Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Chan Jay Chan is offline

Default Self-limiting washer hoses

That sounds like a good analysis of the problem. *We often use either all
hot or all cold water for washing or rinsing, so we're very likely
candidates to experience the failure mode you've described. *Lengthening the
fill time is tolerable as long as it isn't too long. *Careful adjustment of
the supply valves might overcome the "shutdown on cold/hot only" problem but
that's a bit of pain.

I am not sure if using hot-water-only will trigger this problem or
not. Never try.

Auto-shut-off water hoses are probably OK to use under a sink where we
don't want water to run in full force and have over-spray all over the
place. *However they may not be suitable in areas where we expect to
run water in full force like in a washing machine. *Actually, I may
even want to install them under the utility sinks in the basement. *In
other words, they will have their places in my house, just not in my
washing machine.

I didn't even think of using them elsewhere. *Good idea.

Actually, it is probably more useful for a sink in an upstair bathroom
than for a washing machine. If a water supply hose in upstair
bathroom ruptures, it will send a lot of water going down the floor to
the ceiling downstair and onto the basement. It will cause a lot more
damage than just the basement if you are not at home. Now I think
about this, I may go out and buy some for myself.

Jay Chan