Antix

Default Loft Ladder Solutions with very limited clearance

Hi,
I have a loft hatch less than a metre Sq openning and I don't really
want to hack around with the openning.

I have forward clearance into the hatch of 60cm only until it hits the
chimney breast. rearwards there's a lot more.

Anyone know of any loft ladders that may work, or any other solutions ?
all of the ladders I've seen require much larger loft hatches, and more
forward clearance to push the ladder up onto (even the ones with
adjustable pivot points). I can't reverse the approach to take
advantage of the rear clearance because that would mean approaching the
loft from the opposite direction which is prevented by the top of a
door frame..hope this diagram helps....

chimney breast

|- ------
top of door frame - \
\Ladder
\
floor -----------------------------------

thanks,
Ant.

Chris Bacon

Antix wrote:
chimney breast

|- ------
top of door frame - \
\Ladder
\
floor -----------------------------------

"Sideways job"?

Hi,
I have a loft hatch less than a metre Sq openning and I don't really
want to hack around with the openning.

I have forward clearance into the hatch of 60cm only until it hits the
chimney breast. rearwards there's a lot more.

Anyone know of any loft ladders that may work, or any other solutions ?
all of the ladders I've seen require much larger loft hatches, and more
forward clearance to push the ladder up onto (even the ones with
adjustable pivot points). I can't reverse the approach to take
advantage of the rear clearance because that would mean approaching the
loft from the opposite direction which is prevented by the top of a
door frame..hope this diagram helps....

Look at Zig-Zag by Light Alloy Ltd 01473 40445 Ipswich -( havent
checked the tel number is still correct)
They dont need any forward or backward room.
Very substantial in construction AND price !
I've had one for several years.

Robert

royall at which net
royall at which net
Christian McArdle

Anyone know of any loft ladders that may work, or any other solutions ?
all of the ladders I've seen require much larger loft hatches, and more
forward clearance to push the ladder up onto (even the ones with
adjustable pivot points).

Is there height enough above the hatch for the ladder to retract vertically
up against the chimney breast? I can't help you with suppliers, but I have
seen a ladder which retracts thusly several years ago. It looked like a
professional contraption, rather than a Heath Robinson affair. It basically
slid vertically up and down and would pivot forwards and backwards on its
lower bracket once it had gone down far enough.

Christian.

Here's some ASCII art of what I remember. I can't remember the details of
how the two piece sliding ladder was handled by the brackets. I also can't
remember how it was latched up in place. To withdraw it, you opened the
hatch, pulled the ladder down until it clicked and then extended the lower
section, whilst angling it forwards.

UP

** ||
**##|- fixed sliding bracket to hold ladder still when retracted
**##|
** ||
** ||
** ||
**##| - bracket grips side of ladder and can rotate
**##|
******+ +***
******+------------+*** - conventional loft hatch

DOWN

**##
**##
**
**
**
**##
**##
******+\\ +***
******+ \\ +***
| \\
| \\
| \\
| \\
| \\
\\
\\
\\

Look at Zig-Zag by Light Alloy Ltd 01473 40445 Ipswich -( havent
checked the tel number is still correct)
They dont need any forward or backward room.
Very substantial in construction AND price !
I've had one for several years.

Robert

royall at which net
royall at which net

http://www.lightalloy.co.uk/index.html#FIVE

royall at which net

Mike

"Antix" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I have a loft hatch less than a metre Sq openning and I don't really
want to hack around with the openning.

I have forward clearance into the hatch of 60cm only until it hits the
chimney breast. rearwards there's a lot more.

Anyone know of any loft ladders that may work, or any other solutions ?

http://www.telescopicladders.co.uk/products.asp?ID=3

Timothy Murphy

Antix wrote:

I have a loft hatch less than a metre Sq openning and I don't really
want to hack around with the openning.

If you mean 1 metre x 1 metre, this does not strike me as very small.

chimney breast

|- ------
top of door frame - \
\Ladder
\
floor -----------------------------------

Couldn't you have the ladder the other way round?
[I have an attic ladder with less space like that.]

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie

?
all of the ladders I've seen require much larger loft hatches, and

more
forward clearance to push the ladder up onto (even the ones with
adjustable pivot points). I can't reverse the approach to take
advantage of the rear clearance because that would mean approaching

the
loft from the opposite direction which is prevented by the top of a
door frame..hope this diagram helps....

chimney breast

|- ------
top of door frame - \
\Ladder
\
floor -----------------------------------

thanks,
Ant.

Youll need 3x 8' lengths of 1.5x2.4 CLS, 3" screws and 6x long tailed
brackets.

I explained how to make loft ladders like this in a post months ago,
google thornton loft ladder on google, groups. Takes an hour, costs
under a tenner all in.

Basically in this case I'd hinge it in 3 sections so it simply folds up
and sits on the hatch when closed. I'd also add a catch or
counterweight to prevent it falling when the hatch is opened. Nylon
rope, nice big fat hook in roof timber, any suitable weight.

NT

Antix

to follow up, there are actually doorways on two sides and a wall on
one so there's only one approach that works.
The hatch is 50cm by 50cm so the ZigZags are probably gonna be too
big..

like the idea of them folding up against the chimney breast...should be
enough clearance there...gonne do a google on thornton for some
ideas....

many thanks !

Ant.

Antix wrote:
to follow up, there are actually doorways on two sides and a wall on
one so there's only one approach that works.
The hatch is 50cm by 50cm so the ZigZags are probably gonna be too
big..

like the idea of them folding up against the chimney breast...should

be
enough clearance there...gonne do a google on thornton for some
ideas....

many thanks !

Ant.

I never managed to get a mental picture of your situation, I tend to
need diagrams for that. So generally... You can make your zigzags any
size, number and layout you want. If you want to put 6 folds in the
thing you can, if you really had to.

I'd generally go with a counterweight since it makes it all user
friendly.

NT

Antix

actually...the Titan TLS02 from screwfix looks like it may 'just' about
fit..I don't quite have the minimum clearance all round in the loft but
wondering whether it'll still fit.

Will take a trip to B&Q in the hope that there's one there I can take a
look at as the spec sheets I've found on the web so far don't give
enough detail on exactly how it works...any one got any more info on
this ?

thanks,
Ant.

Loft Ladder drawings snip Woodworking 0 March 29th 05 07:52 PM
Has anybody fitted this B&Q Loft ladder for £137? Is it ok? DIY Novice UK diy 1 November 24th 04 02:36 PM
Who knows how loft ladders work? Ged UK diy 2 February 6th 04 12:48 PM
Loft ladder Rob Nicholson UK diy 20 January 20th 04 01:19 PM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM