Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self-limiting washer hoses

At HD the other day I picked up two stainless braided washer hoses labelled
"Floodsafe." The package says "sutomatic senses hose ruptures and shuts the
water supply off when then flow of water exceed the design rate.

Has anyone used these and/or any like this? Pros? Cons?

Does it restrict the flow into the machine enough to make the wash cycle
longer as the fill time increases? I found their website:

http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh..._floodsafe.asp

but I'd rather hear from actual users . . .

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 7:45�am, "Robert Green" wrote:
At HD the other day I picked up two stainless braided washer hoses labelled
"Floodsafe." �The package says "sutomatic senses hose ruptures and shuts the
water supply off when then flow of water exceed the design rate.

Has anyone used these and/or any like this? �Pros? �Cons?

Does it restrict the flow into the machine enough to make the wash cycle
longer as the fill time increases? �I found their website:

http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh..._floodsafe.asp

but I'd rather hear from actual users . . .

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

waste of money, a partial leak will still flood your home. plus people
have complained about longer cycle time

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....

What's the input for the solenoid?

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 1, 8:20*am, dpb wrote:

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....

What's the input for the solenoid?

--

water sensor on the floor under the washer.

I always shut off the stop valves for the washer when I'm not using
it; that way the only time I have to worry about a failure is when the
washer is actually running. some people say that that makes the hoses
last longer too but I can't see how that could be as they will still
be pressurized unless your solenoid valves in the washer are leaky

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

N8N wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:20 am, dpb wrote:

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....

What's the input for the solenoid?

--

water sensor on the floor under the washer.

precisely the point...got's ta haf somethink besides just a valve...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 10:29*am, dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:20 am, dpb wrote:

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....
What's the input for the solenoid?

--

water sensor on the floor under the washer.

precisely the point...got's ta haf somethink besides just a valve...

--

I'm pretty sure I've seen ones that have an AC current flow sensor
that detects when the washing machine is on and uses that to activate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in message
At HD the other day I picked up two stainless braided washer hoses
labelled
"Floodsafe." The package says "sutomatic senses hose ruptures and shuts
the
water supply off when then flow of water exceed the design rate.

Has anyone used these and/or any like this? Pros? Cons?

Does it restrict the flow into the machine enough to make the wash cycle
longer as the fill time increases? I found their website:

http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh..._floodsafe.asp

but I'd rather hear from actual users . . .

I have had them on for a couple years now. Doesn't affect anything; I don't
use it, but my wife would sure as hell complain if anything took longer.

Don't know if they actually work, as leaks are pretty rare.

I have had two problems with the washing machine; the drain clogged and the
water level sensor clogged, causing minor floods each time. As such I would
really like a whole house solenoid (water heater, washing machine, etc.) but
the main valve and PRV are immediately before the first branch, so there is
no place to put it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 7:45*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
At HD the other day I picked up two stainless braided washer hoses labelled
"Floodsafe." *The package says "sutomatic senses hose ruptures and shuts the
water supply off when then flow of water exceed the design rate.

Has anyone used these and/or any like this? *Pros? *Cons?

Does it restrict the flow into the machine enough to make the wash cycle
longer as the fill time increases? *I found their website:

http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh..._floodsafe.asp

but I'd rather hear from actual users . . .

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

I tried to use those auto-shut-off water-hoses from HomeDepot in my
washing machine. But I had to return them because they were very
frustrating to use. They didn't cause trouble when both hot and cold
water are running to fill the washing machine with warm water. But
the waster hose in the cold water supply immediately shut off the
water flow when the washing machine started the rinse cycle that
needed cold water (and didn't need the hot water). The only way to
get water flowing is to disconnect the water hose from the cold water
supply and re-connect it -- this is a pain. The only way to get them
to work peacefully with my washing machine was to turn the valve in
the water supply to something like half. Obviously, this increased
the time in washing cloth. I have a feeling that when we ran the cold
water supply in full open, the water flow was strong enough to trigger
the water hose to shut off.

I ended up returning them and placing a battery powered water sensor
on the floor near the washing machine. It will make loud noise if it
detects water. This means someone must stay home when we use the
washing machine. This is OK with us.

Auto-shut-off water hoses are probably OK to use under a sink where we
don't want water to run in full force and have over-spray all over the
place. However they may not be suitable in areas where we expect to
run water in full force like in a washing machine. Actually, I may
even want to install them under the utility sinks in the basement. In
other words, they will have their places in my house, just not in my
washing machine.

