Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Should I buy steel reinforced washer hoses?

Smitty Two wrote:

To be a little contrarian, I think it could be argued that the steel
mesh on a washer hose is counterproductive. A hose nearing the end of
its life bulges. The steel mesh doesn't really make the hose last
longer, it just restricts the bulging, which hides the imminent failure,
which could turn a fast catastrophic failure into a slow catastrophic
failure.

Exactly. Every instance of steel braid hose I've seen is because the braid
protects the hose from externally induced damage, not to add bursting strength
or life to the hose.