Posted to uk.d-i-y
skyblue

Default loft ladder mistake

due to blatant stupidity on my part I've managed to install a wooden
loft ladder kit (similar to this
http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...adders_37.html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold. I can't turn the
ladder to face the other way due to other constrictions so short of
ditching the wooden ladder and installing a standard aluminium ladder
(fortunately there is enough room in the loft to do this) do I have any
other options? Can I turn the 3 folding sections into 4 or convert the
ladder into a sliding one? Any helpful sugestions will be gratefully
received. On the positive side I do have a nice new loft hatch, I just
can't get into the loft.

TIA

skyblue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

skyblue wrote:
due to blatant stupidity on my part I've managed to install a wooden
loft ladder kit (similar to this
http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...adders_37.html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold. I can't turn the
ladder to face the other way due to other constrictions so short of
ditching the wooden ladder and installing a standard aluminium ladder
(fortunately there is enough room in the loft to do this) do I have any
other options? Can I turn the 3 folding sections into 4 or convert the
ladder into a sliding one? Any helpful sugestions will be gratefully
received. On the positive side I do have a nice new loft hatch, I just
can't get into the loft.

TIA

skyblue

Its hard to be sure about any of this without seeing it up close...
could you modify the hatch hinges/restraints so the hatch flap opens
further? Would that give you enough room then?

You will of course need hatch restraints, otherwise the ladder folds
up, but they their fixings can be moved, they might be replaced with
towrope, have a very high strength hook arrangement to give them 2
positions, etc.

If you'd asked before doing it I'd have suggested making your own
ladder, then you can make whatever works best in your space, at 1/10th
the price.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...oft_Ladders_37.
html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold. I can't turn
the ladder to face the other way due to other constrictions so short
of ditching the wooden ladder and installing a standard aluminium
ladder (fortunately there is enough room in the loft to do this) do I
have any other options? Can I turn the 3 folding sections into 4 or
convert the ladder into a sliding one? Any helpful sugestions will be
gratefully received. On the positive side I do have a nice new loft
hatch, I just can't get into the loft.

TIA

skyblue

Can we have a pic?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

skyblue wrote:
due to blatant stupidity on my part I've managed to install a wooden
loft ladder kit (similar to this
http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...adders_37.html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold.

Not with you... looking at the picture, there's no part of the ladder
which protrudes beyond the width of the hatch, so I can't follow what's
stopping it from unfolding (and therefore can't really offer any advice)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"Lobster" wrote in message
news
skyblue wrote:
due to blatant stupidity on my part I've managed to install a wooden
loft ladder kit (similar to this

http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...adders_37.html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold.

Not with you... looking at the picture, there's no part of the ladder
which protrudes beyond the width of the hatch, so I can't follow what's
stopping it from unfolding (and therefore can't really offer any advice)

David

I suspect that when pulled down, the unfolding sections pivot from the lower
part of the ladder, so will be unfolding from about halfway along the hatch.
They therefore need more clearance horizontally while unfolding. If you look
at the illustration the hatch arms don't permit the hatch to be vertically
down.

That's my theory.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it possible to modify the last pivoting section of the ladder so
that it is removeable and can be hooked in position once the top two
sections have been unfolded.......... or, get rid of the bottom section
and make a box that the upper section can land on. This box could have
a step or two in it that can be at 90 degrees to the actual direction
that you come down the ladder.

Chris.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article . com
skyblue wrote:
due to blatant stupidity on my part I've managed to install a wooden
loft ladder kit (similar to this
http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...adders_37.html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold. I can't turn the
ladder to face the other way due to other constrictions so short of
ditching the wooden ladder and installing a standard aluminium ladder
(fortunately there is enough room in the loft to do this) do I have any
other options? Can I turn the 3 folding sections into 4 or convert the
ladder into a sliding one? Any helpful sugestions will be gratefully
received. On the positive side I do have a nice new loft hatch, I just
can't get into the loft.

Can you not move the aperture so there's clearance to swing the ladder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On 17 Jan 2006 05:30:40 -0800, Kev wrote:

Bloody hell, I've just scrolled down and seen the price. Who said
that buying on the internet is cheap. Costco was about half that
price 2 or 3 years ago.