Hope this helps.

Jay Chan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 8:20�am, dpb wrote:

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....

What's the input for the solenoid?

--

it detects the washer drawing power.

ideally you also have a washing mchine drain pan.

if we ever get a upstairs laundry room the room will have a central
floor drain in case anything leaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 1:08�pm, dpb wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've seen ones that have an AC current flow sensor
that detects when the washing machine is on ...

Hmmm....they would have to be pretty sensitive for my washer which
begins fill before anything other than that solenoid is
powered...possible, but surely not a lot of current there...

--

they are very sensitive, modern electronics and all.

it detects a minor current draw, under 1/8 of a amp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 11:31*am, Jay Chan wrote:
[...]

Jay Chan- Hide quoted text -

I just bought one of these hoses for my ice maker. Never even knew
they existed. Since it was about the same price as either copper
tubing or a regular braided hose, seems like it can't hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Some people have reported problems within this thread so I think I might
skip them since they are hard to reach to install. The last thing I want to
do is go in there after them.

Thanks

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jul 1, 10:29 am, dpb wrote:
N8N wrote:
On Jul 1, 8:20 am, dpb wrote:

if your concerned get a auto solenoid valve and forget about it....
What's the input for the solenoid?

--

water sensor on the floor under the washer.

precisely the point...got's ta haf somethink besides just a valve...

--

I'm pretty sure I've seen ones that have an AC current flow sensor
that detects when the washing machine is on and uses that to activate
the water flow solenoid. I think they plug into the wall receptacle
and then the washer plugs into it.

Yes, I've seen those, but they're in the $100+ range unlike these hoses.
(-: I've got a whole-house water shutoff, but I had a rupture that sprayed
considerable water upwards before the sensor activated. I thought these
hoses might constitute a second, quicker acting line of defense than a
sensor and a solenoid valve.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jack" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Green" wrote in message
At HD the other day I picked up two stainless braided washer hoses
labelled
"Floodsafe." The package says "sutomatic senses hose ruptures and shuts
the
water supply off when then flow of water exceed the design rate.

Has anyone used these and/or any like this? Pros? Cons?

Does it restrict the flow into the machine enough to make the wash cycle
longer as the fill time increases? I found their website:

http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh..._floodsafe.asp

but I'd rather hear from actual users . . .

I have had them on for a couple years now. Doesn't affect anything; I

don't
use it, but my wife would sure as hell complain if anything took longer.

That's interesting. They are hard to reach and install, and I would rather
not have to do it if they are going to be a problem to deal with and might
have to come out if they don't work well.

Don't know if they actually work, as leaks are pretty rare.

That's the second problem. Aside from deliberately overpressurizing them
(and I have no idea how I'd do that) it's a matter of trust in the
manufacturer's claims.

I have had two problems with the washing machine; the drain clogged and

the
water level sensor clogged, causing minor floods each time. As such I

would
really like a whole house solenoid (water heater, washing machine, etc.)

but
the main valve and PRV are immediately before the first branch, so there

is
no place to put it.

That's too bad. I found one that had a 3/4" compression fitting so even a
bad solderer could install one with a couple of huge wrenches and a tubing
cutter. I assume there's not enough pipe coming out of the wall to insert
to the valve. I had about a 2 foot run of copper pipe from the wall to the
main valve (no pressure reducer that I can see) so it was a snap.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds like a good analysis of the problem. We often use either all
hot or all cold water for washing or rinsing, so we're very likely
candidates to experience the failure mode you've described. Lengthening the
fill time is tolerable as long as it isn't too long. Careful adjustment of
the supply valves might overcome the "shutdown on cold/hot only" problem but
that's a bit of pain.

I ended up returning them and placing a battery powered water sensor
on the floor near the washing machine. It will make loud noise if it
detects water. This means someone must stay home when we use the
washing machine. This is OK with us.

I bought a couple of them for backup sensing for the main water shutoff.
Not loud enough to save the basement if the hose ruptures when I am mowing
the lawn.

Auto-shut-off water hoses are probably OK to use under a sink where we
don't want water to run in full force and have over-spray all over the
place. However they may not be suitable in areas where we expect to
run water in full force like in a washing machine. Actually, I may
even want to install them under the utility sinks in the basement. In
other words, they will have their places in my house, just not in my
washing machine.

