake out some birdnest rubbish from under a tile three rows
up from the gutter. I would prefer to have some ladder extending
above the gutter for this job.
Looked at standoffs - screwfix 10275-81
http://tinyurl.com/fcjz6

and this one (with wheels):-
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=315003

But they seem to only stand off about 350mm (14") so that with the
slope of the ladder, it might not get past the soffit (about 9") +
gutter(??) - or would they work in practice?

Geo

So make your own..3/4" steel piping and a borrowed pipe bender,weld a flat
piece of metal to the tube,drill 2 holes in flat piece of metal for
nut&bolts to go through ladder and flat metal.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Geo wrote:
Need to rake out some birdnest rubbish from under a tile three rows up from the
gutter. I would prefer to have some ladder extending above the gutter for this
job.
Looked at standoffs - screwfix 10275-81
http://tinyurl.com/fcjz6

and this one (with wheels):-
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=315003

But they seem to only stand off about 350mm (14") so that with the slope of the
ladder, it might not get past the soffit (about 9") + gutter(??) - or would they
work in practice?

I don't like the look of that thing with wheels on. I've got the
Screwfix "Superior standoff" which is excellent - well worth the extra
fiver. It's very stable, and comfortable to use; has a large tray you
can put stuff on while you're working.

Can't comment on the dimensions you've quoted, but my ladder certainly
comfortably clears my soffits when I've got the standoff on.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Lobster wrote:
Can't comment on the dimensions you've quoted, but my ladder certainly
comfortably clears my soffits when I've got the standoff on.

This is uk.d-i-y, not uk.sex-up-ladders!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

a borrowed pipe bender

Talking of which, anyone near Telford willing to let me use their
pipe-bender for half an hour in exchange for a pint or two? I need four
bends in a bit of 2" pipe.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander

"Geo" wrote in message
Need to rake out some birdnest rubbish from under a tile three rows up
from the
gutter. I would prefer to have some ladder extending above the gutter for
this
job.
Looked at standoffs - screwfix 10275-81
http://tinyurl.com/fcjz6

and this one (with wheels):-
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/index.php?ToolID=315003

But they seem to only stand off about 350mm (14") so that with the slope
of the
ladder, it might not get past the soffit (about 9") + gutter(??) - or
would they
work in practice?

the Screwfix Superior standoff

is 570mm (less angle of ladder, do the maths if necessary) from the wall.
Very stable, securely fixed and not too heavy an object dangling at the end
of the ladder.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

a borrowed pipe bender

Talking of which, anyone near Telford willing to let me use their
pipe-bender for half an hour in exchange for a pint or two? I need
four bends in a bit of 2" pipe.

Four bends in a 2" bit of pipe, impossible!! :-P

2" circu.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Talking of which, anyone near Telford willing to let me use their
pipe-bender for half an hour in exchange for a pint or two? I need
four bends in a bit of 2" pipe.

Four bends in a 2" bit of pipe, impossible!! :-P

It might be very narrow pipe!

Anyway, I want it to make the perimeter for my new garden gate, which,
when I get the sufficient tuits will look like this
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...mages/gate.gif
with the detail done with 2" x 3/8" steel strip bent to shape and welded
in. Not sure what to do about the eye at the moment, and it'd be fun if
I could get an ear to operate the latch.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

So make your own..3/4" steel piping and a borrowed pipe bender,weld a flat
piece of metal to the tube,drill 2 holes in flat piece of metal for
nut&bolts to go through ladder and flat metal.

For diy you can make your own from wood or metal in 10 minutes, any
size you want, adjustable if you want, with whatever features you want.
That is if you understand how to make it safely, no using london
brackets.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Lobster wrote:
Geo wrote:

Need to rake out some birdnest rubbish from under a tile three rows
up from the gutter. I would prefer to have some ladder extending
above the gutter for this job.

I don't like the look of that thing with wheels on. I've got the
Screwfix "Superior standoff" which is excellent - well worth the
extra fiver. It's very stable, and comfortable to use; has a large
tray you can put stuff on while you're working.

Had a look at my "Superior Standoff" (oo-er, missus) today. When in
use, the front edge of the ladder will be held 545mm away from the wall,
measured at the top of the device. Also, it holds the ladder at 20 deg
from the vertical (that's fixed, assuming the tray is horizontal), so
Pythagoras should be able to enlighten you whether it will clear your
soffits.