They still are about that price at Costco as well...

As for the OPs problem I think the stepped box is probably the best
solution. Provided the top of this box has at least 18" sq and clear
of the ladder foot on the top stand and turn on.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kev

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 17 Jan 2006 05:30:40 -0800, Kev wrote:

Bloody hell, I've just scrolled down and seen the price. Who said
that buying on the internet is cheap. Costco was about half that
price 2 or 3 years ago.

They still are about that price at Costco as well...

As for the OPs problem I think the stepped box is probably the best
solution. Provided the top of this box has at least 18" sq and clear
of the ladder foot on the top stand and turn on.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Looking at mine last night I can't see why you can't remove the
mechanism and hatch (not the frame) then mount it the other way round.
You might have to screw in some threaded inserts as I seem to remember
the hatch had T nuts that will now be on the opposite face to one
exposed in the frame.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Antony

skyblue wrote:
due to blatant stupidity on my part I've managed to install a wooden
loft ladder kit (similar to this
http://www.ladderstore.com/acatalog/...adders_37.html)
too close to a wall so that the ladder doesn't unfold. I can't turn the
ladder to face the other way due to other constrictions so short of
ditching the wooden ladder and installing a standard aluminium ladder
(fortunately there is enough room in the loft to do this) do I have any
other options? Can I turn the 3 folding sections into 4 or convert the
ladder into a sliding one? Any helpful sugestions will be gratefully
received. On the positive side I do have a nice new loft hatch, I just
can't get into the loft.

I have a similar one myself. They do take a lot of space (about 900mm)
in front of the hatch to unfold. If you can't move/rotate the hatch,
I'd suggest you keep the bottom two sections hinged together, but
remove the top hinge. Get a couple of decently thick pieces of steel
sheet about 6"x4" (or even better an angled piece e.g. 6"x4"x1") at
least 3mm thick. You can permanently bolt these to the bottom part of
the ladder, and then have some removable bolts/pins that join to the
top section. You should be able to reuse the existing bolt holes in the
timber. You could probably use 18mm ply instead of steel, if you
prefer.

You'd need to find some safe way of retaining the bottom section, so it
doesn't fall on you when opening the hatch...

-Antony.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cs

Default How easy are these to install? [ loft ladder mistake]

I can't offer any help with the installation mistake I'm afraid, just
wish you good luck...

As to myself I'm looking around for a proper loft ladder and I'll
probably go for one of Ladderstore's deluxe timber kits. Apart from
the logistical issue of manouvering a 41kg kit 2.8m above the floor,
installing it should just be a case of cutting the right size hole,
screwing the frame to the joists, adjusting the length, and decorating
appropriately? Right?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:59:39 +0000 (UTC), cs
wrote:

I can't offer any help with the installation mistake I'm afraid, just
wish you good luck...

As to myself I'm looking around for a proper loft ladder and I'll
probably go for one of Ladderstore's deluxe timber kits. Apart from
the logistical issue of manouvering a 41kg kit 2.8m above the floor,
installing it should just be a case of cutting the right size hole,
screwing the frame to the joists, adjusting the length, and decorating
appropriately? Right?

I've fitted two slightly different versions of these in different
places - slightly different spring mechanisms.

You don't need to lift the whole thing at once.

The bottom two sections can be removed from the top part usually with
4 bolts.

The top section can be removed from the frame/hatch assembly.

Screw two battens to the ceiling (into the joists) near the ends of
where the frame will fit.

Offer the frame up through the hole and locate into place.

Screw frame to joists.

Re-attach the ladder sections, cutting the bottom one to the correct
length.

This can all be done by one person with no heavy lifting.

--

..andy

Loft ladder designs Kalle Heinänen Woodworking 6 January 6th 06 04:54 PM
Loft Ladder Solutions with very limited clearance Antix UK diy 10 May 14th 05 11:15 PM
Who knows how loft ladders work? Ged UK diy 2 February 6th 04 12:48 PM
Loft ladder Rob Nicholson UK diy 20 January 20th 04 01:19 PM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM