Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I buy steel reinforced washer hoses?

Just moved my washer to a new location and although the
current hoses are rubber and fairly new..... wondering
if it STILL wise to invest in steel mesh hoses?

What you guys do?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 6, 12:10*pm, wrote:
Just moved my washer to a new location and although the
current hoses are rubber and fairly new..... wondering
if it STILL wise to invest in steel mesh hoses?

What you guys do?

It's cheap insurance and one less thing to worry about. OTOH, washer
hoses are quite robust, rarely burst in common municipal pressure
situations. If you have water hammer calming plumbing, stick with the
rubber. If not, go for the reinforced hose, it's only a little $$.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jul 6, 3:10*pm, wrote:
Just moved my washer to a new location and although the
current hoses are rubber and fairly new..... wondering
if it STILL wise to invest in steel mesh hoses?

What you guys do?

steel mesh hoses. Shut off supply lines when going out of town for
periods of time. I had a burst one time, was home at the time - still
a real mess before I caught it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

LOTS cheaper than cleaning up after a flood. Steel mesh is the only way
to go. I speak from experience.

OK

Is any brand of steel mesh OK I guess?

Just buy whatever brand Lowe's or HD have?

Also, should I buy a water "pan" to set under washer as
well?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 12:10*pm, wrote:
Just moved my washer to a new location and although the
current hoses are rubber and fairly new..... wondering
if it STILL wise to invest in steel mesh hoses?

What you guys do?

If you have to de-pressurize and re-pressurize the washer hoses to
move the washer, then you should change them, especially if they are
old. Also beware of the Home Depot hoses many of them are made to
"look like" stainless braid but they are really silver-colored nylon
braid. These hoses are a big ruse and a rip off to make you think you
are getting stainless when you are really getting a cheap rubber/nylon
hose that looks stainless, HD should be ashamed and called-out on this
deception. Go to Menards where all their hoses are truly stainless
braid. Or get the more expensive HD hoses with the flow breakers,
those are actually stainless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

depends on your washers location........

in a basement with a floor drain where a burst hose cant do much
damage the braided steel line is fine.

on a second floor where a flood can bring down cielings
below..........

use the braided lines, drip pan and add a wall mount solenoid valve so
the lines are only pressurized when the washer is running.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
depends on your washers location........

in a basement with a floor drain where a burst hose cant do much
damage the braided steel line is fine.

on a second floor where a flood can bring down cielings
below..........

use the braided lines, drip pan and add a wall mount solenoid valve so
the lines are only pressurized when the washer is running.

Unless the leak is undetected for a long time? I read, not too long
ago, about a huge water bill, which I believe was a sprinkler that
leaked underground and cost multi-thousands for the water usage and some
structural damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Just moved my washer to a new location and although the
current hoses are rubber and fairly new..... wondering
if it STILL wise to invest in steel mesh hoses?

What you guys do?

All that work and you want to cheap out? Not worth the risk when you have
the ability to do better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Just moved my washer to a new location and although the
current hoses are rubber and fairly new..... wondering
if it STILL wise to invest in steel mesh hoses?

What you guys do?

As soon as you finish reading this, go buy steel reinforced hoses. They are
well worth the money, and if you've ever come home from a vacation to a
blown hose, you know what I mean.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 10:34�am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

" wrote:

LOTS cheaper than cleaning up after a flood. �Steel mesh is the only way
to go. �I speak from experience.

OK

Is any brand of steel mesh OK I guess?

I agree with the other poster who said use the rubber ones for a few
years and then when you're ready to buy new, upgrade. And watch out for
fake (simulated) steel mesh at the big box stores.

Just buy whatever brand Lowe's or HD have?

Also, should I buy a water "pan" to set under washer as
well?

I would put a pan under a water heater, but not a washer.

why not a washer? they can and do leak too
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

I agree with the other poster who said use the rubber ones for a few
years and then when you're ready to buy new, upgrade. And watch out for
fake (simulated) steel mesh at the big box stores.

New hoes are unlikely to burst, but most people are unlikely to think about
them in a year or three to bother replacing them. That is when trouble can
strike.

We often forget how old things are. I had the mother board replaced on my
computer last week. I figured it should have lasted a couple of years, but
it turns out is was installed in 2004. Sure, I'll replace them hoses after
we return from vacation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

I agree with the other poster who said use the rubber ones for a few
years and then when you're ready to buy new, upgrade. And watch out for
fake (simulated) steel mesh at the big box stores.

New hoes are unlikely to burst, but most people are unlikely to think about
them in a year or three to bother replacing them. That is when trouble can
strike.

We often forget how old things are. I had the mother board replaced on my
computer last week. I figured it should have lasted a couple of years, but
it turns out is was installed in 2004. Sure, I'll replace them hoses after
we return from vacation.

I, too, have a bad sense of time. I recently discovered that my "almost
new" washing machine is about 20 years old.

To be a little contrarian, I think it could be argued that the steel
mesh on a washer hose is counterproductive. A hose nearing the end of
its life bulges. The steel mesh doesn't really make the hose last
longer, it just restricts the bulging, which hides the imminent failure,
which could turn a fast catastrophic failure into a slow catastrophic
failure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

To be a little contrarian, I think it could be argued that the steel
mesh on a washer hose is counterproductive. A hose nearing the end of
its life bulges. The steel mesh doesn't really make the hose last
longer, it just restricts the bulging, which hides the imminent failure,
which could turn a fast catastrophic failure into a slow catastrophic
failure.

Exactly. Every instance of steel braid hose I've seen is because the braid
protects the hose from externally induced damage, not to add bursting strength
or life to the hose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can buy hoses that shut off when they detect a burst-- they do
this by restricting the flow a little bit at the far end... if the
flow is greater than that at the near end, it shuts off. They're not
expensive.

One note-- this works only if the water's on. If you shut the water
off but there's a small amount of water flow, you defeat the purpose
of the auto shut off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Shaun Eli wrote:
You can buy hoses that shut off when they detect a burst-- they do
this by restricting the flow a little bit at the far end... if the
flow is greater than that at the near end, it shuts off. They're not
expensive.

One note-- this works only if the water's on. If you shut the water
off but there's a small amount of water flow, you defeat the purpose
of the auto shut off.

I tried this type of hose and it reduced the flow too much. It took 15
minutes to fill the tub. I have high water pressure to start with. I
went back to the rubber hoses. The rubber ones are made in the USA. The
other ones are not. Chuc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 11:21*pm, blueman wrote:
writes:
" wrote:

LOTS cheaper than cleaning up after a flood. *Steel mesh is the only way
to go. *I speak from experience.

OK

Is any brand of steel mesh OK I guess?

Just buy whatever brand Lowe's or HD have?

Also, should I buy a water "pan" to set under washer as
well?

I don't know - I bought steel mesh hoses at Home Depot. About 3 years
later, I noticed puddles of water under the washer. Turns out the
steel hose was leaking from where the hose joins the fitting. I was
really disappointed given the price they charge for those hoses.

The only washing machine leak I have ever had was with one of these
hoses.

Jimmie