Pics of it on the mfr's website at:
http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/direct/det...p?ProductID=32

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Geo

On Thu, 18 May 2006 18:45:33 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Had a look at my "Superior Standoff" (oo-er, missus) today. When in
use, the front edge of the ladder will be held 545mm away from the wall,
measured at the top of the device. Also, it holds the ladder at 20 deg
from the vertical (that's fixed, assuming the tray is horizontal), so
Pythagoras should be able to enlighten you whether it will clear your
soffits.

Pics of it on the mfr's website at:
http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/direct/det...p?ProductID=32

Thanks for the info - I think I am leaning (20deg) towards this model - the web
site shows more detail than the screwfix picture.
I have considered the suggestions about DIY construction but my attempts are
usually "over-engineered" 2 inch handy-angle contraptions and I dont fancy the
weight at the end of a 20 foot ladder.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

wrote:

Had a look at my "Superior Standoff" (oo-er, missus) today. When in
use, the front edge of the ladder will be held 545mm away from the wall,
measured at the top of the device. Also, it holds the ladder at 20 deg

from the vertical (that's fixed, assuming the tray is horizontal), so

Pythagoras should be able to enlighten you whether it will clear your
soffits.

Pics of it on the mfr's website at:
http://www.haxnicks.co.uk/direct/det...p?ProductID=32

Thanks for the info - I think I am leaning (20deg) towards this model - the web
site shows more detail than the screwfix picture.
I have considered the suggestions about DIY construction but my attempts are
usually "over-engineered" 2 inch handy-angle contraptions and I dont fancy the
weight at the end of a 20 foot ladder.

Geo

Haven't been following this but I've used this one for years

http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/product.php?xProd=334

and prefer the fact that you're not locating off just 2 points which, on
an uneven surface, I don't fancy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Alexander

wrote:

[...]

except on an uneven surface there will only ever be two points of contact
and with that design the wall chooses where but with the Screwfix Superior
standoff the uneven points of contact are guaranteed to be 750mm apart.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Jim Alexander wrote:
"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Haven't been following this but I've used this one for years

http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/product.php?xProd=334

and prefer the fact that you're not locating off just 2 points which, on
an uneven surface, I don't fancy.

except on an uneven surface there will only ever be two points of contact
and with that design the wall chooses where but with the Screwfix Superior
standoff the uneven points of contact are guaranteed to be 750mm apart.

I'd agree. Surely with "Laddersrus" you have the potential for getting a
high point along the length of the support, so it could rock side to
side. The Superior has two large pads which sit flat against the wall,
making it extremely stable.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Lobster wrote:
Jim Alexander wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message

Haven't been following this but I've used this one for years

http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/product.php?xProd=334

and prefer the fact that you're not locating off just 2 points which,
on an uneven surface, I don't fancy.

except on an uneven surface there will only ever be two points of
contact and with that design the wall chooses where but with the
Screwfix Superior standoff the uneven points of contact are guaranteed
to be 750mm apart.

I'd agree. Surely with "Laddersrus" you have the potential for getting a
high point along the length of the support, so it could rock side to
side. The Superior has two large pads which sit flat against the wall,
making it extremely stable.

David

Of course. Makes sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

wrote:

[...]

They don't supply seperately and 25ukp for a bit of bent metal? I should
coco.

This is another ripoff...
http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/pr...c0b16472b1f54b

.... and I wouldn't feel awfully happy about those rollers on it while I
was up it.

This geezer looks like he's just about to find out about see-saws the
hard way...

http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/pr...c0b16472b1f54b

--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Haven't been following this but I've used this one for years

http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/product.php?xProd=334

They don't supply seperately and 25ukp for a bit of bent metal? I should
coco.

They're in most of the sheds for less I think
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stuart Noble
saying something like:

http://www.laddersrus.co.uk/eshop/product.php?xProd=334

They don't supply seperately and 25ukp for a bit of bent metal? I should
coco.

They're in most of the sheds for less I think

For all that's in it anyway, I think I'll knock one up myself, as well
as a bottom steady.
--

Dave

ladder stand-off question Jonathan Joseph Home Repair 10 August 4th 18 03:35 AM
loft ladder mistake skyblue UK diy 13 January 22nd 06 11:03 AM
Loft ladder designs Kalle Heinänen Woodworking 6 January 6th 06 04:54 PM
Creating Ladder...suggestions? Jeb Sawyer Woodworking 5 September 8th 03 11:48 PM
Buying a ladder Mark Atherton UK diy 0 August 27th 03 06:13 PM