I didn't even think of using them elsewhere. Good idea.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news:90d84d72-4808-4fc1-b1f3-

stuff snipped

I just bought one of these hoses for my ice maker. Never even knew
they existed. Since it was about the same price as either copper
tubing or a regular braided hose, seems like it can't hurt.

They're probably best suited to something like an icemaker where flow rate
is minimal to begin with. The price, as you point out, was right. In fact,
it was so right, I didn't even notice these had the rupture protector until
I opened the bag!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That sounds like a good analysis of the problem. *We often use either all
hot or all cold water for washing or rinsing, so we're very likely
candidates to experience the failure mode you've described. *Lengthening the
fill time is tolerable as long as it isn't too long. *Careful adjustment of
the supply valves might overcome the "shutdown on cold/hot only" problem but
that's a bit of pain.

I am not sure if using hot-water-only will trigger this problem or
not. Never try.

Auto-shut-off water hoses are probably OK to use under a sink where we
don't want water to run in full force and have over-spray all over the
place. *However they may not be suitable in areas where we expect to
run water in full force like in a washing machine. *Actually, I may
even want to install them under the utility sinks in the basement. *In
other words, they will have their places in my house, just not in my
washing machine.

I didn't even think of using them elsewhere. *Good idea.

Actually, it is probably more useful for a sink in an upstair bathroom
than for a washing machine. If a water supply hose in upstair
bathroom ruptures, it will send a lot of water going down the floor to
the ceiling downstair and onto the basement. It will cause a lot more
damage than just the basement if you are not at home. Now I think
about this, I may go out and buy some for myself.

Jay Chan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news:2a6eeb74-f3ef-4e94-9e37-

stuff snipped

I tried the "Floodsafe" toilet supply lines because it sounded like a
good idea. Unfortunately the only way I could get them to work was to
choke down the supply valve so far down that it took over five minutes
for the toilet to refill. Normal flow into the toilet would shut off
the water supply instantaneously. I have heard similar stories so I
won't be buying anymore until the bugs get worked out.

Hmmmm. I really don't want to dramatically lengthen the time it takes to
fill the washing machine. I guess I am going to have to hook them up and
see what happens. I also don't want the solution to be worse than the cure,
i.e. having to uncouple the hoses each time they get "locked up." I get
enough of that crap from my PC!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 6:45*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
At HD the other day I picked up two stainless braided washer hoses labelled
"Floodsafe." *The package says "sutomatic senses hose ruptures and shuts the
water supply off when then flow of water exceed the design rate.

Has anyone used these and/or any like this? *Pros? *Cons?

Does it restrict the flow into the machine enough to make the wash cycle
longer as the fill time increases? *I found their website:

http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/wh..._floodsafe.asp

but I'd rather hear from actual users . . .

TIA,

--
Bobby G.

I have not had a problem with the flow stopper check valve kicking in
under normal use. My street utility pressure is 95PSI (fairly high
for a municipality), the washer is a Maytag built in 1998, the hoses
are fed with 5/8 copper, valves wide open. I suppose if you have a
washer where the solenoid really opens full and fast it can cause the
hose to think its a disconnect and the check valve will kick in
though. I also installed them on my kitchen sink (as that sits right
above the electrical panel in the basement). I can turn on the
kitchen sink as fast as possible and the flow stopper does not kick
in, but I hope it kicks in should it need to.

The real reason I bought these over the non-flow stoppers was because
if you look closely at the Home Depot regular hoses they are really
not stanless steel braided, they are silver nylon braided made to look
like metal, (this ruse fools a lot of home depot shoppers). But the
flow stopper ones were actually stainless braided and the real reason
they cost so much more. I would never buy regular hoses at home depot
simply because they are not really stainless steel (at least in my
neighborhood), I go to Menards where all their hoses are stanless
steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RickH" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't notice that the used stainless steel look-a-likes. I guess I'll be
keeping them, then. In a worst case scenario, it looks as if I can remove
the small valve assembly in the hoses if they prove to be too much of a
bother. Thanks for the input.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As a major appliance repairman, I can confidently tell you that
Floodsafe brand hoses fail in normal operation by turning off water to
the washer when there is no leak. Consequently, this often leads to
an unnecessary service call.

I think that this product is a sort of belt and suspenders thing. You
get the braided hoses, then you get an added feature that turns off
the flow if the hose bursts. Braided hoses are enough for the average
homeowner and people should quit worrying about the matter. It isn't
rocket science to check your hoses. If they look or feel weak, change
them.